1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Auto Registration 5.5 hrs expired - I Get A ticket

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Wow.........that's unlucky.
    Cop : "I could pull the plates off your car + inpound it....but I'm not."
    Me : "Thank you, Officer".....................( walks away )........"you motherf^#**+!!!! " :evillaugh
    I go in streaks w/ tickets....always have.
    Last 10 years without a ticket.....and this half year ?....... I rack up my third !!!!!::grrr:

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stories abound out here as elsewhere as to the nightmare of dealing with the DMV. But the outfit does make it mindlessly easy to renew plates. We have two months until Terri's come up and last week we received the mailed notice and the webistration makes it a 20-second Enterprise.

Anyway, that was totally chickenshit on the part of the cop, both writing you up and having that 'tude.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Joe, but no sympathy here. The notice comes plenty early and around here you can even go to the grocery stores and renew. Yes, there is a small fee. We also have on-line renewal for that, also with a fee. So, I slap the 45 cent stamp on and mail it.

4. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll sympathize with you. It's WAY easy to forget things. I hate hollier-than-thou's that try and not give you any slack for being just barely over a deadline. Now I have no sympathy for someone knowingly driving around in a car with expired tags, inspection or insurance. That's just not right. But sometimes its just slips your mind and it isn't like your car instantly becomes a danger because your tags expired a few hours ago. I like how they do it around here. In all my past experiences (and they were all in High School and College mind you, not for quite some time) if you get a ticket for expired tags or inspection, you just get it done, take proof to court, and pay the court fees (which were in the $25 range back then, probably more now). When I was younger I actually got saved from a speeding ticket a couple of times because they stopped me for speeding but only wrote the ticket for the tags or insurance.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Honolulu there are some places where rookie cops work. One is in Waikiki. they will stop you for an expired safety check (your car has a sticker for safety checks so they know when it expires), illegal turns, etc.

Another place is near ala moana shopping center. There are many bars there, the cops will pull you over for anything, busted tail light, not using your turn signal, etc. All just a ruse, while they may give you a ticket, they are just using it as an excuse to check you out to bust you for DUI. One cop was given an award for having the most DUI busts, all he did was drive around right when the bars closed and stopped drivers and checked for DUI. What a scam!

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When does the line cross from ensuring public safety to becoming a police state, in other words?

I don't have any sympathy for folks exceeding the lawful limit since alcohol and a vehicle don't remotely mix, and the lives of others are at stake. Now I don't give a rat's ass what someone chooses to do to himself or herself, but when their bad decisions impact others …

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AlaMoana - I got a ticket near there. :) We had an officer pull us over in CdL, Idaho once during one of those big car shows. He looked really disappointed to see us old people in the car instead of some thugs causing trouble. He gave us so much grief for pulling into the wrong lane when turning left onto a one way street. He seemed ready to send us to Gitmo for the moving violation.

Yeah, I can sympathize. Life is busy and I can't be on top of everything, all the time. For instance, I forgot to pay our electric bill on Friday. Saturday I went to pay it, but the system won't let me schedule a payment for the weekend. That's okay, because the payment is due today. So I scheduled it for today and thought I was done. Got a notice in email that my payment was scheduled for tomorrow. WHA!??

I called them and said, "But I scheduled it for today." They said, you can't schedule a payment for the due date. WHAT!?!? Yeah, I'm getting a late fee. Bastards.

8. gmille58

gmille58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot to renew plates once, and cop pulled me over on the way into work the day I was going to renew them. Luckily I had the renewal notice inside the checkbook and showed the cop. As I am married and the checkbook is in my wife's purse 99.9% of the time, I got off with a warning, or had to show the ticket when I renewed, cant exactly remember. Sucks that you got a cop with attitude.

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get how he had an attitude- he COULD have towed your car, but he didn't. So, whats the issue? I don't get when ppl blame cops for stuff they do- I got a ticket for 75 in a 55. Yeah? Hows that the cops fault?

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My renewals come about 3 months early ,I open them and enter them in my calendar so I dont forget.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We get ours a little over a month ahead of time... I sit down that evening, go on their website and enter my numbers... done inside of 5 minutes, if that. Stickers come 3-4 days later... put 'em on the damn vehicle. I'm not holier than thou, just good at handling my business. Now I miss birthdays, picking up cat litter and lots of other stuff, but put a priority on bills, taxes, fees, etc... it's not hard.

