1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cold feet, need advice... (Excalibur vs ANYWHERE ELSE!)

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by okthen, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okthen

okthen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's my deal. I'm attending a small bachelor party this weekend (6/27-6/29). The party is staying at Excalibur. I have a room booked there, but I'm really having a difficult time going through with actually staying there, and I need somebody to talk me in to keeping that room or staying somewhere (anywhere!) else.

A few notes on the group dynamic:
    -It's a small group (5 total) and they don't have anything specific planned at Excalibur, they picked it due to cheapest room on the strip. I'm guessing we won't actually spend much time there.
    -The only planned fun is sushi and strippers Saturday night (dinner at Shibuya followed by a trip to the Rhino).
    -I do think the group will stick together for most of the weekend, it's a fun group and they are all up for whatever.
    -I go to Vegas more than everybody else in this crowd and normally stay at Bellagio, Cosmo, or Wynn/Encore, hence my hesitation to go from nicer resorts to the broken kiddie castle. But for reference I stayed a night at Luxor a few years back and enjoyed it, although we didn't really hang out the public areas much.

So as I see it my options are:
    1. Stay at the Excalibur with the others.
    2. Stay at NYNY, Mandalay or MGM (close enough to the excalibur, will cost me $50-100 more which I'm fine with). Benefit here being a nicer room, and probably a better pool/room service/etc if I find myself looking for such things)
    3. Stay "up north" at Cosmo/Aria/Bellagio and be a vegas snob.

3 is probably out as it's too far location wise from the group, but would you consider it a "jerk move" to be that guy and stay across the street from the rest of the crowd? Maybe even a West Wing room at MGM because they have much quicker strip access.

What say you, vegasmessageboard?? What's a guy to do, slum it with the boys, or be that guy across the street??

Cheers!

2. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No doubt. 1

3. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay at Mandalay and take the tram to Excalibur.

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slum it with the boys. We had a trip out of Vegas planned a few years ago, ended up canceling and needing a room in Las Vegas last minute. Stayed at Excalibur. It wasn't that bad, and I'm a Bellagioi girl.

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    book a better room but dont tell any one when every one crashes just head over there with the stripers

or just stay up much beter than staying in excalibur its like being homeless anyway

rhino is open 24 hours so problem solved

6. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just stay at excalibur and with your money u saved if your on a limited bankroll play with all the money you saved

Hell stay with your group..I'm sure you will have fun no matter what

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay with the group.

8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, you have to just suck this one up. I was on a similar bachelor party last year, and thankfully I was at least able to convince them to take MGM Grand over Excalibur/Luxor; of course, they then proceeded to pack 6 people in a Signature room while I had a Tower Spa Suite to myself, so it worked out pretty well. But you're going to want to be with the guys, and if they're cheap enough to want to stay at Excalibur, that's probably where they're going to want to gamble and hang out, too.

9. okthen

okthen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for weighing in. Seems the early consensus is to stay the course. Shoot.

44inarow - MGM would be fun with this group but they started out with looking at using some groupon to stay way off strip. I nixed that thankfully, but now we're at Excalibur. At least we are on the strip and can property hop as we please.

I do have the Bellagio booked for a late summer trip, so all is not lost if I stay at the Excalibur this time around.

10. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you value the friendship with these guys at all, I'd stay where the group stays unless you can convince any of them that you are "that" much better than them to stay in nicer accommodations. IMO it's a bit of a slap in the face of what you are contemplating. I may be out in left field on this but that's how I would feel with this situation if one of "my" guys in our gang did that to me. Good luck Okthen, and let us know what you are going to do (out of curiosity).

edit... oops looks like you've already decided (2 min before I posted this)..... Congrats & have a blast!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. okthen

okthen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam - good point. That's the reason Excalibur is where I booked in the first place, to go along with the group. I'm just getting cold feet now that the trip is on the horizon and I know how great the other resorts are.

12. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I'm another who'd suggest staying the course with your boys. I'd make an attempt to talk them into a nicer place but if they don't go for it then make the best of the castle and just get drunk so you don't do anything but pass out when you're there.

13. ref59405

ref59405 Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be one of the boys and stay where they are. Not eveyone gets the chance to do what you are doing. I tried a guys trip a few years ago and everyone bailed but me and one other person. The boys trip ended up being just 2 of us. Going with 4 ot 5 other people sounds like a blast. Enjoy it and have fun!

First time staying this far down the strip
    Boy's trip
  14. johnjagg

johnjagg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go more than the other guys you'll have other chances to stay at your preferred places. Be part of the party. Some of these guys may never make it back to Vegas. Use the money saved at the tables and stay at Excalibur.

15. ex507

ex507 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if some people dont like to hear that but its all about the group and the people (your buddies) and not about the quality of the room. Stick to your bros, bro! Better excal and hanging out with your friends than slapping them in the face and rip the group apart..!

16. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say stick with the bros, too. As nice as it is to have your own room at a place you desire, sticking it out with your buddies is better. Plus you'll be able to look back at the experience in 20 years and say "Remember that time we all stayed at the dump called Excalibur?? Thank goodness they demolished it!"

17. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay with your boys, but make sure you show them the nicer resorts YOU like, then possibly next time they'll let you handle the resort arrangements. Whatever you do, don't be the sour pussed fuckface that bitches and kvetches about what a suck dick hotel they chose. That dude is a dick and a snob and a downer. Fuck that guy. If you want to rip them to shreds do it here, in a lovely section we have calle "Trip Reports." Regardless dude, you're in the best and most exciting city on the planet no matter what kind of room your drunk ass passes out in.

18. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I'll pile on and say stay with your friends as well. Especially on a bachelor party or any guys trip. I never came back from one of those trips thinking it was a good time because I had a nice room. It's the shenanigans you'll remember and you'll be missing out on some of them if you're not staying with everyone.

19. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First world problem...

20. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no problem with the Castle myself that's my home base for all my solo trips to Vegas. On all my group outings to Vegas we just pick the group dates for being in Vegas together, everyone picks there own airline and own hotels unless you are bunking with someone. Some people arrive a day or 2 b4 and some leave a day or 2 after the date and that everyone is happy. If the Castle bothers you that much, and apparently it does, your attitude might bring the trip down some so if I were you I would book where I wanted to stay, tell your boys and rent a cabana at your nice pool and invite the crew to the good life. And don't forget a couple rounds of drinks on you for the cherry on top!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.