1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

4/10-4/15 Flamingo - A midget, a monkey, a wedding..

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by bahecasmart, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahecasmart

bahecasmart Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Just got back yesterday... working on a report... you can't make this stuff up.

2. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Posting a headline like that with no trip report readily available is cruel!:wink2:

3. bahecasmart

bahecasmart Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haha... so very sorry! got back and had to catch up with the real world of family and work and such. I promise details will follow in the next day or two

4. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE DELETED!!!!!!!!!
    :wink2:

5. bahecasmart

bahecasmart Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Background: A group of 5 couples, 40+ One couple are Vegas virgins, two couples are well-seasoned Vegas veterans, one couple has a few trips under their belt, and for my husband and I it was our second trip.

4/10/14
    Flight out of YOW at 6am, with a connection in YUL, flying with Air Canada. First flight was on time, flight from YUL-LAS was delayed by 4 hours. Yay. This, of course, meant that we hit the sports bar in Montreal at 8am. This could be where things started to go downhill. D&D, the Vegas Virgins, have not travelled together in 27 years. This is because the male D has a fear of flying. Putting this together with the fact that he hadn’t had a smoke since clearing Ottawa security at 4:30am, he was a little testy. So, more drinks to calm ourselves!! (hah!) Plane finally left Montreal around noonish, where it was announced that they didn’t have enough food for everyone on board. Yippee. Eventually land in LAS at 2:30 Vegas time, where we are met by Shawn from Presidential Limo for our ride to the Flamingo. Had booked a 12-person Escalade, which was lovely. A little tight with all of our luggage, but we made it. Check in was rather uneventful, Ricardo took good care of us and made sure all 5 rooms were on the same floor and in the same tower. Ended up on the 24th with GO Deluxe rooms, some facing the pool, some facing the Cromwell construction/Bally’s. No complaints about construction noise. Rooms were lovely.
    We all dropped our stuff off in our rooms, and prepared to head out for dinner at Toby Keith’s. We had read on VMB that there was a $20 all-you-can-drink Solo Cup night there on Thursday nights. I called a couple of weeks previous to our trip, and was told that this deal was no longer valid, but that they have Happy Hour from 5-8 Monday –Friday with ½ price drinks. When we arrived at Toby’s (around 5:30) and we ordered drinks at the bar while waiting for our table, we were told that there was also no Happy Hour deal. Funny, it’s on their website.. http://www.harrahslasvegas.com/content/dam/las/Dining/Casual/Toby%20Keith%27s%20I%20Love%20This%20Bar%20%26%20Grill/Drink%20Specials/Harrahs-Las%20Vegas-Dining-Casual-Toby-Keith%27s%20I%20Love%20This%20Bar%20%26%20Grill-Drink%20Specials-1.pdf
    Had a wee discussion with the barmaid regarding the disparity between their advertising and reality. However, we needed to eat, so we didn’t care. Restaurant was half-empty, so we weren’t long waiting for a table. Two other couples from our town were staying at the Monte Carlo, but we had arranged to meet them at TK’s for dinner. Were seated, and the lovely waitress took our appetizer and drink orders. Keep in mind, that there are now 14 of us at a big table in the middle of the restaurant. Appies arrive, yum.. dinner orders are taken. Another waitress comes over to our table and lets us know that we’re going to have to “calm down” and “relax”. We were having a good time. Yes, we were probably loud, but there were 14 of us. At a bar. In Las Vegas. On a Thursday night. This wasn’t the blue-hair early bird special at the old folks home. Or Chuck E Cheese. I don’t believe we were being inappropriate or offensive, so we asked to speak to the manager. The manager was not very friendly, and told us that he could ask us to leave, but he was just asking us to be quiet. At that point, our food was coming out of the kitchen, and based on the manager’s attitude, we decided to leave on our own accord. Several tables around us (one with children) were surprised at what was happening – the Mom told us we weren’t bothering them at all! The waitress told us to make sure we took our drinks with us (as we had ordered a few buckets of Coronas) and I made sure to grab a chicken wing on my way out the door (I was STARVING at this point.. first real meal of the day, and it was right under my nose!!) Too bad for Toby Keith’s. We had a really good time there last time, and were looking forward to another great party night there this time. It was a completely different atmosphere than it was 2 years ago, and clearly the management was willing to lose the $$ on what we had ordered rather than keep customers happy. Their loss, our gain.
    However, a meal might have saved the evening for me. After starting to drink at 8am Montreal time, not having much to eat besides some Twizzlers on the plane and a wing on my way out of the restaurant, I spent the rest of the evening getting intimate with the (very clean, but cold!) bathroom floor in my GO Deluxe room. The pink lighting lends a certain romantic quality to the room as it spins about.... Thank goodness for loving husbands who hold your hair and put you to bed once the heaving stops...