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

If I don't get the mail before my wife ---
    My wife will pack the mail up in a plastic bag + throw it
    in the basement.
    Doesn't matter what's in that mail.
    I found a couple hundred dollars in my birthday card --
    in a plastic bag....in the cellar.
    Never saw the DMV notice........I guess I should check the basement ?
    I registered on-line, yesterday = $102

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got an out loud chuckle over the last part of your post. Thanks.

As to the original post... well, stuff happens. To most of us.

14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Exactly. Granted the OP should have renewed his registration. But the power-trip, wastefulness, and general hubris of cops pisses me off.

My mother is in her 60s and drives the same five miles back and forth to work every day, she's a nervous driver who never strays from that route and hardly drives anywhere else. A few weeks ago during a bad rainstorm she leaves work at night and gets pulled over because one of her headlights was out (by a cop who already had someone else pulled over no less!). No warning and he didn't even let my mother talk, just wrote up an $84 ticket right away. She is this incredibly soft-spoken woman and he wouldn't even let her say a thing. She had no idea the light was out, it must have gone out that day or right before and what could she have done if she discovered it that night anyway? Not come home? I was so angry when she told me about it because its the kind of bullshit that makes good people hate cops. I even have the PBA sticker on her car because like an idiot I give them money every year when they call and beg, but eff them.

They don't protect anyone or anything. They write tickets, take reports after the fact, and make cheap ineffective arrests.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really an apt context for my comment.

Bad rainstorm and nighttime? I'd have written her up, as well. If the guy was a dick, that's another matter but it's not remotely germane to the issue of the potential threat of a one-eye with an elderly driver (a nervous elderly driver, by your admission, with what sounds like limited experience, at least recently) at night in a "bad" rainstorm.

If your PD/sheriff's department isn't providing public safety, protection and prevention then perhaps you should move or run for council/board of supervisors and set the matter straight.

Plenty of bad eggs in uniform. As there are bad eggs in every profession.

16. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Well then you'd be making a dick move too. How would you have improved or protected public safety by doing that? What you should do is issue a warning, that goes into their system and if you get pulled over again they'll see that you had ample warning. But what are you supposed to do even if you noticed your light was out when you walk out of work at 10pm at night in the middle of the rain? And if you hadn't noticed? Its flawed because you never had any real options.

Run for office to effect change? No, I pay a shit ton in taxes to justify my criticism in how public officers bide their time. Around here its not unusual for a cop to make six-figures per year, we could hire meter maids for a fraction of that to do the same job the cops are doing without guns clipped to their waists under the presumption that they are doing anything to protect the public.

17. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn’t the law/traffic code flawed, then?

If not, when should cops be allowed to give leeway? To whom? Just nervous, soft-spoken drivers in rainstorms?

I'm not arguing that she should have received a ticket. Just that the blame should be placed elsewhere.

18. Kickin

Kickin Flea

They do have a process by which they can split the difference and that's by giving a warning. I've received warnings for minor things like that in the past and it is an "official" printout entered into their system. If someone receives a warning, then gets pulled over again later on for the same offense by all means give them a ticket. But this is almost akin to a cop driving behind you and noticing your rear light suddenly burns out and then writing you a ticket. It puts people in a no-win situation regardless of how responsible you are. The town where she got the ticket is notorious for things like this too.

I was pulled over at the airport some weeks back because the registration sticker on my windshield was peeling off, it was a very eagle eyed cop no doubt who noticed that while I was driving past him. I told him I recently had the windshield replaced and I guess they didn't get the sticker back on it perfectly. I even had the work receipt in my car. He said no worries, just get it fixed because its a ticketable offense and then he let me leave. I thanked him and felt good about him, because he could have easily just not cared and given me a ticket but clearly he has some leeway and it helps generate goodwill compared to the hostile approach that makes people like mom get scared at simply the sight of a cop.

19. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EVERYONE has driven over the legal limit....in speed and in alcohol consumption (if they drink alcohol moderately).

Everyone's ability with the same exact blood alcohol content is different. The law requires a standard thus we have the limit.

Hell, I had one of my cop friend's give me the field sobriety test as a goof and I passed it with flying colors. However, I'd have failed a breathalyzer.

I don't have sympathy for a failed reg when the thing is mailed well in advance and can be done online.

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weird that didn't allow phone pay that day.

I make everything auto-pay as much as possible and just monitor what goes out. For instance, my Pepco bill was on autopay but the payment was taken out twice over 2 days.

I have all credit cards scheduled to pay over the minimum and just pay extra when I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.