1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How can you save your seat at buffet when alone?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Dweller, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dweller

Dweller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am looking for advice on saving my seat at a buffet when I am sitting alone.

This happens to me often and again a few days ago. I was at Aria buffet and I like to take small amounts of things at a time and make a few trips back to the serving area. But after my first or second plate the busboy or waiters think the table is empty and clear it away, they also take away the receipt left on the table. A couple of times they had already seated another party at my table.

I do not want to leave anything at the table. If I had a jacket I would leave that but I do not need a jacket in Vegas. Any advice? :peace:

2. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a really good question and not one I have a proven answer to.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest leaving a jacket or bag on the seat?

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if you don't want to leave anything at the table, like a book or a magazine, then all you can do is to let someone know before you leave that you are still there.

How about keeping a folded up piece of paper with you that says "I'm still here!" in big letters :)

4. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often leave a player's card + a pen. Then, I may pull out any pamphlet or brochure.

This also makes it easier to spot my table.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had this issue and done solo at many buffets over the years. Usually the server and the cleaner-upper have a good feel for who is still there and active and who has left.

6. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the player's card with a note idea -- I'm going to try that.

I don't know what it was on our last trip, but we did three buffets and got our table cleared early at all three of them. And it's not like we were languishing longer than normal -- at one place we came back to an empty table right after we got our drinks on our first lap!

7. birdman925

birdman925 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked that you called each run to get more food a "lap".

8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a good question. Even when there are two people it's a problem. It would be nice to be able to wander the buffet with your dining partner as opposed to having someone having to stay to "protect" the table.

We should invent a system here for the times you don't have anything you can leave at the table.

Bar customers will leave a cocktail napkin on top of their glass to show they have just stepped away and intend to come back.
    That might work.

They also will tilt their chair against the bar, but that is a little extreme for a buffet dining room.

9. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many buffets have that chrome/steel ring stand on the table, where they clip your receipt. If that receipt is left there, that is supposed to signal that you are still dining ... as we always take it down, and throw it away when we are finished. I think it would be proper if when your server brought your drink(s), that you could remind him/her that you are a single diner, and not to clear the table until that receipt ticket is gone.

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be seated at your table when you are alone, because, as Buddha pointed out, when you go to any buffet there is a receipt that you are given that you are supposed to leave visible on the table. As long as that receipt is there, no one should give away your table.

People go up and down at a buffet constantly, and each table has a server that brings the drinks. I would think they would know if one of their tables is finished or not and then give the okay to set it for a new guest. If that does happen again you should complain to a manager - it's really unacceptable.

11. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never ever had this happened to me. But since this seem to be an occurring problem for you why don't you just order another drink to let your server know you be right back.

12. stevenotstu

stevenotstu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I eat at buffets alone all the time when I travel to Vegas or on business. Just leave your napkin on your seat or booth seat. They'll know you're still there. When you leave you typically wad your napkin up and place it on your plate. That's the sign that you're all done.

13. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been my experience as well. I would think if they don't see a tip they would allow a few extra minutes to make sure you aren't coming back before seating someone else.

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It happens to me every now and again. One thing is that I try to go during a slower period so they aren't in a rush to clear the table. Leaving reading material or other personal items help. Trying to make eye contact with the busser or server also helps as they will see you head back up to the buffet and not out the door. Finally, make sure you clear your flatware from your used plates. Leaving them there suggests you don't need them anymore. And it does help everyone if they have a stand with the receipt or something to identify the table in use. I wish more places did it. I've seen receipts used and I've also seen playing cards. It doesn't have to be tacky.

15. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have left my napkin on the seat, the servers are usually aware as well.

16. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stopped at a Red Robin burger place one time solo and after coming back from the bathroom they had cleared my table. I had over half of a tall beer left and fries. They hooked me up with replacements so all ended well.

Mark

17. weekapaug74

weekapaug74 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happened to me last year at the Bellagio buffet. I came back to the table and they were trying to seat someone at my already cleared table.

18. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you placing your utensils on your used plate of food cause they could be your problem there. What I usually do is slide my plate to the middle of the table and place my utensils on a napkin beside my drink.

19. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffy 101

When you are going up for another plate of food, you place your finished plate to the center and outer edge of the table, and place your utensils neatly on your napkin in front of your seat. This alerts the wait staff to the fact that someone is still there.

Easy peasy........Never lost a seat yet!

20. weekapaug74

weekapaug74 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When it happened to me, I had left my napkin on my seat.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.