1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car dealer free shuttle - tip?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife's car is a 97 Outback and starting to have a few problems.

The question is, when I don't want to wait for the repair and choose to just drop off the car and have the dealership free shuttle drive me home, do I tip the driver? About a 7 mile, one way drive.

I've only used this shuttle service twice and didn't tip, now I'm wondering.

2. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sometimes can be a good investment

Hand the guy a deuce,"have a coffee on me" ,you never know he may dropping off a carload of people and Joe may get dropped off first. Last time we took the parking lot shuffle from EWR I tipped the driver a deuce. There was abackup of people waiting for their cars,he ran over to the lot and brought mine back.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think tipping is required in this situation, but I also think that it would be the nice thing to do.

Bill

4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used the car dealership shuttle a couple times and never even considered tipping. I think it would feel awkward.

5. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I tried to tip one he told me they're not allowed to accept tips.

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, no, no. This isn't vegas, it's real life.

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It can't hurt to offer. I started tipping the way I would tip in Vegas. Some people turn it down. Other people nearly crap themselves with joy. It almost always gets me good service. It's a small thing that can mean a lot to somebody, it's a show of appreciation. There's a lot of other ways to cut household expenses.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think some of you are missing the point, he is the customer...the appreciation should come from the driver, who is doing his job, not a favor.

Now if the guy goes out of his way, maybe stopping somewhere or waiting for you, then perhaps some appreciation/tip would be warranted.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to think I'm missing the point, then go on and think that. But, as an adult functioning in the grown up world, I can assure you that I'm not missing the point. But, if you feel better thinking that, knock yourself out.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you think a tip is called for then go ahead, you can hand cash to everyone for that matter. I would be willing to bet that the shuttle driver rarely gets a tip, he's not a valet, and you're not there to show off while your car is in for service

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'm a High Roller, gotta show off my 2007 Saturn death machine recall edition, that my husband does all the servicing on so this is a hypothetical question for me anyway.

The point is. Since we're talking about the point;

In Vegas we tip to show appreciation to somebody who is doing us a service that is their job. After my first trip to Vegas I figured...what's the difference? Here or Vegas? No difference in my mind. So, I started to tip like that. It's had almost no impact on my household budget because it's not often in a tipping situation.

You can tip the dealership shuttle guy or not tip the dealer shuttle guy. Joe asked a what would you/do opinion based question and I answered it. I don't care what you do but don't tell me I'm missing the point.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, you dont understand the point, the point is that you dont tip, you dont tip because they didn't give you a service you asked for, they offered you a service to get rid of you, they dont want you hanging around the dealership asking every 10 min if your car is done or not.

Now you can tip him as much as you want, when you want, but the guy wondered "if" he should tip? And the answer is NO, not unless he went above and beyond.

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of us is missing the point...but...it's not me.

15. Dweller

Dweller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it is insulting to tip someone whose job doesn't involve tips. I also think it will make you look naive like a person who never gets out in the world. Thats what I would think if I saw someone tip the person who drives them home from the mechanic while their car is being fixed.

16. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is what I thought a tip was for- outstanding service, going above & beyond what their job entails

17. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Do not wonder, Joe.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, some of you guys are just plain awesome. :nworthy:

19. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After several seconds of deep consideration. I have decided that I myself want to tip Joe's dealership shuttle driver for Joe's ride to the dealership. Joe, if you would please accept my offer, I would be honored to show my appreciation to this person for giving you a ride to and from the dealership. I will send you the money any way you wish. I thought $2 was appropriate but I'm willing to go $5 because sometimes I'm not a nice lady and I have passive aggressive ways of showing it.

20. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip the shuttle drivers at the private airport parking lots if they do something for me to try and hustle a tip. Like when they carry my bag down the steps or wait by my car to ensure it starts.

If my car is at the dealership, I'm not happy and I don't want to be there. When I'm not happy, I'm in no mood to tip someone unless they do something extraordinary for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.