1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Restaurant that left you disappointed

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by duoglide, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duoglide

duoglide Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like many, I'm always reading up on places to eat for my Vegas trips.

There's a great thread about best meals and that got me wondering: what is the place that you were excited to try but left disappointed?

I'm not looking for food court places but big restaurants on the strip that came with high expectations but didn't live up to the anticipation.

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heritage Steak at Mirage.

In the past, I’ve had some excellent experiences at Colicchio’s other steak joint, Craftsteak at MGM*. So I had high hopes for this one as well. And things started great. Great cocktail, great appetizer and one of the best sides I’ve eaten (Brussels sprouts). But the steak(s) were terrible. The first one was well done (I ordered rare). The replacement was probably medium well – not even close to rare. I didn't send this one back as I was sitting there with a side getting cold and I didn't want to wait all night for them to finally get their act together. Of course, the steak – ribeye - was so thin (1/2” at most) there would be no possible way to get it anywhere close to rare or medium rare. And the temp wasn’t the only thing wrong with the steak. It had that “lighter fluid” taste that bad weekend grillers get on their steak from flare ups. And other than that, there wasn’t much flavor to it at all.

It wasn’t a total loss. As I mentioned, everything else was great. And the service was acceptable - I ate at the bar. But the whole point is the steak, right? And I can say without hyperbole that the steak was the worst I’ve ever had in a (supposedly) high end steakhouse.

I should also mention that I was offered nothing in compensation (I'm not saying I deserved something, but it would have been a nice gesture to comp something or bring a free dessert). Not only that, but they didn't take the side away and replace it. They just left it there while they tried to get me a properly cooked steak. I didn't insist on them replacing it because it was so good and I couldn't stop eating it. lol

*A subsequent trip to Craftsteak left me feeling that quality is slipping. I didn’t have a bad experience. But it wasn’t great either…everything was just “pretty good”.

3. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Wynn Buffet in recent years. It used to be the undisputed "best buffet in Vegas", since they always had a unique and varied selection that was restaurant quality or better. If it was still at its earlier level of quality, it would blow Bacchanal Buffet out of the water, but alas, that is no longer the case. The Wynn Buffet of now still serves good quality food, but it no longer have the selection it used to have and is just another carbon copy buffet.

4. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stack- not horrible but not a good value much better options for same price range.

Sushi roku- good atmosphere but sushi was lacking

Scarpetta- food was good service was terrible

5. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carnevino

Food was average and service was terrible.

6. Universal

Universal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, the most disappointing meal I've ever had in Vegas relative to expectations was SW Steakhouse at Wynn. There were four of us dining and three of the four filets we ordered were WAY overcooked. We had waited so long past our reservation time to get seated that we didn't feel like having them re-cooked. Our server was also a dick. Left a bad taste and we've never returned.

7. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Hash House, I realize it's an inexpensive diner type place but I had high hopes for it because of all the positive reviews. I was very disappointed. I ordered one of those main signature dishes and thought it was really bland. Tasted like something I might make myself if I was drunk and just throwing various comfort foods into a pan. I didn't like the atmosphere of the place either (Quad location). I wasn't expecting much but it felt like a high school or hospital cafeteria to me.

Nonetheless I'm going to give it another shot.

8. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

china poblano...overpriced ridiculously small plates, no matter which cuisine was getting tweaked.

of everything, over 30 years and 50 trips, the most overhyped and underwhelming of the higher end places hugos cellar.

i probably should give it another chance, but just cannot make myself do it, not when triple george, redwood grill, and vic and anthonys are right there!

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craftsteak.
    Most of the trendy "Mex" joints save BG.
    Battista's didn't disappoint because it just sucks.
    Maggiano's.
    Olives.
    Binion's steak joint.

10. VegasLambie

VegasLambie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THIS! I totally felt this way plus I felt like the server and sommelier were totally drunk. I was sorely disappointing and haven't really been back to Fremont Street. At least I was with my SO and a good friend and we can laugh about it to this day. I felt like I let them down because I had hyped it. I'll stick to the strip.

11. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Battista's Hole In the Wall. The atmosphere was cool old school Vegas. The food was very average family Italian style, that wasn't special enough to warrant a return trip.

-Max

12. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rao's and Javier's are probably the worst offenders in my opinion.

Rao's is particularly egregious considering how they are serving basic, red sauce Italian at prices which are borderline insulting. Sinatra is dangerously similar food wise--limited, conservative, boring menu--but at least the decor and service are excellent. Javier's uses the exact same garnishes on every single dish, food is bland, and again prices are too high for how middle of the road the food is. I want to like all three of these places, have visited multiple times, and they are just disappointing.

13. johnjagg

johnjagg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Burger Bar - Better burgers to be had at plenty of other places
    Heritage Steak - Steak actually had a pretty good flavor, but not worth what we paid. Also service was abysmal in the lounge.
    Battistas - just bad
    Fleur - boring, and uninspired
    Sage - main dishes were nothing special
    Holsteins - another disappointing burger
    Todd English Pub - nothing I couldn't get where I live and done better

14. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gordon Ramsay, won't go back
    Hash House, will try again.

15. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah, I can’t believe I forgot about Ramsay’s place. Gordon Ramsay’s Pub at Caesars was horrendous. Terrible service and bland food. At least with my bad experience at Heritage, there were some positives to the meal. At GR Pub, there were no such silver linings. Everything was awful.

With the exception of the time I drunkenly thought, “how bad can Sbarro’s really be?”, this was probably the worst meal I’ve had in Vegas…and I’ve had the IP buffet!

I read good reviews about his steak place and burger joint and I want to try them. But I don't think I'll ever be able to give them a chance.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Raos and Blondies. Raos should have been a life altering experience based on the hype and wasn't. Plus our server was mentally checked out and they had only been open for a couple months at that point. Blondies sucked because we ordered typical bar food like nachos and chicken fingers and they were overpriced and bland. How do you mess stuff like that up?

17. kfn8ed

kfn8ed Tourist

Triple George. Food, meh. Service, blah.

18. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I second Gordan Ramsey...and I got duped twice! Must have been the hot hostesses and waitresses that made me try it the second time.

19. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, Binion's Steakhouse. Just horrible. Andres at Monte Carlo. Nothing special. Glad we had a coupon. Rosemary's was good but not worth the drive. GR Pub at Caesars was not good. I had just returned from Yorkshire, UK so my taste buds are calibrated to English food and this was worse that the food in England.

After hearing so much bad at Battista's, my wife and I went there to see if it was really that bad. We'd go back. It was quite nice.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dang, forget out Rao's. Not bad, per se, but more over puffed than your typical overhyped/under-delivering Super Bowl game. Talk about flat. Wow, that place needs food orthotics. Ridiculous.

I'd put Gallagher's on the steak-mistake list.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.