1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Entry to Tourney or Promo Chips?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by RiddickBull, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked my next trip at the Cosmo with free entry to the 100k slot tourney. I asked my host if I could combine my other offer (1k promo chips with $200 resort credit) with the slot entry. She said I could book entry or promo chips, not both. The tourney is invite only so I assume a few hundred people will enter.

What offer would you choose?

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First question would be: would you want to play in a slot tournament?
    If your other offer is for promo chips then that would probably indicate that you are primarily a table games player, some of whom hate slots and wouldn't want to do a tournament, and then with slot tournaments often the non top prizes are in slot play so even if you wound up winning a couple of thousand for a high place finish you might end up with a bunch of slot play.

Otherwise, if you are looking for "what is the best value?" its probably going to be the promo chips and resort credit.

Yes, with the slot tournament there would be a chance to get more (for a 100K tournament the top prize is probably going to be in the area of 15-25K) but there is a usually a better chance that you get nothing (usually 20-50% of the field gets a prize, depending on the tournament structure).

For me I am more of a slot player, but to choose between the two I would probably go with the promo chips and resort credit.

3. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would take the promo chips

slots are so random

my guess is at 100k top prize is 50 k and down , but its pure luck and you could have a few hundred people ive done tourneys with up to 800 people plus rebuys even with invite only

4. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Paper is right on 1k in promo chips all day Long Riddick

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without knowing how many entries, it's impossible to tell which is the better value. But if you could get an answer to that, and you know how much prize money/promo chips is involved, it's an easy calculation. Of course then you have to decide how much NOT having to show up and slap a slot for X minutes is worth...

FWIW, in my experience (with Wynn only) the slot tourneys always have the higher expected value and usually by 2X or so...yet I've still never played in one. (Not having to follow a schedule is far too valuable to me...the EV of the slot tourney just can't compete.)

6. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I booked the tourney last week or so, they told me 70 spots were left. but didn't give me the amount of entrees. The offer states first place is paid in cash and the rest is Identity Play.

I play tables mostly and mess around on slots and VP. I was leaning towards the 1k promo chips after booking the tourney entry. I'm guessing placing is a slim chance in these tourneys. It's probably better going with the sure thing.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i do alot of tourneys , also rember this , if u win the top prize u will be taxed on it if its paid in cash, not fun a 50 k hit suxs at the end of the year.

if the others are paid in promo it will be slots and it will be loaded on ur card so you will have to cycle it through and get what ever u win.

also they expect u to gamble anyway as ur on there dime.

thats just my 2 cents and opinion.

i hate slot tourneys and slot machines hate me.

if it was a bj atleast u have some control of you out come to a point

psss, i was just playing slots at cosmo last weekend, just my opinion but please all chime in , there machines are fuckin tight

8. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, I didn't win shit on them either. I loss 1k quick.

9. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i dont feel bad

i went there the other nite i had had ton of promo chips to cycle through , won 3 grand at bj real quick , used half my cash half there chips with my bet each time , then hung out people watched played the top buxs and lost dam there machines are tight, i lost on mega buxs a few weeks before that,wound up aria playing real bj later that nite and won nicely.

10. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just called the VIP services. The guy on the phone said I could keep my offer with the slot tourney then pick up the promo chips (no resort credit) at the cage also; I just need to show ID and players card. They said you don't need to book an offer when redeeming promo chips. Damn host.

I know you are a local Paper. Do they let you just pick up promo chips without booking an offer including comp nights?

11. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all my promo chip offers come as a weekly local offers with a free buffet so theres no hotel attached to the offer, i just walk in go to the cage and its in the computer.i have 7 days to claim it, then a new one starts. they just give the one time use chips. sorry not much help except it should be in your acoount the cage should beable to pull it up.

12. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:

The PROMO chips they give my require I book the offer code with the room. So I usually book the room check in and pick up the chips and leave. I stay in the room I like the most. I usually just book one night but sometimes they make me book two. I just check out from my phone.

Good luck RiddickBull. We need to to all get together sometime for drinks and Baccarat.

13. jmahls

jmahls Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have never replied but have had plenty of offers for various events. For me, with CET I have found my promo offers have been much better as I would have had to guarantee a top 20 finish to come our ahead. I hate most of those lottery tournies though so to each their own.

14. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally get no satisfaction in slot tournies, but probably because I have never won. just sit at a random machine and press the button as fast as possible to hope you get the most points....

id rather get the chips. Sometimes I feel like the cage doesn't care, and you can always pick up your promo chips monthly. Ive tried it once, came to cosmo to play in May, was not staying there but the cage let me grab the promo chips.

fk

15. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info.

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slot Tourney's are just a ploy to keep you in the hotel since you have to come back at weird times and play. But it's 100% random.

17. Stevie D

Stevie D VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bird in the hand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.