1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA Mobile App - BOARDING PASS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mdee, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just updated my SWA mobile app on my iPhone and was happy to see SWA is now allowing Mobile Phone Boarding Passes!
    Currently from a few select airports including Orlando and Las Vegas! ! I'm very happy about this. Has anyone used it yet????

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How does this work? Do the security folks at the checkpoint accept the image of your boarding pass on your phone? I thought they had to initial it? Does the gate agent actually scan your phone as you enter the jetway?

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is great news!!! I've been waiting for this!!!

4. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

The square "box-code" scans at both TSA and at the gate while boarding, no different than scanning a grocery item. TSA still checks your id vs info on their screen via scanned info.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm confused. Why is this such a big deal? I check in 24 hrs ahead of time and then I check my luggage and a boarding pass is issued at the kiosk.

6. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It means that you can use your phone as your boarding pass. No need to print out a piece of paper at home, or have a pass printed at baggage check.

7. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used it for me trip last weekend. However, it was only available on my way out. On the way back, it said I was checked in, but still needed to print pass out. I have no idea why it was available on one flight and not the other, but it is convenient!

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that's a big deal? Oh, it's so hard to collect that piece of paper at the kiosk and have to carry it all the way to TSA, then the gate. Probably requires me to have a drink before I board after all that heavy lifting.:evillaugh

Kind of reminds me of a thread a while ago where someone posted it took too much time to look at their wristwatch for the time. They use their phone.

9. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if you are running late and there is a huge line up at the kiosks, it could be very handy.

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never see anyone at the kiosks, typically I'm the only one using it.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, we always check luggage, so we have to be at a kiosk.

12. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm gladly using my e-pass to get on my southwest flight this afternoon. Less paper means less waste, and less shit I have to fish out of my pocket at the end of the day. Plus, saves me time at the kiosk if I don't want to wait in line, or I'm running late for my flight from work. Has nothing to do with being lazy, and all with being more efficient and environmentally friendly.

As the old saying goes, pennies make dollars. Time is money, and all of these little extra conveniences end up adding up.

13. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess this is good if you are not checking luggage. I always check luggage, so I am right there at the kiosk or desk, so I might as well print my boarding pass while I am there.
    A good deal for some, for others, no biggie. Unless I am missing something.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my mind, which continues to shrink as I age, it's just one less thing to do and one less thing to misplace.

15. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a frequent flyer for business, I've used this option for flights on other airlines who have offered this functionality for some time now. After using it several times, I've chosen not to use it for these reasons:

1) Always fly with my passport, even domestically. This ensures I have 2 ID's with me (drivers license) in case I lose one. The printed boarding pass fits neatly in my passport, so I don't spend time fishing around for it anyway.

2) I've found I am uncomfortable having my phone out during the security process. My purse has a cellphone case and it's more secure there. There's been a great deal of fumbling around with my phone by TSA trying to get the bar code to scan, etc...

3) I had one flight significantly delayed and only had the mobile boarding pass. Once the intital flight time had passed, even though the flight hadn't left, the boarding pass expired and 'disappeared'. I then, during the boarding process, needed to have the gate attendant print a new one for me. I've had several other business colleagues have this happen and we've all sworn off it until that glitch is fixed.

I like to think of myself as a techie and live and die by my phone, this is just one advancement where I haven't seen a big payoff. Just wanted to post a few of the drawbacks from someone who has used it (albeit on other airlines) many times.
    diane

16. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dbueler,
    Agreed. An Epass could be convenient, but if something happens?
    It can be a problem.
    I usually carryon, so I get a boarding pass when I return the rental car while in the building, before getting on the shuttle to airport...........or, once in awhile get a Bp when arriving at McCarran at the kiosks other than near SW cuz its usually a zoo.

Besides,I am usually using my phone for other things, and Not having it in Epass mode, is better for me.
    Plus,I Usually stuff my phone inside my carryon at the last min. before going thru Security.
    You can also hold your Paper ticket thru Security or if you have to go thru scanner, which you can't with a phone ticket.
    I Prefer paper Bp.

17. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CLV,
    Those are some other good reasons to consider. I was also in an airport where the connection was nearly non-exsistent "down under" in the security area, I like never got the boarding pass to come up on the app. That particular airport had paid wi-fi only so I wasn't connected.

At this point, it's been more pain than gain for me. I pretty much always check a bag on SW so I don't lug it around when they will check it for free, so it makes it much less beneficial for me than the other airlines as well. I do try to have it printed, even if checking luggage tho, since most airports have a "bag check only" line.

Additionally, I have TSA Pre-check so the security line hassle is soooo much less. I much prefer to have my phone safely stowed away.
    diane

18. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I usually got the Pre-ck too.
    Paper tic is way ta go most of the time. I just don't want to chance it.
    And signal prob is definitely a Problem too.
    I have ATT. Need I say more? :evillaugh

19. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think its a nice-to-have, but I don't trust it. Phone problems make me nervous and the paper is still really easy to get (at least for SW flights) in every airport I use, including LAS.

I will say that the Southwest app has improved leaps and bounds over the past year. You used to have to look up your confirmation number to check-in on the app, now it has all that ready for you.

:beer:

20. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like this idea because it means SWA is getting with the times and moving forward. Other airlines have been doing this for awhile.
    Plus it's one more thing my iPhone can do for me. Technology... Ya gotta love it! Now how can I get it to make me a decent cup of Coffee?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.