1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Update on Flamingo Bird Killer

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by smartone, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    16 hours a month for up to four years!!! thats ridiculous! Dude isnt gonna have a weekend for 4 years...his career is already ruined and now he has to give up his weekends...

He already spent 190 days in prison boot camp...

all this for killing a bird...a bird!!!

seems excesive to me...

3. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I thought I had crazy stories. Imagine that Trip report....

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First you kill the small animals, then you move on to bigger things.

5. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A gateway murder? lolz

Does it start with ants and a magnifying glass?

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make fun if you want, but there is something seriously wrong with people who kill animals, just for the sake of killing.

I am not talking about hunting, fishing etc, just those who kill for no reason.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me its at the point where I agree and I disagree...

16 hours a month for four years is 768 hours of community service, where when you consider he did the boot camp already that seems excessive.

On the other hand, this wasn't just "he killed a bird" like "How many chickens does KFC have killed every day?" or "My brother and I went hunting on the weekend and I got 3 ducks and he got 5" - it was a "He was on vacation, should have been relaxing and enjoying himself but instead he found pleasure in chasing down, choking and ripping the head off of a bird in a wildlife habitat" which makes it seem pretty depraved.

But then on the other hand you think of how many men got a BB gun or a slingshot as a kid and used it to shoot a pigeon or some other wild bird in their backyard where it wasn't "hunting" or trying to find food or even really sporting but just for the sake of playing with a new toy... in that case it more makes sense to call the kid a little rascal or for mom to yell at him to stop throwing it at his sister and take it outside, not "Gee, I should have my son locked up for 6 months and do a few years of community service because maybe there is something wrong with him"

So I can see both sides and think that if anything it should have been the boot camp or maybe 200-300 hours of community service, but not both and not community service that is going to drag out for 4 years - like if he had a free week off this week he could punch through maybe 60 hours worth of community work and do that every 3-4 weeks so he is done his community service in a couple of months...

8. Kupkakez

Kupkakez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think he deserves it. I just read the story, and that's disgusting.

How drunk do you have to be to gruesomely injure an animal like that? What a loser.

9. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not making fun, I just think saying killing smaller animals will lead to killing larger things is an ignorant statement.

Same as I disagree with the whole "gateway" drug argument.

When hunting bird gets boring do you move to deer? when that get boring do you move to lions? then humans? unlikely...

I definitely don't agree with what the dude did, but I do think the punishment is excessive

10. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God that's sick.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3. Torturing Small Animals
    This is one of the strongest warning signs. Children who torture or kill small animals like squirrels, birds, cats, and dogs without showing remorse are highly likely to be sociopaths. Many serial killers kill to control others’ lives, and as children, small animals are the only lives they have the power to control.
    Cannibalistic serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer would bike around the woods as a child, collecting dead animals to dissect. Dahmer even killed and dismembered his own puppy, mounting its head on a stake when he was done

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully this thread won't run off the rails too. :(

As a person who accidentally killed a bird and felt sick about it, I don't understand this person at all. I wish crimes against animals were punished MORE harshly, in general. I'm not sure I have an opinion about this guy's punishment other than I'm glad he's not in my social circles so I don't have to kick him next time I see him. ;)

13. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I don’t have a strong acceptance for psychological claims such as these though. I don't feel the database of studied sociopaths is large enough to make these conclusions, and that there are trends and commonalities among them that have been over looked and/or ignored.

I do not want this to turn into a hunting debate, but I don’t understand how, based on these "scientific" conclusions, hunting for sport is not a sign of someone being a sociopath...

Regardless, I dont agree with what he did, and I am glad that he did face some form of punishment....I just feel the additional sentence on top of the already served prison time is too much.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hunting for "sport"?

Rifle. "Manly man." Elephant. Boom. Dead.

Yes, very acceptable behavior.

Dropping Dumbo ain't feeding a starving family in America. It's killing. Period. Wanton. Go mano y mano with the big one if you want to engage in a a "sport."

P.S. This will be closed down short of the 33rd post. We're all gamblers here. Who wants a piece of the action? ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  15. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People who injure animals are disgusting.

On another note: This topic was important to LucyR. I notice she hasn't posted in months. I hope she's all right.

16. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, seeing this thread got me wondering about Lucy as well. I hope everything is OK.

I think the sentence was appropriate.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the same thing when I went searching for the original thread to update...

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People who wantonly injure or kill most anything are rather disgusting in my book, particularly if the victim is another person.

But society, even our supposedly "civilized" western society, dispatches critters great and insignificant with abandon; it's all in HOW we value different things. Eat a dog in America? You're a cretinous insensitive dirtbag. Eat a dog in SE Asia? You're providing for your family. But damn who has the best slaughtered Angus in Vegas??? Maybe folks need to consider their place in the consumption and supply chain and how it relates.

Back when I worked in government, we spent a lot of time juggling with the Endangered Species Act. Folks didn't have too much trouble with the concept of saving something regal or noble or cute; a bear cub is a helluva star for your PSA on not whacking down some forest. Now if the bulldozers of progress and civilization are stopped by some ethereal flower or maybe a rodent, it ain't all that sexy and no one is out there short of some "fringe radicals" waving the flag of support for some salamander.

But such is the web of life. Yet some species are cool to eradicate?

This guy appears to be paying a rather hefty price for his drunken and wanton act. If there is such a thing as a god or a higher authority, maybe folks should just sit back and let him/her/they/it mete out a "more just" punishment.

I know some of this will be lost on some. I'm not defending what this guy did.

19. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the way the original story was being thrashed around it sounded like he'd gone nuts and killed a few flamingos.

one bird - lot of punishment for one bird.

probably wasted the bird too.. wonder what it would have tasted like on my smoker.

(ducks below parapet) (see that - almost a double bird pun).

20. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back to the original post...if he was not able to practice law along with the punishment he has been served with then I would be good with that. The article says his first comment since it happened was "I'm sorry, worst moment of my life" is bullsh**. His first comment was his dad was an attorney with the arrogance that he would get off with a slap on the wrist. He was a law student who should have known better....drunken a** or not. personally I think on top of everything else he should have had to complete a alcohol abuse program also....just my opinion, don't really care if anyone agrees. If you think what he got was excessive that's your opinion. Sorry, this story had pi**ed me off since it happened.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.