1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Palms practicies discrimatory policy against locals who stay in the hotel.

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by Funkhouser, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's odd but I would like to hear their side of it before getting excited over it.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they have local hood rats trashing the place. I worked at a rental car place and out of towners treated the cars with respect, locals beat the shit out of them.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

When we moved out of So Cal our car insurance dropped 50 percent and homeowners about 40. Obviously we were being discriminated against. :thumbsup:

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, we we moved out of Vegas car insurance on the same two cars dropped 60% for the same coverage. Hard to compare our Vegas house to the WI one, but it was also much cheaper.

6. billyinpg

billyinpg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess would be locals are trashing the place, we have a couple of places here that will not let anyone within 50 miles of town stay. It was because the locals were trashing the rooms.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i know when renting a car as a local i have to fill out extra paper work and sign extra stuff becuase they say we steal them all time and this is coming from somebody who lived in ny, i was shocked but true

8. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my guess is it might have to with 2 things the recent shooting, and the fact that locals are just using them for parties and trashing them.so pay 50$ for a room and 50$ hold and trashing there losiong there shirt.

not dont shot me there clientel ill put it as politcaly corect as i can has gone alittle gangster so there might be that element

ps ive seen the beverage butler , hes there usualy at nite

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of our locals in KC, whom has a nephew that has won some Golden Globes AND an Oscar use to rent from us and we had to charge her a $250 cleaning/trashing fee because the Taurus she once rented came back and the carpet had a 4 foot wide hole in the trunk carpet over where the spare is. I hate to say it, probably not discriminatory, but something they are doing to cover losses.

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing to remember here is: This was all just from one person's account (Zack's) and in the same article they caught Zack embellishing things (he says there is no more Beverage Butler at all, but when Vegas Chatter phones to confirm they are told the program is still in effect, just with peak hours)

And Zack says he pressed the check in clerk and they said the increase rate is because locals can't be trusted - that sounds more like Zack's own thoughts on the matter as its not likely a hotel clerk would really say anything like that and instead would just hide behind the "Sorry sir, thats the company's policy for Las Vegas area residents" for that we really are just hearing one person's side to the story here.

Plus its also plausible that this is all just something like Zack phoning in and asking whats the CC deposit and being told on the phone its $50 per night then when he gets there he might be staying for 5 nights and they want to hold the whole amount at once. Thats pretty common and has gone on to surprise a few people at check in with some of the amounts hotels want to hold at night.

11. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ill actualy be there tonight so ill poke around but i doesnt effect most people

12. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My point.of the article was to raise the question, is it acceptable to have desperate policies based on your physical address. Outside of risk based businesses, I say no.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say letting out temporary quarters worth x bucks is a risk-based business, so, yes, I think it's fair.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So is the question you're asking, "does this bother you?" Or is it, "do you think this a wise business practice?"

If the former: No. I suppose it would probably irk me if I was a Las Vegan. But I can't fathom taking offense to it on principle. If they see a risk, I can't blame them for attempting to mitigate it. It's a for profit (at least in principle if not in practice) Enterprise after all.

If the latter: No clue. My immediate reaction was the same as Ken and Joe (the insurance angle). So I really can't quite understand a non local taking offense enough to boycott (assuming your previous opinion was a positive one).

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly!

16. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Determining a hotel deposit is a risk-based assessment though. I bet back in the days when rockstars acted like rockstars the hotels they stayed at held huge deposits. I wouldn't call it discriminatory because its not unfair. When locals book hotel rooms they probably are more likely to book them solely for partying than tourists are. I don't blame a hotel for pricing accordingly. Same with how insurance actuaries price your premiums where your address does matter.

If they start doing it based on your race, sex, religion, we have laws against that regardless of any data they might have to support different levels of risk. I don't think your physical address is covered by any of those laws, but maybe I'm wrong.

17. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

you are correct infact they can do it for insurance by zipcode , as i said too rent a car in vegas i have to sign extra papers at some of the rentral car places and was told do to local theft

18. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just don't see the correlation between physical address and hotel risk. In fact I would think it would be easier to charge someone or pursue damages against a resident of the state. To me it's a dick move to drive out locals. I bet most of the people favoring the policy who take issue if they had to book a hotel.locally in their home town and got the same screws turned on them.

19. Kickin

Kickin Flea

First, I think the entire hotel deposit issue gets overblown on VMB. Before joining this board I never even thought about it since its not an actual expense. I know I'm not alone in that.

Second, you're right if a deposit was an issue to me I might be pissed. But then I can argue discriminatory pricing in tons of bigger things that are actual expenses (e.g. taxes, insurance). I also think saying anyone is in "favor" of it is a bit of stretch. For me its more like I don't really see it as a big deal. But if you wanted me to sign a petition to change that policy I'd go ahead and sign it. Fight the power!

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of two things are at work here, and more likely it is two of two things: The hotel has numbers showing that locals are higher risk. The hotel has numbers showing that locals are comp-sucking deadbeats. Either way/both ways it's ONLY a deposit, it comes back if you don't go all Joe Walsh on the TV. It's a non-starter as Kick says above.

As for booking a hotel locally, our house is far nicer than anything around here, we have a far better wine selection, the TV is gonzo, the soaker tub is killer, the food can't be beat, the fire pit is so inviting and the view is stunning. Why would I want to spend money staying at a hotel? That's why we go on vacation; you know, Mexico, Hawaii, places. :rolleyes2:

And I'd venture to say locals elsewhere don't go all Joe Walsh on hotel rooms like the numbers seem to suggest Vegasians do in Vegas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.