1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why no big-name DJs at CET properties?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by M_ILIS, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While watching that Bloomberg High Roller tour video with Loveman today, I realized none of the CET properties are known for having any well-known DJs. Seems like they're all at Hakkasan, the Encore clubs, Marquee or Light. Anyone have any theories on why CET has failed to capitalize on the DJ phenomenon? Maybe the Cromwell will hire some "name" DJs?

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why overall but specifically at Cromwell, Victor Drai said they decided not to go that route. Sounds like they want to develop some popular talent. I don't know if that is coming from CET alone or if all the other partners feel the same way.

3. sirdeez

sirdeez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Victor Drai has never been one to hire high price DJs... its never been his thing (there was an article somewhere I read about some host/manager that implied that was one of the reasons that led to him departing involvement with XS). He considers big name DJs concerts, not dance clubs.

Anywho, look at the CET properties... besides Planet Hollywood, none of them have a real party vibe, and PHo doesn't have the spectacular club to support the mega club experience. I also think honestly CET isn't going for that kind of business/clients. Again, outside of PHo, I never go to CET properties except to eat at Joe's at the Forum Shops.

For the Cromwell, they've booked some really respectable, NOT giant/mainstream names to play the day and night parties. Awesome DJs, as opposed to name DJs.

Here is the article, I can't wait to see what that roof is going to be like:

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/nightlife/2014/apr/10/drais-beach-nightclub-prydz-3lau-adventure-club-DJ/

4. TwiceTheJava

TwiceTheJava Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So am I officially "old" if the only DJ I can name is DJ Jazzy Jeff?

5. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They got Eric prydz at drais

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I think of "celebrity" DJs I think of people like Bruce Morrow (Cousin Brucie) and Harry Harrison. :) :) :) (not to show my real age)

I guess I don't really get it. House music at a bar or club all sounds the same to me. I couldn't tell the difference if the hottest celebrity DJ were spinning the records (MP3s) or just some bozo off the street, or if the whole session is pre recorded!

But back to the question, most of the CET properties that I know appear to pay more attention to live entertainment than the oh-so-trendy clubs. Places like Paris highlight their live music lounge. The local (to me) CET place (Horseshoe ) features and really promotes live bands.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cet doesnt own them there owned by other people same as mlife, but those clubs at cet went with more celebirty driven to get clientel and just a lower end dj and the still pack the place,.

the celeberty or reality stars get 10-50,000$ usually around 20,000$
    dj say 30,00$

so you total is 50,000$

compared to hakkasan 250,000 just for one dj and they have usualy 4, one headliner in main room, one in ling ling and 2 relief, so it adds up.

having a top dj insnt really like going to a club its more like a concert they go on at 1 am play till 3 am. people just look at the stage and bounce up and down till the pass out or are carried out.

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what you are saying is Paris Hilton or Pauly D spinning in AC does not rise to the level of a big name DJ? :thumbsup:

Actually received an offer from Harrah's AC w/ free tickets to catch Pauly D. I believe one or both will also appear in Vegas (likely at Pure). I think I'll pass.

If they could turn back time and date their purchase of Palms to the mid 2000s....

[YOUTUBE]lhHpLExSxZ0[/YOUTUBE]

9. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you look at the difference from MGM Mirage clubs to CET clubs they are different. They lease the space basically to MGMT companies and then they promote and bring talent. Pure doesnt bring big names cause AMG/Hakkasan group doesnt bring them. Plus pure is a small venue compared to Light, MArquee, hakkassan. To bring a DJ that gets paid $100k plus would kind of not work, money wise.

11. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why doesnt MGM have any big name singers while CET has

Celine, Britney, Rod, Shania, Elton, Olivia just a different philosophy i guess

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not true they do they have MGM Grand and mandley bay, hob .

they have santana resendecy.

billy joel rolling stones , the tons of bands what your talking about is resedency and that actualy has alot to do with the promoter as much as cet or mlife.

why doesnt cet have a real 20,000 seat areana while mlife will have 3 soon

its apple to oranges

13. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only other DJ I know of is DJ Bluntz, who is a fictional character from a TV Show.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MGM's emphasis has been primarily on Cirque shows.

Yes, CET emphasizes the named headliners.

15. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drai is all about getting good dj's and not paying crazy fees for them. ersonally it's a pretty solid lineup. 7 of the dj's were just at Ultra Fest in Miami but they are not main stage dj's so the $$ is less to bring them in. Haven't seen the EDC lineup but I'm sure a bunch will be there also but not main stage.

3LAU is interesting since he is a local and is getting a big push from Casablanca recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.