1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your go-to meal for guests … ???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The gang is coming over to eat at your place. What is your A-1 never-fail menu? Make it two menus.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Standing rib roast, double baked potatoes and roasted or grilled asparagus. Of course who can afford beef anymore? I'll just feed them brats!:evillaugh

3. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enchiladas! Chili con Queso, chips and salsa, guacamole and delicious drinks - Frozen Margaritas!

4. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bacon and asparagus wrapped pork tenderloin:

[​IMG]

Guisada de res rojo:

[​IMG]

I'm not bad at grilling up a steak as well:

[​IMG]

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't have a go-to meal. Always playing & experimenting. My family knows it'll always be something different at my house:thumbsup:

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Our house would do well at Joe's... that's EXACTLY what our "special" dinners consist of...

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We certainly trend this direction as we love to experiment. Plus what's available in spring might not be around in the fall, etc. But everyone has some type of patterned behavior; the family doesn't let me run too far afield during "traditional" holidays, which of course I just call a rut. lol Now for the annual shrimp boil I will admit to following a script. So I'm guilty there.

Where I do trend is for certain flavors or techniques, whatever the inputs, so there's a good amount of southwestern and Latin, and bistro fare. Unless we're doing Italian. Or island.

Sounds like some good eats so far!!

8. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never made a rib roast. :(

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spaghetti with meat sauce along with a nice salad is usually a hit. Or red beans and rice. We know a lot of folks who don't get what we consider traditional comfort food at home and I can get a lot of mileage with little effort. But I hate cooking dishes with a lot of steps so it would take a lot to get me to do a big fancy dinner. I'll cater first!

10. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a cook so it's whatever Costco has in their prepared meals area. They have great stuffed peppers and Mac and cheese by the way.

11. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're missing out! It is one of my favorite meals as long as it isn't overcooked.

I just got a smoker back in January and am still in the process of trying things I haven't yet smoked so if it were soon you can bet it'd be something that would be smoked.

12. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brisket with twice baked potatoes.

13. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will not find a home cooked meal here... They can order whatever they like at their favorite restaurant.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Give this a try:
    I slice the meat away perpendicular to the bone, almost to the end, but not quite. I then tie the meat back to the bone. This just makes it easier to carve after cooking, but is not necessary.

The night before, or even the day of, oil the entire roast with olive oil and then completely cover with the following seasonings which you have mixed together:

1 teaspoon salt
    4 gloves of garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons of paprika
    ½ tablespoon of thyme
    1 teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    Cover the entire roast, patting the mixture over all the meat!!!

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Take roast out of fridge two hours before cooking and let sit. Very Important.

Move oven rack to lowest level.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and then cook roast for 5 minutes per pound.

Reduce heat to 250 and cook for an additional 21 minutes per pound. Don’t open the oven door.

This will give you a perfect rare, to medium rare roast, depending on your oven. Timing is very important; it doesn’t take much to overcook a rib roast.

Take out and let stand covered for 30 minutes before carving. This is also very important. Don’t carve too early.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably should participate in my own thread.

As I said above, even in an ever-changing world of seeming culinary chaos, some things are evergreen. And some of ours are:

Shrimp and grits
    Chile verde
    Braised short ribs
    Linguine with clams
    Island-style St. Louis-cut ribs
    Osso bucco
    Bolognese (pork, veal, beef) and homemade gnocchi
    Planked mustard salmon
    Sides: Blue cheese bread pudding, non-box rice w/vermicelli, a wicked-good mac-n
    And another vote for queso fundido as a starter

17. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chile verde is good. I've done that as well, very similar to the guisa de res rojo above. Did you use pork or beef? I really like a good bowl of shrimp and grits, I should try that. I'm so afraid of overcooking seafood that I don't normally try preparing it. I've had Osso bucco once before, but it was at an Italian restaurant in India so they used mutton shanks instead of veal. Interesting dish, this one came on top of polenta.

It's hard as a single guy to branch out beyond the meat and veggies I prepare for work lunches, but I love to try making new stuff. Thanks for the ideas, but probably won't do a rib roast as much as I'd like to...I would probably end up eating the whole thing. :licklips:

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always been of the cultural-geographic persuasion that verde is pork and colorado is beef and both are chile, though adovada can be done beef or pork but that's another critter altogether, so to say, and chili has no beans though I love a pot of our local pinquitos.

Not a lot of mutton here but we're of the persuasion that all shanks have potential, and whether risotto or grits/polenta, bring it on and we're happy. As for the shrimp, shrimp is so easy to prepare simply because it does cook up so quickly, so there is no guesswork. Go pull up the winning (non-Flay) recipe from Flay's "Throwdown" and give it a whirl. EZ beyond belief.

I was a single guy well into my 30s, so had lotsa years to figure out that cooking is fun. My repertoire is kagillions of times better now, and I'm lucky enough to have someone in my life who is equally as nuts about cooking, but bachelor and kitchen know-how are not mutually exclusive terms. Keep experimenting and enjoying!

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, what is my patterned behavior? Lots of wine!

For most meals, the main protein will be roasted. Possibly slow cooker (eg venison or wild pig - so lean it's easiest to slow cook plus leaves the oven open for other items) I rarely grill when we have company over because my grill is inconveniently located to the rest of my food prep area. Same with using the smoker, unless I decide to smoke something in advance (eg I have smoked salmon in advance of a Christmas dinner in the past). I rarely cook potatoes but often will cook "odd" (according to my in-laws) grains as side dishes. I always have more than one vegetable side, and usually have enough non-meat sides that a vegetarian would be satisfied (and maybe even happy ;-) eating at my house.

I keep a binder of holiday meals I prepare to avoid having the same dishes too close to each other, year after year. I am that serious about avoiding duplication :thumbsup:

20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.