1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Home audio Blu Ray help, please.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have begun Netflix streaming using the wifi of our Blu Ray player. We need captioning because we are both going a little deaf and movie audio just seems to suck these days.

Our current player is not compatible with Netflix for captioning, so I need a new Blu Ray player with wifi and Netflix capable captioning.

The current player is set up with RCA type plugs feeding our Vizio sound bar. I was trying to find a new player with optical audio out, but can't. Everyone seems to be "coax digital out". The sound bar doesn't have any input for coax, only RCA and optical inputs.

What can I buy that would work?

We have a LCD TV that has 4 HDMI inputs, but the speaker audio sucks, that's why we bought the sound bar.

2. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Blu ray players are relatively inexpensive now. You can get a good one that does everything you need for a decent price - you can check cnet.com for reviews or bluray.com which has forums that talk about films, equipment etc. You can get advice from people on that forum who are a whole lot more knowledgeable than I am.

You might also want to get a better sound bar. I have a Sony HTCT260H and it is phenomenal! It comes with a wireless subwoofer that you can place anywhere in the room and it has gotten reviewed as one of the best sound bar options out there. It also has inputs for both optical and HDMI.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT260H-Sound-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00E3AKF1C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398195033&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+sound+bar

There is also the upgraded version of the one I have which has even better sound because it also includes a tweeter built in as well as the wireless subwoofer:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT660-46-Inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00C25I5TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398195033&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+sound+bar

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a Vizio 210WS sound bar, also with a wireless woofer and we are quite happy with it, except we seem to be limited on audio inputs from all the blu ray players I've looked at so far.

4. starlight0229

starlight0229 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep the Blue Ray and get a streamer box such as a Roku 3

6. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't u just run the optical out from the TV instead of the BluRay player?

7. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I would abandon the idea of buying another blueray player. You really should invest in a video streaming device. Not very many people use dvd/blueray players any longer. The move is to get content streamed from the Internet/cloud.

The cheapest of these devices is the Chromecast. You can buy one on Amazon for $30... free shipping for Prime members. It hooks up to your Wi-Fi in your home (assuming you have Wi-Fi) and streams direct from the Internet. You can use your phone, laptop, or tablet to look-up shows you want to watch and then send them to your tv over Wi-Fi (the content streams direct, the device basically just tells the tv where to stream it from so you can still use phone, laptop, etc for other things). It's a content streamer, so it does more than just Netflix. Chromecast supports subtitles. This should work with your soundbar as well since it feeds directly through your tv. It needs to be plugged into an HDMI port and also needs to be plugged into a USB port on the TV or into the wall... either one works.

AmazonTV just came out for $99 and also is a content streamer. I believe with AmazonTV you can connect it via Ethernet, so you don't have to use the Wi-Fi. If subtitles are offered, I believe the AmazonTV would support that as well. AmazonTV will stream much more than just Netflix. You'll have to get on Amazon.com to see just how many providers are on there... but there are many.

All-in-all... this is about the same cost as a new blue ray player, but you'll get much more of it and won't have to replace the other blue ray player.

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NeoTV is $38 and hooks up via HDMI. Bad thing about chromecast is it hooks up via USB. A lot of the older TVs don't have USB.

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [YOUTUBE]HHoNQrxG_8M[/YOUTUBE]

Hello, lamp. Hello, pants.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cut me some slack on my stupidity. OK, hooks up to the TV via HDMI, but our TV audio speakers suck. How do I get audio to the soundbar which only has RCA type inputs, or optical inputs?

Crap the sound bar is only 2 years old, it can't be obsolescent already regarding inputs, can it?

11. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chromecast hooks up via HDMI for the video feed. It also requires a power source since your HDMI port doesn't have power.

For the power source, you can either plug it into the wall or plug it into the USB port on your tv. It comes with both options. It only uses the USB port for power when configured that way.

It's a very slick piece of hardware and works rather well.

12. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not looked into this in detail but it looks to me like the problem you have is that HDMI is needed to transmit subtitles (or a video connection). Try plugging your netflix box directly into your TV and it should be fine. If you are still stuck (and no disrespect to anyone here) the best place to ask for advice on this is www.avforums.com

13. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But you need to piggyback with your cell phone, don't you?

14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Samsung soundbar and have it hooked up with an optical cable with the optical output on the TV.

15. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Your cellphone, laptop, or tablet acts as a remote. Nothing more. The content is streamed directly from the Internet, not from your device.

It's google good.

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, but it is not on the list from Netflix of compatible closed captioning players. But, I appreciate the effort.:thumbsup:

EDIT: Called Netflix and this would work. He assured me that any 3D player would have captioning. Only some players built before ~2011 are not compatible. Of course I have one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our TV doesn't have an optical audio output.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked into this and ruled it out. You have to have a laptop or tablet running and this just mirrors the feed to the TV.

19. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not true. I've bought and set up three of these for friends.

The laptop, tablet, or smartphone merely acts as a remote. You search for programming with your handheld device and then transfer the stream to the tv. Once the stream is on the tv, it's coming directly from the Internet.

You can use your handheld device for anything else at that point. Including turning off the device if you don't want/need a remote.

It's definitely not a mirror.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is the response I got from Netflix.

I do appreciate the response, but I can go for weeks at home w/o turning on my laptop. I don't want to have to turn it on nightly to find a movie to watch. Hey, we still have a land line and answering machine. :wink2:

But I really do thank you for taking the time to respond.:thumbsup:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.