1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker At what speed do you play?

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by VPDana, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    This question is prompted by Royal Flusher's TRs, wherein he posts many winning hand pics. I noticed that the speed control on his/Mrs. Flusher's machines are usually set on FAST. Personally, if I have a choice, I set my machine speed to SLOW. I like the anticipation. Therefore the question: At what speed do you play?

2. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on the game. I'm Vp player, and if single line dollars or up, I prefer slow speed.
    If lower denom multi-play? I crank it up.

I also Hit the button to end the game, instead of Wins slowly adding.
    Sure wish more lowrollers would do that.........First thing I think of when I hear slooooooow adding?
    Amateurs! lol

3. Scot

Scot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually play on turbo. I only have so many hours in Vegas each year, and I like to get in as many hands as I can. If I have a 4-to-a-royal draw, or something else potentially huge on multi line STP, I'll drop it down to slow and enjoy the show.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, CLV. Long time no see.

I like the machine to play fast. My own play is moderate unless I go into the zone or the coffee works too well.

5. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a famous, well-worn phrase when it comes to gambling, like video poker .... "Speed kills", as in speed causes mistakes.
    I am a long-time VP player, and I can't stand the slow-motion setting ... and I will move if I can't bump it up. However, there are also some machines where "fast" is like lightning, and that also drives me crazy. So ... I will usually play 2 or 3 hands to see how a machine plays, and eventually set it at "medium fast", and play about 400 to 450 hands per hour.

6. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For VP I set the speed to the second fastest, but I still play slow. There's no hurry when I play, and I hate making mistakes when playing too fast. Besides, if you slow play, you can get more comped drinks on that twenty you threw in to play quarter JOB with! :banana:

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm usually on slow unless I need to earn some amount of points in a short time window.

8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually play at medium and the Quad Queen plays as fast as the machine will go. On multi-play it's downright frightening, to me anyway. I must take and post a video of her playing full speed some day on the Super Times Pay multiplay.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons she gets more quads than I do. The other reason is, I make stupid mistakes, primarily not seeing pairs (of cards).

9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends..if I'm playing a "session", I'll set it to Medium (Slow-Medium-Fast machines) on single-line. On 10-play, I'll set it to Fast (too long to wait to see all 10 hands when I'm playing seriously)
    If I'm just killing time and messing around, I'll put it on Slow (watch the cards fall and drink).
    If it's on one of the newer machines, I set it one speed below FAST ("Turbo" being the fastest, then fast, THEN my setting)

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will assume we are talking VP.
    For me I turn off the Turbo, but my wife keeps it on.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slow only. If the speed function is disabled, I move.

12. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a slots note:

nothing bothers me more than people who hit spin and then hit spin immediately to stop the reels. Like everyone, I play slots hoping to win big, but I also enjoy the games as most of you do. What fun is it to just press buttons and have everything come to a quick STOP.

But on the other side of that, I also hate when people watch their winnings add up. I'm always in a rush to know exactly how much I won!

13. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As fast as it will go...I am impatient.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same with me... I'm there to relax and have fun, I'm not in a race and on occasion, when I speed things up, I make mistakes.

15. SandsFan

SandsFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I set mine as fast as it will go but play at my own speed. I am in the 400 to 450 hands per hour range but do slow down if we are talking or just relaxing.

The 3 P trip (Paris, Palms and ??)
    The 3 P Trip (Paris, Palms and ??)
  16. HuskerBB

HuskerBB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't play slots just VP - but set it as fast as it will go - and if I am on a machine that is too slow I move. Personally I hate waiting for the cards to turn over.

17. Italladdsup

Italladdsup Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play mostly video poker and I have never noticed that you can set the speed. Where are these setting located?

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God that drives me nuts too! If I'm next to someone who does this ill cashout and move to another machine. For those that do this, WHAT IS YOUR REASONING??

19. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this because I'm in no hurry at all. I'm not in some contest to play 600 hands per hour. Besides, I almost always lose, so the money goes further. It gives you time to look around and see what else is going on around you.

On the other side of the coin, I just giggle at the robots that play VP, staring at the screen for hours and never once looking up to see if that really is Elvis standing directly behind them!

20. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not every machine allows you to adjust the speed. But the ones that do usually have a "speed" button on the bottom of the screen near the "more games", "deal", "cash out" etc. buttons.

I like mine fairly fast but not turbo. I like the rush of excitement I get knowing I've just hit a big hand a split second before my brain can register exactly what that hand is (if that makes any sense :rolleyes2:).

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.