1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What happened to Emeril Lagasse?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You hardly hear about him anymore. He was one of the pioneers of Food Network. Giada and Guy Fieri among others wouldn't be who they are if it wasn't for him.

Is he o.k.?

2. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I remember correctly, he cashed in his empire to a degree, selling his image/rights/name to a buyer. I can't remember precisely the details, but it sounded lucrative. I do see him from time to time on good morning america doing a cooking spot. Usually summertime.

3. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was on Top Chef New Orleans as a judge last season but other than that, haven't heard much from him lately.

4. suecasey

suecasey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He still has 3 restaurants in Vegas. Delmonico at Venetian, Table 10 at Palazzo, and the one at MGM (I can't remember the name, lol).

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing more than no one lasts forever in front of the camera.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He just got old and semi-retired. BAM!

7. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't trust a restaurant where the chef's last name has the word "gassy" and all you keep hearing is "BAM! BAM!" all over the place. Just saying. :eek:

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His act got old for a regular program. They still wheel him out when they can. I think it's actually a plus he's not on the Food Network because know people are starting to remember his actual pedigree.

9. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would rather eat at on of his places in Vegas than a Guy or Giada place. I have had a great meal at Emeril's Fish House several years ago.

-Max

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that's a very good point. This guy had chops. Earned them. Got kinda easy to think of him simply as the caricature he became.

Do they still cook on Food Network or is it all unreal "reality" and competitions?

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bally's in AC is opening up a big new Fieri's restaurant. Guy and Giada are the hot hands right now.

12. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember a while back when he started to get real popular (BAM....) :kill: and they were interviewing all his past bosses. One of them, a lady (can't remember who she was or what restaurant she owns) actually said quite diplomatically that Emeril couldn't cook for beans.

But wouldn't deny the fact that he had charisma and screen presence. Maybe that's what it takes to make it on Food Network? (Guy Fieri?.......):poke:

13. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Neither Guy nor Giada impress me as serious chef's. They may lend their name to a restaurant but that doesn't make them serious chefs. I know that famous celebrity chefs don't do much for their namesakes in the way of actual cooking but they should at least influence the type of cuisine and cooking techniques used at that particular restaurant. Just my .02.

It appears Emeril basically just got "phased" out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/bam-emeril-lagasse-loses-tv-show-food-network-article-1.258478

14. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:

He was fun to watch, wasn't he?

I also don't care much for celebrity chefs who lend their names to restaurants but don't actually cook the food served there. I like to go to places where the chef is well respected in the culinary world and actually cooks and oversees things in the kitchen.

15. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy nor Giada are serious chefs and I don't think they claim to be. They are food personalities and good cooks.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy doesn't claim to be a serious chef. He's really just a neighborhood restauranteur who lucked into something bigger. We are supposed to see Giada as a serious chef, though, because she trained in France and because she has worked in some big time restaurants, but she's really just a private chef. It's hard to take her as seriously as Emeril or even Bobby Flay because she didn't have her own restaurant before now. This Vegas thing may help her pedigree but there are always going to be people who only see it as a branding deal. I think her TV appeal has had more to do with the way she dresses than her actually food.

As for Food Network, they've shipped their higher end cooking programs to that other channel they started. I don't mind competitions - BBQ Pitmasters sucks me in all the time - but I don't like the game show stuff they do. I loved it when they covered real competitions more documentary style but the stuff they do now turns me off. I've been over the Food Network for a good while.

17. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guys all over the place now..........
    But gotta give him props for his new place at Quad. Group of us ate there, and everyone Loved their dish.
    Service very good. Alittle noisey, but I would go again.
    And it helps to have Diamond card if the line is long. :eek:

18. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with this fully

I just watched the New Orleans Top Chef season with him and it really brought me back to liking him again a lot more

I never disliked him BAM!.....but he did get to be a bit of a BAM!.....caricature of himself after a while and they went to some pretty serious New Orleans restaurants and he was welcomed with open arms and I realize the contestants are not going to bad mouth a judge especially or most any well known chef, but they all seemed really happy to meet him and cook in some of his restaurants and he was a lot different person in general

even if somehow he can't cook he knows food and loves food and starting a restaurant from not much and building it into what he has sure ain't easy and all the more so if he could not cook or did not know food

and you could tell he was really making a personal connection with all the contestants and with Tom as well

I almost kind of miss the BAM! now haha.....don't know you missed it until it is gone :thumbsup:

19. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Giada is the only one of those I liked to watch and it had nothing to do with whether she was a serious chef or not.

20. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A guy I know met her at one of those cooking events and said she's even prettier in person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.