1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

wishbone ash?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by kitson, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

playing at the hard rock cafe on the strip on may 1st. this will be the last night of my trip, and found them on pollstar today.

from their bio, it seems like i should have heard of them, listened to a couple of youtubes, but nothing at all familiar. a 70's british guitar band, but i missed these guys...

anyone have any info, or did the members play in some other bands? any recommendations?

2. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they havent toured in years in fact i was shocked when i heard they where playing live again, either it will be a monster sell out or only 3 people will show up

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First heard them on an early FM station in Dallas while going to UT Arlington before Jerry's Cowboys and when the Washington Senators turned into the Rangers and played @ Turnpike Stadium back in 1972. That is 41 years ago and I too am surprised they are playing in some form or other. If original members exist they would have to be 60 + with VERY calloused fingers.....and I agree also, packed house or three geezers in the balcony.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have some VERY good music. Only one original still in the band (Andy Powell), he's a damn fine guitar player. It would probably be a fun show.

5. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

well...i am sure i will not opt for the standing only tickets, hips won't stand it. if the show starts early enough, and i can hit the early bird special just right before it, i might do it.

i promise not to tell those other two guys you called them geezers.

in looking at events for the nights i am there, i also found that a group that appears to have a cult following called "primus" starts a three night stand at the brooklyn bowl at the quad. in comparing videos, i think my choice so far is wishbone ash.

thanks for the responses, there were more than i thought there might be!

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    primus is great but if u cant stand up for for wishbone ash pass on primus b bowl will kill you and primus will give u a heart attack they rock

7. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

crowd of about 250, i would guess. high proportion of mullets and gray ponytails to the general population!

hard rock cafe on the strip, third floor, great room.

solid show, great musicianship, three guitars and the drummer, played for about 2 hours including the encore.

played what appears to be their best album, argent, in its entirety, the lady at the merchandise table did not have it, i think i would have gotten it, said it was from 1972 or so, so since i was in junior high then i can see how i missed ever hearing these guys.

audience members i talked to all seemed to have seen these guys touring in their college days, or heard them on campus fm radio stations back in the day.

in trying to think how i would describe them to my wife and friends, decided that it would be like hearing deep purple play a show, without hearing smoke on the water. i do not recall ever hearing any of the songs they played. however, for the majority of the audience, it was obvious that these were the songs of their college soundtrack.

very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours, and highly probable that the 32 dollars for the ticket saved me a few hundred on my last night in las vegas!

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh man Deep Purple. Saw them on their last turn (Burn). Elf opened for them. When the tour ended Ritchie Blackmore left to form Rainbow, he essentially took the whole Elf band sans guitar player. Ronnie James Dio was Elf's singer. Sorry to hijack :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.