1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Open your mouth, boom, you put the whammy on yourself

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few days back I was commenting how odd it was I'd not been called to jury duty in the nearly three years we've lived here. Down in RivCo it was 365+1, like clockwork, or 366+1 every fourth year.

So what shows up in the mail today?

2. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is unlucky to be superstitious!

3. Lolli

Lolli Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the county I live in they do 2 month jury pools. I was in the pool for April and May. So far I've been called twice, lucky for me, both cases settled by lunch time before it went to trial. I still have the rest of this month to go, hopefully I won't get called in again, its not worth the whopping $10 per day and 24 cents per mile.

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They lecture you when you complain about this and say "It's your civic duty". No problem. I got that. But pay me what I make in my occupation. What's this $10 per day and 24 cents per mile crap. What f*#ken a-hole thought this one up.....:grrr:

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was called once, I loved it, I get paid my full wage at my job and show up for jury duty and are dismissed at noon every day. It's better than working. never even sniffed a jury, just sat there and read magazines along with about 250 other poor bastards.

6. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only thing worse than being called to jury duty (which you probably get out of ), is being
    called to be an expert witness & watching the case drag on & on during your family "vacation".

7. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my county you only get paid if your case doesn't get settled in the first day. The pleasure of sitting in the main room, sipping terrible coffee, waiting for your juror number to be called, going up to the trial, going through the juror selection process, lunch, continue the juror process, finally getting a jury and then having the extra bodies released is all on you. If you are 'lucky' to get picked as juror, 90% of the time the defendant realizes that he's in deep sh!t and cops a plea during a break and the trial get dismissed late in the afternoon.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some guy in a suit walked by and BOOM, next thing I know, someone's trying to sell me insurance ;)

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jury duty is one of those pet grousing points, but at the end of the day, looking at what it represents, I'm thankful to do it.

Last time up I was on a med-mal jury. Made me realize that "jury of your peers" isn't exactly an exact science. lol

10. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best thing to do with a jury summons is shred it. Until they pony up for certified mail (way too costly) they can never prove you received it and they have enough suckers showing up that they won't bother tracking down the no shows.

Having said that, I'm in the same boat as merlin and get paid full wage at work anyways, so may go if I feel like it.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is a freak about jury duty. He loves it and gets very confrontational when I point out that usually the only people on a jury are those who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty. :)

I've never sat on a jury, but I've reported a few times. First case was so stupid. They asked if I could be unbiased and I said "No". Okay, bye. Second case, my ex-boyfriend was the arresting officer. Okay, bye. Next time I'd been involved in a case just like the trial. Okay, bye. Etc. :haha:

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I shirk my Civic Duty.
    It started a long time ago -
    when, if I didn't go to work, I didn't get paid.
    In short, I couldn't afford Jury Duty.:Þ
    Now, I can.......but I'm not starting.
    I have recieved threatening letters --
    Even recieved a letter from a law firm : "We Need jurors for a Mock trial +
    we'll pay you $20 an hour."
    Isn't that interesting ?
    The address was THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE !!!:nono:
    So, any "Jury Dodger" like myself - shows up - and gets "Stung."
    I saw on TV, a similiar police "sting" -- where they had all
    these delinquents show up in a gym --
    And the cops busted thru the doors with handcuffs !!

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice to see that Dan loves America!! :thumbsup:

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it 4 times. Served on two juries, not picked on the other two. I was lucky our company paid the difference between jury pay and my wages.

Never been called again since retirement. Ken, did I just jinx myself? :evillaugh

15. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had it twice....never got out of the jury room. I got paid from my job so I just sat, drinking my Poland Springs and reading.

The first time, we were dismissed by the jury warden just before noon, but the second time a judge came out ( in full robe) and thanked us within the hour of getting there.

I did notice when I checked in, there were a few unaccounted for potential jurors as their slips were still on the check-in table...so apparently not everybody shows up.

Me...I had the rest of the day off with pay.

16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm due.

Last time I got called, I sat in a room of 400 people. Some guy came in and made an announcement: This trial will last approximately 2 weeks. If you can serve for 2 weeks raise your hand. Anyone that didn't raise their hand is excused. Thank you for your service.

I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

17. Lolli

Lolli Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I certainly jinxed myself! Just got the mail and there it is.. another jury summons for May 27th. I actually find this laughable as I thought there is NO WAY I would be called in for a 3rd time, and definitely no way posting on a message board would jinx me lol!!

First jury duty I was dismissed as it was a case regarding violation of an Order of Protection and I currently have an OFP against someone in this same county. The case ending up settling before trial anyway.

Second jury duty, I was selected and we broke for lunch before the trial began. While we were gone for lunch, new evidence was introduced and the defendant took a plea, so again, no trial.

Hopefully this time I'll actually be able to deliberate on the case instead of doing nothing for hours.

18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you ever ant to get out of jury duty just tell the lawyers you are having a bout of diarrhea.:evillaugh

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was bragging how I was in first place out of 300+ people during the NCAA tournament. Wouldn't you know it that next week was a downward spiral out of control.

Apparently the gods don't like it when some people brag.

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Havent had it in 13 years

Guess I'm due,best was the grand jury ,2 months of getting paid and getting out by 12 pm and having the rest of the day. Best petit jury trial was the hooker and pimp trial ,evidence included a bunch of condoms and a half bottle of Motion Lotion. During deliberations ,one lady said "The only thing they proved is that somebodys been using the Motion Lotion" . The defendants walked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.