1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Envelope System

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by thekillers, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekillers

thekillers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm going to try the envelope system this trip. Just curious, how much can you bring on a plane with you, in the carry on? Is there a limit or is that only for international flights? Not that I probably even come anywhere close to that but I was wondering if there was a limit to the amount of cash you can travel with.

2. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have carried 5k with no questions at all...

3. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No legal limit to how much cash you can bring on a plane on a domestic flight. You may get asked why you have a bunch (It would need to be lot more than 5k) but if you do just answer honestly.

If you want to feel safer, send a wire to the cage, get a cashier's check to the cage, or get a marker.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

You only have to declare cash if you're flying international and its over 10k.

We have the right to carry as much cash as we want without declaring it on a domestic flight but apparently it doesn't preclude TSA from notifying law enforcement if they think its suspect. Its never happened to me or anyone I know, but you can read stories about it online. Just like the police can confiscate your money if they "think" its suspect and then leave the onus on you to prove it isn't. A fucked up violation of civil liberties.

You can read it here, the directive to do this from the TSA's COO is on the last page: https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/TSA.Switzer_Decl_attachments_1_2_and_3_0.pdf

5. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've carried $10k just fine. If TSA would've questioned me then I would've simply told them I'm going to Vegas and could've shown a law enforcement officer the withdrawal from the bank if they were inclined to ask.

But wiring ahead or if your bank has a branch in Vegas is always safer options.

6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you are carrying a briefcase full of cash you should be safe.
    With $100 bills you can carry a lot in a little space.

7. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always bring cash to Vegas over 10k. I think you would be fine if you brought a lot more.

As Kickin said, you need to declare 10k+ if it is international. I know some people who fly international (leaving the US) with more than 10k and don't declare it. They have never been caught, but I'm guessing you pay a fine or they take it if caught.

8. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If TSA asks, always answer with "Am I legally obligated to answer that question?" You'll get a variety of answers from them because they simply don't know their own rules.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, try and video record all dealings with the TSA. It could end up being very valuable.

9. 33hard6

33hard6 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never empty the cash out of my pocket when clearing security and I have had over 10k before, just don't use any money clips or paperclips to secure any of it and you shouldn't even have to take it out of your pocket, Ill be dammed if I have to put that cash on the conveyer belt

10. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I leave it in my front pocket. I never got through the stupid X-ray machines so I keep the cash in there until the pat down and then I hold it in my hand while the TSA feels me up.

11. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Can you elaborate? I took cash last time with nothing around it, and not much just a few hundred. I was told to take it out and that I could not have anything on me. I want to take about 500 this trip and have been trying to figure out how since I have been pickpocketed before. Can I put 5 100 dollar bills in my jeans pocket with a rubber band around them through airport security?

12. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're going to refuse the absurd xray machines and take the pat down or if you're going through a metal detector then yes you can leave it in your pocket. Only in the body scanners do they make you take everything out.

If I'm patted down they tell me to empty my pockets. I do and then they do their thing. A couple times they've asked me how much money I've had and I tell them "enough for my trip to Vegas" or something like that.

13. Gdicke13

Gdicke13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually take $15-20g w the "envelope system". Never once had a question or problem. I keep it tucked away in my carry on and it goes through, although I never take my eyes off the belt!

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an additional reply pertaining to storing it.
    I don't bother keeping it in my pocket.
    It is kept in my carry-on.
    I don't go through the x-ray or what-ever until my bag is in the x-ray machine and I always watch it.
    When it pops out i keep an eye on it too.
    Only out of my sight for a few seconds.
    When traveling with my wife she goes through first and I will wait until the bag is way in the machine before i go this way its covered on both ends.
    A bit over the top but so far no issues.

15. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ahhh the envelope system, I remember thee fondly.....

[​IMG]

16. 33hard6

33hard6 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $500? you can put that anywhere, I would just have that in my wallet or inside my carry on.

17. Rut Dog

Rut Dog Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't refuse xray machines, and I will carry up to 5K in my pocket. When I step up to the Xray I simply hold it in my hand and show the TSA officer.

They have never said anything, and I get the idea they would prefer not to handle a large amount of cash. Think about the hassle from their end if there is a dispute about missing cash. It is much easier for them If the cameras show they never touched it.

18. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I don't fly to vegas often, but the last time I did, I had 5k in each front pocket and 10k in a waistband money pouch. Never took out the cash during security line and was never asked to. I just assumed they either dont see the cash in the xray or they do and can clearly tell it is cash.

19. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Classic!! I remember that trip report well!!

OT: Thankfully I never had a problem with it being in my carryon, even during an extended screening with telling them my flight is to Vegas, they immediately say good luck and sent me on my way with just under 9K and most in 20'S due to horrible bank I use not having many 100's or 50's.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a line of credit but usually bring about 2k for the first night. If going through the scanner, I just hold it in my hand above my head. If I'm going through the metal detector, I just leave it in my pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.