1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Badlands, TPC or Angel Park

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Snidely, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which one would you choose? Looking for a tough test, beautiful views and conditions. Will rent clubs and want to keep greens fee and rental clubs under $150 for an approx noon to 1pm tee time.

Played Primm Desert last year and like it a lot. The course was fairly easy, though. Desert golf appeals to me as there's nothing else like on the east coast where I live.

My first choice is TPC playing off the tips. TPC rents Titleist AP2 irons which I'm very interested in trying out.

Any reason to talk me out of TPC?

2. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When are you going and where are you staying? Suncoast?

Angel Park, Mountain is okay. Mountain course is a huge misnomer. They shoul call it Angel Park, Out In A Flat Field course. Nothing special to me.

TPC was good. I've played there twice and would again.

But I like Badlands the best. You have to think off of every tee. It's not just grabbing the driver. Lots of apparent risk and reward holes. I like that. It's less expensive than TPC too. Makes for a fun day playing all three nine hole layouts.

I wish I was there. I would rent you MY Titleist AP2s for cheap! lol

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback.

How do you like the AP2s? We're going the first week of July (the heat doesn't bother me) and staying at South Point for a few days then moving to Bally's on a 5 day comp. I will be eating breakfast with my wife at SunCoast then leaving her to gamble while I golf.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Angel Park is OK and since you are leaving your wife at SC, it is right across the street. We walked there and rented clubs last month. About half mile walk to the clubhouse from Suncoast.

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like my AP2s.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Angel Park has some things going for it but if you want to man up Snide then I'd have a go at TPC. Badlands is "nastier" and it scored well in my book and other writings, but TPC I feel is overall a better play and a better facility, with better maintenance during my years of Vegas golf obsession.

AP2s are nice. So are a lot of clubs out there. Solid, almost inert feeling (sound).

P.S. Big Tip knows his golf. (Not a dig on Joe, who is avid and value-minded.)

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been awhile since I've played any of those three. In past experience TPC was a bit overpriced but they send me offers all the time at much more reasonable prices.
    Badlands was in great shape my last time there, they may have even re-done it?
    If you really crave a desert track then Badlands might be preferable. TPC is a much more upscale experience though.
    And I am always hesitant to counter Ken's takes.
    Forget AP.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, like everything in the TPC network, the price can be nutty. But come summer it's not out of whack with other similar plays and as 'bu said, the e-offers can be pretty sweet.

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time to make teetimes and TPC is about double the cost of Badlands. Badlands here I come!

10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Played Badlands off the tips; first Desperado and then Outlaw. I enjoyed Outlaw. Couldn't score well at Desperado but didn't lose a ball through the first 7 holes. Then the wheels fell off. 8 and 9 at Desperado got ugly. Tough courses. One bird. Great conditions.

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Good conditions" is great to hear. We leave in the morning for another 3G trip, Golf, Gambling, and Guzzling.
    Coyote Springs Sunday. First time and I am excited about it.
    27 at Badlands Monday.
    Desert Pines Tuesday if it's not raining.

12. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And Snidely, thanks for reporting after you experienced what you asked about. I always like the "after" posts when folks tell what they ended up doing.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The excursion worked out really well. My wife and I ate breakfast at Suncoast before I headed over to the golf course. She watched the Jersey Boys movie. I drove to the golf course and got lost using a GPS and as it worked out, I could have walked there quicker. The round was over in 3hours and 15 minutes. The rental clubs were brand new Callaway X2 Hots. As the guy I was teamed up with said, the par 3s separate the men from the boys.

14. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good combo - Coyote Springs - my favorite course in the area. Badlands - done a few times, always in great condition. Desert Pines - I give it more credit than most people - I liked it a lot (I guess it helps to be first out, and to finish in 2 1/2 hours with a great score!)

Enjoy!

15. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto ^

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Badlands" and "good conditioning" are not concepts that always found themselves in close proximity over the years, and it was a real bugaboo affecting an otherwise really really fun track. But there was a bit of a revolving door of ownership and management. Glad to hear things have settled in.

17. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you Ken! I've been really lucky the 3 rounds I've had there - all in April after another management/ownership shake-down had settled (over the past 8 years).

Now, if we go back to Coyote Springs - their winter greens are still stellar - firm and fast - just how I like them (until my first putt from the 'wrong side' of the pin rolls off the green, and out comes the wedge).

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

They don't waste any time at Coyote. EZ drive on one to that octopus of a green.

19. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how Nicklaus likes it - wide open, yet 'fair'ways, then pinpoint accuracy with the irons to different levels of the green. I thought about his design after I put a 9 iron about '10 feet' from the pin on the 1st. That '10 footer' was about 25 feet, then....surprise.... four putts later found out why he made Coyote the way it is.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.