1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golfers: "I played ______ and I'll tell you what, I don't get it whatsoever."

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a course you always wanted to play, perhaps that was chatted up to high heaven, and you got there, played and thought, "WTF?"

2. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played the Congressional Blue Course and I was disappointed to find out that they got rid of the par 3 18th hole due to controversy around the 97 US open.

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, but with the Open at Pinehurst this year, I have played several of the other courses in the area. Most of them were very difficult.

Trivia: For $1 million dollars, what makes Talamore a unique course to play? (Or at least it did when I was there).

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Llama caddies. But do they still have them?

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cash please, no checks.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Llama caddies. I'll PM you my paypal address.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One near the top of my list is Torrey South.

In Vegas it's Bali Hai and WGC. I also don't get why a very standard-issue Ted Robinson-course-shrouded-in-houses course gets folks so excited. And that would be Rhodes Ranch.

8. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a bit of a caveat I'd say PGA West Stadium. Not that it was bad but its reputation 15 years or so ago was so immense I played the white tees (I was a 9.3 then) and scored real well. Low 80's if memory serves. Next time out a year later I played the blues. Different story. And the blacks were never a consideration obviously.
    I think Ko'olau is overated though. Difficult yes. Pretty setting, most certainly. But just an ok routing. Kind of what Ken thinks of the Prince. Similar Hawaii windward tracks in that regard.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second place don't pay.

10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The following rules are applicable to all contests, giveaways and promotions sponsored by or held in conjunction with Breeze147:

1) Employees of Breeze147 and his immediate families are not eligible to participate. “Immediate Family" shall include spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren and co-habitating "significant other". Residents of the same household are also considered “Immediate Family“, whether or not related by blood or marriage.

2) Members of Golf Writers Association of America are not eligible to participate.

3) In contests involving participating merchants, owners, managers and employees of such merchants and their immediate families are not eligible to participate.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think some courses rise/fall simply because of how the tees were chosen and then which are set. Take Kapalua Plantation. Most Joes playing what would be considered blues out there, even accounting for the elevation/trades help, are going to get killed. But a diet of white is boring, and it takes out a lot of the intent of the course. After my first play I just starting mixing and matching tees so the design integrity wasn't lost, and it works. You can't post but places that don't have composite set ups, I'll make my own quite often.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And those who lettered in golf in high school are not eligible to participate. (Or was that college for you?)

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just high school. My tryout for the college team still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I doubt I would have made the college team but the way they screwed me over by moving up the tryout date and then only notifying the people they knew and wanted on the team of the new date was just downright dishonest.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cue Paul Simon ...

Still angry after all these years, oh, still angry, after all, these years

lol

15. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call me a dullard or whatever,but I really dont
    have any bucket list golf courses . I'm happy just playing with my good friends wherever.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup: Just got back from the range. Went over with my neighbor, beat some balls, quips and needles, cold beer ... good stuff.

17. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats really what its all about,Was a cloudy ,windy drizzly day here at the Jersey Shore,got out with a good buddy ,very few people on the course . Nobody in front ,had a great day ,hit the 19th hole with Mrs.JG and some other friends ,had a ton of laughs ,lots to drink. Does life get any better? Getting up tomorrow,gonna do some surf fishing with my long time fishing buddy,I dont need much else to keep me happy.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many iterations out there, as many as there are golfers times every time we each get a chance to put club in hand. I enjoy the ratty and beloved track over on the base. I enjoy experiencing the Pebbles of the golf world. Sneaking out at the club -- yes, I guess we still do that, no matter the age -- for that four-hole loop as the sun crashes. Playing mini-golf with Terri in a Kauai-north-shore rain. Burning hundreds and hundreds of calls and emails setting up the yearly guys' trip. Leaving those last three balls in the bucket on the range 'cause you just piped five straight and while there is no such thing as superstition in gambling there certainly is in golf.

There's no one single or only or "right" way to do it.

19. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One "ehh" course that stands out for me would have to be the Blue Monster at Doral. Really not that memorable or the best experience especially relative to the price. I don't know that Trump will make it any better with the things I hear about Trump National LA.

Otherwise of the "big time" courses I have played they have pretty much lived up to the billing. My up-to-date Top 5 that I have played would be.
    1. Arcadia Bluffs
    2. Pinehurst #2
    3. Olympic Club (Lake Course)
    4. Murfield Village
    5. Whistling Straits
    The 3 you can get on are well worth the price and the 2 you can't, well if you can pull some strings they are worth the work to pull those strings.

20. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one course that I thought did not live up to its billing was TPC Scottsdale - Stadium Course.

My Longest Trip Ever
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.