1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Taking personal items or buying them there...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by thekillers, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekillers

thekillers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My upcoming trip is long enough where I'll need to shave a few times during the trip and I hate trying to figure out if my shaving cream is under the TSA regulated size. So I usually just buy my stuff when I arrive. But being that this is Vegas, how much more expensive is it going to be there? I was thinking of hitting up the Walgreens right under the Palazzo.
    Anyone have any experience with that Walgreens and whether it's the same price or more expensive than what most of us have locally? I'm willing to bet it's more expensive.

2. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You bet right.

When I factor what I spend gambling, I don't stress about it.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    those small travel size shaving cans are allowed, I bring my items, except shampoo with me. All you need to do is put it in a 1 qt baggie and set it on top of your items as they're x-rayed, not a big deal at all.

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience is that the pricing at the downtown Walgreen's is about what I'd find here. I take a small "travel size" shaving cream that you can get for $1 and doesn't take up hardly any room. In fact, I believe they (and Target and CVS) have a separate travel size section. I might stop in for a snack to take back to the room, but who needs to go shopping for personal supplies in Vegas!

5. thekillers

thekillers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, all good points. I still have over 2 weeks before I go, local Walgreens here I come!

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. I do this too. Lots of Drug stores have a travel section with TSA approved toiletries. As long as you do the above when going through security scanning you will have no problem at all.

7. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a little outside your question ,but it's worth throwing it out here.

I got a straight razor shave from the spa at the Mirage and it was pretty amazing. I have a thick beard and it's hard for me to go more than a week without it driving me crazy. I was at day eight with three to go and I couldn't stand it anymore (and I had no shaving gear) I booked the appointment and had a great hour being groomed.

It was $100 after tip (I went for the "fancy" shave) so it's gonna cost a lot more than bringing your own, but the shave lasted for three days before I needed to shave again and it was a nice experience all around.

8. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could be mistaken, but since the OP was asking about the price of shaving cream at Walgreen's, I doubt he'd be anxious to spend $100 for a shave! My parents were cremated and their ashes scattered in the ocean, so they can't turn over in their graves; but if I ever spent $100 on a shave, they'd definitely come back to haunt me! :) Interesting information, however.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  9. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3 ounces is the limit. You can easily buy a 3 oz shaving cream at the store

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I shave every day(razor), and I dont think
    I've spent a $100 on shaving in the last 10 years combined.

11. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your trip is long enough that you will have to shave a few times wont you have more that just carry on luggage?

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak specifically to that Walgreens, but I've bought toiletries in Vegas before at major drugstore chains (CVS, Walgreens, etc.), and can't remember it being significantly more expensive. Although this is part of why I just started checking a bag.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am assuming the OP is not doing any checked bags - otherwise this would not be an issue.

Even if Walgreens charged double - how much would that be?

14. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even the various Walgreens on the Strip aren't that much more expensive. Save yourself the hassles and just purchase what you need when you get to town. It's not like you are in some Third-World hell-hole after all (Vegas is a First-World hell-hole!) ;)

15. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you really want to carry your own supplies, go to your home Walmart or similar and buy the empty travel bottles. You can use your own good products then.

Don't know about shave cream. That might be easier to buy in Vegas. Walgreens own brand should be fine if you want to keep costs down.

Slightly off topic. Do they still those bars of shaving soap and a brush?

16. NeonAndBeach

NeonAndBeach Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  17. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once we check into our room, the next stop is Walgreens to pick up miscellaneous items.

18. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I have to shave daily too (though in Vegas I sometimes let stubble grow). Like others said there is no headache in figuring out the size, if its under 3.4oz and placed in your "freedom bag" its good to go as far as the TSA flunkies care. All those travel size shaving creams are under the limit. You can also look into shaving oil if you want a more permanent solution that you can leave in your bag and not have to replace too often.

But it sounds like you don't shave often. In your case I'd skip the shaving cream altogether and just use the conditioner in the hotel to shave. It actually works great and doesn't dry your face like shaving cream does. Just bring your razor and you're done.

19. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try and get it now. Target has probably the best travel size display. I don't think it's an issue of cost as I can't see a strip drugstore marking something like that up more than a couple cents that regular price. The issue is do you want to spend the time now or later. I'd rather spend the time now than taking up Vegas time looking for essentials.

20. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just checked – my little travel size of Gillette Foamy that cost a whopping $1 is 2 ounces. That's enough for several trips, but then, I have a beard and mustache. (Shaving around a beard is more difficult and takes longer than not having one, but the shaving cream lasts a lot longer!)

Hey Leo21: It looks like we arrive at the same place around the same time on Sunday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.