1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cancelling room and re booking

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Chrisnewton, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all

I booked a 7 nights stay this august last year in the MGM Grand, i paid the deposit but now when i go on the website i have noticed its cheaper.

Do you think i would be allowed to cancel my booking and re-book?

If so how would i go about doing this i live in the UK so phoning is a bit expensive, also would i be wise to book room first before cancelling so i dont get caught out?

Thanks for any help

Chris

2. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no knowledge of whether or not there's an international charge on toll free numbers (00-1-877-880-0880), but if there isn't, I'm 100% sure the reservation agent there will modify your existing reservation with the new rate.

Otherwise, I'd just make the new reservation and then cancel the older reservation. They don't charge you for canceling and my guess is the only thing you'd end up paying in the end is the minor interest rate from your initial deposit last year.

Good luck.

3. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your help, just noticed that on my booking it says i have a "new" grand king room where as if i cancel that and re book its just a grand king room...is there a difference??

4. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without knowing what type of rate you booked, no one can give you an accurate answer. Some rates are refundable, some are not.

I would start by booking the new reservation, making sure it is fully refundable, while the rate is low. Then send an email asking about the cancellation policy on the old reservation.

5. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think there's any difference, no.

I have not actually stayed in the MGM Grand in quite awhile, but I'm sure that when you booked initially they were finishing off their renovations of those old, weathered, crap rooms. I assume they took the 'New' off of the website in 2014.

The rooms there now look very nice.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had reasonably good luck over the years just phoning the reservation number and asking them to adjust to the new lower rate. Only push-back I can readily remember was from Ramada for a hotel in Chicago years ago.

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's no difference between the Grand King and the "new" Grand King.

If you call, they will adjust your rate and you will keep the same reservation number.

If you booked the original reservation on the MGM web site, and you want to try to cancel it online, this is what I would do:

Make the new reservation at the lower rate first. Get your confirmation number.

Go back into the booking engine (ie. as if you were making another new reservation).

On the screen where you put in your arrival date, # of nights, # of guests, etc., scroll to the bottom.

There should be links labeled:

Guest Services | Privacy Policy | Become an Affiliate

Click on Guest Services

It will take you to a screen where you can enter the confirmation number of your original reservation and last 4 digits of the credit card you used. Enter that info and click Find Reservation.

Once you're on the next screen, you should be able to cancel the reservation unless it was some sort of special offer.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to call.

8. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i really appreciate all your help and advice i think ill try calling..anyone know the number from the uk?

i know the number is

00-1-877-880-0880

Do i need to do anything special first like add more Zeros?

Thanks again all

Chris

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've canceled and rebooked lots of times. I've found it's much better to call and have had great luck with this. If you book 7 nights the overall rate for the 7 nights might go down but a night or two might be less expensive at the old rate. The clerks I've dealt with have let me keep the old rate if it was cheaper and switch to the new rate when it was cheaper. This gave me the best rates out of the two bookings.

Now, I call about 2 weeks before my trip just to see if there's anything discounts on my rates available. About half the time they'll knock another $40 or $50 off.

10. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 00-1 is the US Country code from the UK, so that should work.

11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always check my reservation for MGM thru their guest services link. If the room rate is refundable, you can cancel your reservation there very easily.

In your case, I would check to see if my reservation comes up via that link (rooms booked thru hosts or different way sometimes do not) then would book the new rates and get a new confirmation number, then cancel the old one. But then again, I hate making phone calls and would prefer not to have t bother with talking to them :Þ

12. luci5

luci5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use this to find the cheapest way to call international

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/

However if you are going to be calling the UK when you are away I can suggest downloading the app for Localphone and loading it. Calls to the US and the UK are only 0.4p / min.

If you have booked direct with the MGM you can just call and get the rate adjusted. If there is any offer code, have it handy.

13. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow that's amazing how does that work? I went to the first one for 1p a minute and it says all you do is call the number first, then the number you want to to phone and only get charged 1p a minute? How do they make a profit? What's the catch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.