1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

1/2 and 2/5 NL During WSOP

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by PopMegaphone, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to Vegas in June and I was wondering how the competition level compares during WSOP for the lower NL games on the strip? My guess 1/2 is about the same and 2/5 is a little bit tougher? I doubt many WSOP folks are interested in 1/2.

2. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While there are more quality players during the wsop there are also more terrible players so occasionally you might get a tough game there is so many more options that there is no reason to stay in a tough game I feel the 2-5 games are softer then normal during the wsop as many players will try to play bigger in the cash games then normal and the normal 2-5 grinders are spread out with so many more 2-5 and larger games going .

3. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with above. Cash games are generally going to be softer. And like he said, if you get a bad table there will be so many options to switch too. Obviously the cash games at Rio will be pretty juicy but you will be dealing with higher rake and sometimes poor dealers.

Many people coming in are recreational players that play 1 or 2 wsop events every year because they enjoy playing poker. Many of them are generally terrible poker players.

4. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for the double post but wanted to add to watch out for the euro players. The game is played much more aggressively across the pond and since these players have access to online poker they can play a lot more often. There is a reason many can fly over and spend a month in vegas, they are pretty damn good.

If you find yourself at a table with all American players who are in town for a week or two you have probably struck gold.

5. tipdrill

tipdrill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would imagine softer...besides the WSOP, they're are still good player flocking to the other tournament series; VDSE, Wynn Classic, Rio Daily Deepstacks.

6. theghost

theghost Stuck at work, but should find a poker table

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience the past 2 years as been very similar to what's mentioned above.
    As we all know Vegas seems to make people do things they wouldn't normally do, imho this definitely gets magnified for the cash games during the WSOP.

For example as mentioned above, people are making an annual trek to vegas (whether based in the US or from abroad) and they know that is there one time to throw down with the big boys. I saw many players mention to their buddies and even openly acknowledge during table conversation that they were playing way above their normal bankrolls or playing in games way bigger than their normal comfort zone would allow with entire "rolls" at stake etc
    Not sure what you would call this phenomenon?? Vegas does bring out the degenerate in all of us doesn't it?

I found many people playing 2-5NL and even 5-10NL when they would be a 1-2NL player at home etc.
    I played with a few gentlemen who played all year in their 'home games' and brought the entire bankroll every year to take their shot.

If your their to make money in cash games and not so worried about tournament glory then good game selection and discipline will go a long way there.

Good luck and play well.

Hope to see you there

7. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said, on the most part it will be much softer during the WSOP, but you may happen across the occasional game that has more tough spots than normal.

With so much going on, it's of no real consequence if you find yourself at the occasional tough table, because you can just find another game easily enough.

Best of luck for the summer!

8. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.