1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Why not play the DON'T in Craps?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Erich17, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erich17

Erich17 It is a real Obsession

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been playing the Don't Pass and Don't Come lately and have been getting bad looks. Before I was getting killed in Craps every time I played so I tried the other side and started winning. I know that you have to make it past the come out roll and that is when you are against the house but then you are with house until the Don't number is rolled. The reason I like it this way is because once you get a Don't Pass and 1 or 2 Don't comes on the board it takes the shooter throwing all your numbers individually to lose it all and as soon as he throws the 7 you win it all. I feel like you lay a lot less money on the table and do not have the chance of only 1 seven to take it all. I also understand that you have to lay the odds but once again when you get past the come out you are with the house and the house wins more than we do! Just my thoughts. I would love to hear opinions because I know some people hate when they see money on the DON'T.

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two things. First, although you were doing better when you started playing the Don't, and although it seems like it's a much better deal for you, the two bets are actually statistically very close -- not counting the odds, the house edge on the Pass is 1.41%, while the edge on the Don't Pass is 1.36% (the difference is even closer if you add odds). So Don't Pass is a slightly better bet, but only very slightly. Which then leads to the second factor (and explains why a lot of people are willing to give up that 0.05% to play the Pass), which is that Pass tends to be a much better social experience. When you're playing the Pass line, you're playing with the majority, and I personally just find it much more fun. There's also a third factor which is that the Don't Pass can be a little more complicated, and people aren't willing to try things that are unfamiliar.

For me, the fact that the Pass line is much more fun, and I'm only giving up a negligible edge, makes not want to play the Don't.

3. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree wholeheartedly with 44inarow. Social experience combined with a negligible difference in the house edge is what sold the game to me. If I had learned to play craps by playing the don't, I don't think I would have enjoyed it and therefore wouldn't have tried to play it again.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't play much craps. It's funny to see how angry some people get when others play the dark side.

5. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW never thought about it like that ,your right.

6. Erich17

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I play with friends and we stay consistent with what each other does so it is fun. When one of us shoots we all play the come like normal and enjoy. Honestly just wondering why people get so pissed it's not their money

7. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I am done playing the pass for the most part and am sticking with the don't. I am introverted and don't need social interaction so I don't really care what others think of me. In the end, we are all betting against the house anyway.

8. iambumbo

iambumbo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I like best about playing dark side is exactly what the original poster pointed out-- it's a lot more fun to win all your bets when the 7 inevitably comes out rather than losing them all. If you lay odds, yes, you are putting more money out there than the right side betters but it's also a lot harder to lose them all. I don't need the social approval of betting right side. I'm happy to just collect my winning bets and enjoy another beverage with my friends.

9. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People don't care what you do with your money. They get upset because you are betting against the table - all the people with money on the pass line are all rooting for themselves and eachother to win, and putting money on the don't pass is rooting for them to all lose.

10. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In betting the dark side you probably do not want a lot of DONT PASS, right?

Because if you cover the table with DONT PASS, you ONLY win with a 7....every other number you start loosing money?

So what is the optimal amount of DONT PASS bets?

11. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched to the dark side a couple years ago and play it exclusively. I get all of the dirty looks and people muttering under their breath. Honestly, that's what makes it fun for me. People that get mad about other people's bets are truly ignorant people.

Regardless of what I bet, it doesn't change their odds or their outcome. I can't make them rich or poor based on where I put my chips. For whatever reason, they want to make an inferior bet (pass line) and then trash me for making a better financial bet than them. It's truly perplexing. I even have stick men get into it with me sometimes! I'm a really quiet person and I don't even celebrate my wins. I just pick up my wins and move on. Yet they still feel the need to let me know how I've allegedly wronged them.

I've always wondered what would happen if these same superstitious people played roulette. Would we only be allowed to bet on red? Would black be banned since it is the same as betting against red??

12. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if people just search they can find this discussion every couple of months. My take on this is like 44inarow the game is a negative expectation game whichever way you go. The don't players have not found a pot of gold(if they had the house would not offer the bet).
    I don't dislike darksiders, I hope they win. But I do not play on a table with one.

13. Erich17

Trips to Las Vegas:

It is almost the same as the Pass line. You bet the table minimum and then follow with your odds. Everything is reverse of the normal pass line bet. So if a 4 or 10 is thrown you are at 1/2 meaning if you place $100 odds you will get back $50 and so on for all the numbers.

The reason I enjoy it is because if I get through 3 come out rolls and have a 4, 6, 9 working on the dont and the shooters throws one of my numbers it only takes that number down instead of the 7 taking down all of my bets.

I also agree with the social aspect of it all and that is why I am there with my friends we bet the pass line when each other throws. I have never gotten made when I am throwing someone is better the dark side. To me it is like on a BJ table someone taking your bust card and losing right before you hit and you win....It feels great when you have a table win but I would rather win money and the other people lose than all of use lose like it is in craps. That is a harsh way to put it but I hope you get what I mean. I am a social gambler just like the rest of you and with my friends we have had a great time playing the Don't.

14. Erich17

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is a great way to look at it. If I have a 4 9 and 8 established I hope the roller throws 10 or 20 of the other numbers and makes all those people playing the place bets a fortune. The way I look at it there are a lot more 7's thrown when I play then guys getting on 15-30 minute heaters.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately some people take it personally, like you feel that the guy is a "loser" and so you are betting against him. While this isn't the case some people feel that way about dark side players.

As others mentioned, craps is a more social game, a lot of people like playing with the shooter and have mixed feelings (are uncomfortable, miffed, etc). when someone plays the dark side. People love to play on a hot table with the shooter hitting all the numbers but we all know that this is a game of chance, some people feel more comfortable playing the dark side.

As long as you are respectful of others around you (don't go yelling THROW A SEVEN after the shooter throws the dice after the point is established) you shouldn't have a problem playing the dark side. Yeah, some dark side players probably feel like they have the plague when they see the reaction from the others playing but it's your money, you can play whatever way that you want.

16. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do or Don't

My preference is to play the Do (Pass line), but if all the "hot" tables are full, then I'll look for an open table and invariably, the open tables will have Don't players....I'll go with the flow and also play the Don't for the minimum limits....that's the beauty of the game ....you can bet with or against the house....:peace:

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My craps play has decreased dramatically in the last ten years, but back in the day, I played both ways. Even when winning on the Don't, it was still more fun to play the right way. I am a social person, so the camaraderie on a hot table is so much more fun. The difference is house edge is negligible.

18. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter which side you are betting you are not betting with the house:nono:

19. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play a lot of craps and almost always pass line and place numbers.
    I have played at tables next to Don't players many times and have had pleasant conversations and enjoyed the game.
    Usually one of us doesn't last too long depending on the table.

The only thing that bothers me is when the Don't players are obnoxious and yell for 7 on every toss.

20. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, I get your point, so to speak....but, I can't recall a time when a player paid me when I won a Don't bet...:peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.