1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wie wins the big one

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was critical for a very long time of the decisions being made on Wie's "behalf" by her parents and handlers. But she did the time, found herself, pieced it all back together, and it was just rockin' to see here take the U.S. Women's Open last weekend! Hopefully she keeps the new spirit and churns on as a juggernaut in a wholly revitalized American women's golf scene.

(And props to Kevin Streelman for a record finish and his second victory. One of THE nice guys out on tour.)

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually IMHO it was her putting that helped her win. She has always been a subpar putter and probably would have won more tournaments if she had putted better. She saved herself this past sunday on 16 with a double bogey saving putt and sealed it with a long birdie putt on 17.

Her putting style is unorthodox but it works for her. Hope that it continues to help her win more tournaments, she has the rest of the tools to do good.

I don't like the hype that many are pushing (comparing her to tiger woods, or being one of the great women golfers, etc. etc.), like other golfers (Inbee Park, Yani, etc.) MW is having a great year, just let her continue to have fun and don't put pressure on her by trying to compare her to tiger or other great golfers.

As for prior decisions, I think it was more Michelle having high aspirations (playing with the men, playing the masters, part time golfer/college coed, etc.) that caused some of the problems. The parents didn't reign her in and allowed her to do it her way which caused a lot of questioning of the Wie camp. Now she is done with college, she can concentrate on golf full time, let's hope with her improved putting she can win a lot more tournaments and possibly be a dominant golfer on the women's tour (hopefully no more talk about playing with the men IMHO).

I saw her at the gym in Honolulu prior to the Lotte tournament, man she is tall and lanky. I didn't want to bother her, she has enough attention from the public. I met her when she was a jr golfer (my nephews were also jr golfers at the time) with a lot of potential.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No "IMHO" needed. Her putting certainly has been the missing link, even this year at times.

But she also needed to fundamentally rebuild her confidence and ball striking leading up to this point, and adopting that crazy plank thing as the last piece of the puzzle. Going to Stanford, getting her degree, being a "normal" college kid -- well, as much as you can with a huge NIKE contract and all the hoopla -- allowed Michelle the Golfer to finally come together.

Michelle's had the "greatest since sliced bread" yoke since she was 13. Any expectations or overblown talk isn't new, it's 11 years old. It's just been on hiatus as she sorted through all the crap foisted upon here, as she found herself. Putting aside, she's by far the best golfer in the women's game. She's a bomber who can thread irons. That's one helluva combo. She's a real Tom Watson-like performer in many ways with her grit and rebound.

4. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for her. Clutch birdie on 17.

But, you know, she should, you know, like do something, you know, about her poor public speaking.

5. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just watching her putt gives me a back ache.........nice job though......

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, the girl did go to Stanford. It's not as if she's went to Berkeley. ;) Yes, she needs to add a speaking tutor to her posse. So do many kids that age.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you want to teach someone how to maintain spine angle... wow, she has got some big fluid swing totally under control.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very perceptive, Snide. Good call!

Hey, have fun at Badlands. Bring extra ammo!

9. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flash that Shaka sign girl! You earned it.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After the blowup on 16 I noticed how she was still smiling and loose.
    That's when I knew she'd hold on, which, with the putt on 17, she did.
    I did think the fairway waste area sand shot was ill advised but she's a grown woman now and is quite comfortable in her game and life.
    It really shows.

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I'll have at least a dozen. Hope that's enough. Looks like there's not a lot of grip and rip it holes. I should be able to keep a 5 wood in play. I hope.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bit of a design bugaboo. "Can hit driver" and "should hit driver" are not necessarily the same concept, but the choice needs to be offered with some regularity. Still, a better Vegas play. I'm looking forward to hearing about conditioning as that's been the historic concern out there through a revolving door of folks running the show.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will let you know. It's run by the same folks that run Primm. Not sure what that has to do with the folks that actually work there but the folks at Primm last year were very nice. Seemed like a family run golf course that appreciated the folks playing the course.

14. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a bad feeling in my stomach watching her play 16, I was just thinking to myself, "lay up in the fairway, get it on the green and two putt at worst for a bogey!" She sure put that hole behind her quickly though following it up with that birdie on 17. I was really happy to see her hold on for the win. American women hadn't won back to back majors since 2010.

15. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that as your wife won the open.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.