1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any U of Minn. football fans on board?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least the ones that didnt freeze to death this winter. Read today that your QB for the last two years ,Phillip Nelson ,who transferred to Rutgers this year got himself really jammed up out there. Him and another guy really beat a guy badly,critical list,brain damage really bad after a night of drinking.
    20 year old kid,free education at good universities , throws it all away. Hope the victim survives,a young guy with a wife and child from Nelsons hometown.

2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He left UMN and transferred to Rutgers, wasn't our problem any longer. Nelson and the victim were from rival high schools in Mankato, MN

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tragic story!

I just clicked onto it because of the "any Minnesota fans?" line.

I live in a very small town in Texas. Decided to attend the Texas Bowl a few months ago.

Minnesota vs. Syracuse.

It was darned cold in Reliant Stadium, so I bought a sweatshirt at the game.

All winter, I have enjoyed being the only person in my town with a Golden Gopher sweatshirt!!

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, nice! Thanks for supporting the university! I'm a season ticket holder, unfortunately to travel down there would have been very expensive (think $2k for two ppl), plus it was just too close to Christmas

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure the nexus really is Minnesota or Rutgers. Hard to find a big-time university immune from this stuff -- lower-division schools, too -- and in fact put 60 or 80 kids that age together, particularly in an environment that for all the bluster of education and higher learning is all about putting your physical will upon another, and you'll get the same thing.

Hell, the "best" player in college football, the winner of the award that exemplifies not only athletic prowess but ideals like "responsibility" and "diligence, perseverance, and hard work," per the Heisman mission statement, seems to have a penchant for questionable judgment when it comes to sex and women, and property belonging to others. When the Heisman Committee thinks of the concept of "community service" in association with its mission and representatives, does it have in mind Heinous Jameis' version?

6. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hometown is 45 minutes from Mankato, been there a billion times. Read an update the guy in the hospital sucker punched said QB and a different guy assaulted the guy in the hospital and said QB finished him off with a kick to the head while guy was on ground.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be amazed if they dont cut him loose

Rutgers or any other school doesnt need this kind of negative publicity concerning any player. Rutgers is just getting over what I call "The Rice Trifecta"
    Rice,Mike the bball coach fired along with the Athletic director over abuse ,both verbal and physical directed at players.
    Rice,Ray former star arrested in AC for punching girlfriend.
    Rice,Condaleeza former Sec. of State dropping out as commencement speaker because of demonstrations by students and faculty concerning Iraq War.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The whole story hasn't been told, from the latest reports it sounds like the badly injured guy took the first punch(from behind, knocking Nelson to the ground), then he was punched by someone else(he was also knocked down) and nelson subsequently kicked him in the head.

By the way, the whole thing was over the guy apparently flirting with nelsons girlfriend.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and now Nelson has been officially booted from the Rutgers football team (plus they've arrested the 2nd suspect)

sigh, everyone loses in this situation, just sad

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The sad thing is the injured guy is being touted as the hapless victim, not if he threw the first punch IMO. By the way, Nelson is only 20, I wonder how that bar owner feels if it turns out he and his buddies were served?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.