1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gordon Ramsay Steak at Paris

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by gradytripp, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know GR Steak has been discussed here, and I've done my best to look at those old threads. My wife and I will be in LV next month. I have $250 in TR reward credits I'd like to use. One option I'm considering is Gordon Ramsay Steak. So...

1) any recent experiences there? It gets excellent reviews, of course. Is the loud music (see below) really that loud?

2) What to order? I've never had beef wellington, and it is the signature dish there so I'm leaning that way.

3) My main concern is the loudness that is reported in the place. I do like to be able to talk with my dining companion, and some reports I read say the volume of the music is almost at "nightclub level." I also read that it is quieter on the 2nd floor, where they apparently have booths. If I have a reservation with Open Table, is an upstairs booth likely to be available? This would probably be on Tuesday or Wednesday night in late June. I'm guessing if I reserved for shortly after it opened, there'd be more availability. I don't usually have dinner at 5:30, but it would leave the rest of the night open for "gaming."

I welcome any insights!

2. VegasLambie

VegasLambie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been 3 times over the last couple of years most recently in January 2014. That time i didn't not have a steak. I have had the Wellington and the rib cap. I enjoyed the rib cap much much more but I'm not really a filet person. I loved the potato puree and roasted potatoes as well as the tempura green beans. SO GOOD.
    I have sat in 3 distinct places. once upstairs in the booths. Very private and quiet - great if you want to talk. Once near the open kitchen which I loved and didn't find too loud. Once at a 2 top near a walkway at the front which I found to be the loudest. I didn't find the place overall that loud - only energetic but then I dine regularly in loud LA restaurants. Also we tend to dine late, after 9 pm, when in Vegas. I did find the 2 top that was near the front walkway to be too close for my liking to the next table over - this was more of a problem than the noise.

I would council you to call and talk to a hostess/reservationist a week or so before your trip or to actually call and make a reservation - this way you can attached your TR number too. Last time they tried to seat me in a table I knew I wouldn't like and seemed unphased that I wanted to wait for something more suitable. So that is always an option too.
    Overall I'm 3/3 in dining experiences and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

3. BPGJan2013

BPGJan2013 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been once. Back in Jan/Feb. I do not recall the noise being an issue at all. It was a vibrant, busy, restaurant, but we sat upstairs, had conversations with our waitress, a manager who came over to chat for a while, etc. and I do not remember ever having to talk over any loudness, save the usual hustle and bustle.

4. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We visited in July 2013 and had a great experience. We were seated in the second row of tables facing the open kitchen and really loved it. We did not find it loud, per se, more 'energetic'. There is a great energy going through the place, and not once did we have a hard time holding a conversation. We both had the filet (although I too was leaning towards the wellington) and were glad we did. In the end I didn't want to risk not enjoying my meal for the sake of ordering his specialty. The service was impeccable and it was a meal we will not soon forget. Enjoy!

5. teroot10

teroot10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert it is phenomenal. We had this at the bar one night with drinks. My friend ate there and she loved it.

6. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there in March... I wont lie I was at the top of GR and it was loud... I love loud music, but I couldnt even talk to the person across the table from me, and I find that to be a bit annoying.

I took my mom for our annual trip and for her birthday and I will tell ya.... she loved the Lobster Wellington, only downfall is it takes 45 minutes.

I got the Kobe filet and of course that was banging !!!

7. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Save room for the pudding.

Our experience wasn't great. The food was excellent except that it wasn't hot enough. Had to send it back.

We (host) had requested upstairs. Reservation was a Friday evening. The place was packed. Our table was on the main level along a wall and facing the kitchen. It was noisy, though tolerable.

I'd go back for the pudding!

8. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been three times, and all three times I've left quite disappointed. I agree with everyone that it is noisy. The first time, I did the "Hells Kitchen" tasting menu. It was okay...but not great. The second time had steak and sides. The only memorable part of the meal was the Sticky Toffee Pudding, which we took to go because the meal took so long and it was so loud. The last trip we had to go here to use up a gift card and it was equally disappointing. Ate at the bar, had fish and chips, some sliders and a couple meh drinks. I left hungry and vowed to never go back again. My biggest regret was not hopping over to the Paris pizza to-go window and grabbing a slice to take back to the room so I wouldn't have been so hungry. With all the great places in Vegas, I have a hard time recommending it to anyone....especially with the prices!!

9. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been twice with the wife who is a huge Hell's Kitchen fan. The first trip we were seated downstairs and I don't remember it being loud but you sit right next to the table next to it. It is almost like you are eating together which wasn't bad because one couple also was huge fan's of the show. The second visit last September we were seated upstairs by the rail which my wife enjoyed but no problem with the noise. I was disappointed with the rib-eye both times and the last time my wife agreed for the money we would try something else. Also agree the Sticky Toffee Pudding is out of this world.

Mark

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's by far the best of his 3 LV restaurants. I've never had an issue with the noise. Sure it's busy but I liked the ambiance. If you want quiet there are plenty of other restaurants for that. The beef wellington is fantastic as is the regular filet. And yes the sticky toffee pudding is soooooooooo good.

11. Nebraska

Nebraska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved it. Beef Welligton, Cabernet, and Sticky Toffee Pudding.

It's loud but I thought that was cool, gave it a brisk, big city vibe.

12. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been there twice and enjoyed both of the experiences. We were seated downstairs on the first visit and upstairs against the rail on our last visit and while the music wasn't too loud for us, if one is looking for a quiet, romantic dining experience I wouldn't suggest this place. We both had the wellington the first time and it was excellent. The next time I got the ribeye and my Dad got the rib cap and they were both great. As has been mentioned, get the sticky toffee pudding. I don't care how full you are, just get it.

13. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went about 6 months ago.. I don't recall it being too loud, that would have definitely bothered my parents. It's a busy place, always completely full. It's not the stuffy vibe a lot of steakhouse have, it is more modern, and there is a lot of tables. But I don't recall the music being unbearable.

The wellington is the best thing I've ever eaten!!

My only advice about this place is, do it right. It's REALLY expensive. If you want a budget meal, don't bother... go all out and enjoy it. It's delicious!

Don't forget to reserve before you go, it's pretty difficult to get in.

14. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It seems pretty typical that about 80% report a really good experience. We're not looking for a romantic, quiet dinner; neither do I want to have to scream into my wife's ear. I'm thinking we'll give it a go! I'm keeping an eye on Open Table and it looks like there's good availability for our dates--I'll probably reserve soon.

And we will definitely not go "budget," either. We're not really huge drinkers (at least at dinner) so it doesn't look all that expensive compared to other places. We'll likely get the wellington for two and a couple of glasses of wine and the pudding. It looks like I'll still have some reward credits left for $2 margaritas at Bally's...

15. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there back in April, and loved it. Got the wellington, and the pudding. I have to agree with a lady that was sitting next to me. I can die happy now. Best meal I've ever had. As for noise, it wasn't loud. I was back in the corner near the wine. I could look into the kitchen, and watch the entire first floor. Next time I go to Vegas, I'm hoping to try the filet. And, of course another round of the pudding.

16. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a fan either. The girls at the front are SO RUDE and piss me off from the beginning. Left once after having a reservation but kept getting pushed back. Tried it again, got seated in the "old part" which seems to be a different restaurant entirely, and a very boring atmosphere. Our waitress was good, which saved the experience, and knowing we would be paying a lot, I did not let myself become a total reactionary bitch.:) I am also not a fan of the sticky pudding.

17. luckydude

luckydude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just eat there about 2 weeks ago and were very disappointed. I had the beef wellington and thought it was just okay. Actually the beef inside was very good I just wasn't crazy about the pastry because it was very salty so I ended up removing most of it and just ate the beef. Our waiter said repeatedly that the best steak on their menu is the rib cap so my wife ordered it. She said the flavor wasn't nearly as good as steaks at other high end steak houses and it was very chewy and salty as well. As a matter of fact even the horseradish potatoes would have been good but once again they were heavy handed with the salt shaker. The waiter offered us two types of water - still or sparkling. I hate to pay for water so I said still. The meals being so salty made us thirsty and we drank two bottles of the still water. When I got the bill there were two charges of $9.00 for the each bottle water. So the guy that doesn't like paying extra for water in a restaurant paid $18.00 for water plus tax and tip on the $18.00. We had a good laugh about it and still joke about it today. As almost everyone has said the sticky pudding was very good. We were seated downstairs by the wall close to the bottom of the steps to the upper level. The couple to our left and right were seated so close we ended up talking to each other almost the whole time. We were laughing because it was hard to hear over the music. We even asked the waiter why they play the music so loud and he says he doesn't know but he hears that a lot. I used TR Credits to pay the bill and you can't use them to pay the tip. I gave the waiter my TR credit card and told him I wanted to pay my bill with TR credits he reacted put out because I wanted to charge the tip on my card. He had to give me a separate bill for $.01 and I put the tip on that bill. No biggy as far as I was concerned but it took him a long time to return with the bill and his demeanor wasn't one of a happy man. So be aware of this when you use your TR credits at a CET restaurant. With all the good experiences we have had at other Vegas steak houses we will definitely not be returning to this one.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  18. Gdicke13

Gdicke13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some ordering advice...for an app get the sticky toffee pudding...in place of a salad the STP, for entree the STP and if you have room left for dessert try the sticky toffee pudding w brown butter ice cream. Incredible! Been 4 times since it opened and each time our food and overall experience was phenomenal. To me Gr steak and CUT are the best 2 steakhouses on the strip.

19. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for ALL of this!!!

20. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only eaten at GR Steak once, but had an all around great experience.

We arrived very late, because of the UFC, and they didn't once make us feel rushed, or indicate that they were waiting for us to finish.

Even though we were the last table, and hadn't arrived until 1030pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.