4/11/14
    Woke up super early (still on Ottawa time) at 6am Vegas time. Went down to the little cafe near the spa elevators for a croissant, Gatorade and water. Best meal ever. Went back to sleep while the rest of our party went to the buffet for breakfast. Everyone was famished after our lack of sustenance the previous day. One of the couples had rented a cabana for everyone by the GO pool for the day. Perfect way to nurse a hangover! Weather was awesome (I believe it was a record-breaker), drinks were cold and frosty, sun was therapeutic after our ridiculously long winter. S&K (the couple who rented the cabana) had recently become engaged and are planning a wedding in Aruba in November. The joke has been that they would get married while we were in Vegas. After many beverages around the pool, they conceded that they would get married in Vegas, but only if we could find them a midget Elvis and a monkey. The challenge was ON! After our day by the pool, a quick nap and shower, we headed over to O’Sheas for the Beer Pong tournament. Got there far too late for that, but still enjoyed a game of beer pong and played some roulette. Matt at the bar was awesome. Lo and behold, in walks Lucky the Leprechaun (Brian Thomas) !! There was much discussion about asking him to be the best man at the wedding, and I finally went up to him and told him our friends would get married if he would be the best man. Brian explained that he could do one better – he is a MINI-ster! And offered to officiate the wedding. When S reminded us that we still didn’t have a monkey, Brian held up his finger, and in all seriousness said “Let me make a phone call”. I believe at this point we may have all stood there with our chins down at our knees, not really believing that this was happening. He returned shortly with “I don’t have a monkey yet, but I can definitely get a koala.” *STUNNED SILENCE* Next thing we knew, the happy couple was out in the Linq making arrangements for their wedding the following evening! Who knew???
    By the way, the Linq is really lovely. Love the new O’Sheas.
    We headed up to Margaritaville to sit up on the balcony where we had dinner and enjoyed the view. Still trying to catch up to Vegas time, it was a fairly early night.

Part 2 to follow....

6. Patti_H

Patti_H Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just love Vegas stories...this one is looking to be epic. Can't wait for part 2

7. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow what a great start..no monkey..but a koala. Ha!

8. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad you left Toby Keith's. I would have too.

FU TK

9. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG!!! I can't wait to read the rest of this.... lol

10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    “I don’t have a monkey yet, but I can definitely get a koala.”

My laugh out loud moment this morning!!!

Have you guys gotten stuck with Rouge out of YUL like we have out of YYZ?

Westjet flies direct out of YOW but not sure if it is year round yet... something to consider.

11. bahecasmart

bahecasmart Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes, it was Rouge out of YUL. The direct flight with WestJet was prohibitive, but I may consider it next time. Last time we flew United through Chicago, no delays there. Ottawa's a bitch to fly out of, considering we're the capital city.

12. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Woah what a crazy story! I want to hear part 2!

13. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The start of what looks to be an epic trip report! Your koala story reminded me of a scene in The Big Lebowski:

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me....Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish. These f'ing amateurs... "

Glad you left TK's. Screw CET and their crappy chains.

[YOUTUBE]CK3uf5V0pDA[/YOUTUBE]

14. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was underwhelmed by Toby Keith's too. The yelp reviews are not that good, but i had a groupon. I would have never went otherwise.

15. bahecasmart

bahecasmart Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4/12/14 – Will there be a wedding??

Saturday morning found us all up early again. We gathered on the patio outside the little cafe with the best darned croissant breakfast sandwiches ever! I felt like Snow White with the birdies landing next to me and eating out of my hand. The mockingbirds were a little annoying, but being an animal lover, I was happy to be surrounded by the wee feathered fellows. The nature sanctuary at the Flamingo is really pretty. I enjoyed watching the various ducks, flamingos and pelicans while we had breakfast early in the morning. It’s a bit of a break from the noise and lights and concrete of the Strip. We all wondered if S&K were really going to go through with the wedding. It’s a second relationship for both of them, and they both have children. They didn’t want to exclude the kids from their wedding (hence the plan for Aruba in November) Although it seemed like a grand plan at the time, we weren’t sure if a night’s sleep had changed their minds. There was no sign of them that morning, and we were starting to wonder if they’d caught the first flight back home to avoid going through with it. My husband and our friend T had done well on the roulette tables at O’Shea’s, and decided they wanted to try again. A few others took a walk down the Linq to check things out. The High Roller is really neat to see. We decided that we’d take a ride on Sunday night at sunset to see what all the fuss was about. We eventually reconvened for margaritas on the patio at Carlos & Charlie’s. The food there is delicious (and plentiful) and the drinks are yummy too! As we were sharing a plate of nachos, the almost-newlyweds showed up with Marriage Licence in hand. IT WAS REALLY HAPPENNING! Brian had found a monkey, and they would be getting married at the Kiss “Hotter than Hell” wedding chapel, located conveniently inside the Monster Glow-in-the-dark Mini Golf across the street from the Hard Rock. Seriously. You can’t make this stuff up.
    So, the planning was on full force. We needed outfits. We needed a limo. We needed a bouquet and a garter and a veil! The girls headed off to the Caesar’s shops to find feather boas. The boys hit the men’s store in the lobby of the Flamingo and found some ridiculous sheer rayon shirts in a lovely shade of blue, with huge collars and golden (yes golden) tigers. Steal of a deal for $20 each. Fedoras were on sale at the gift shop, so the boys got black, and the girls got white. We found white feather boas (with gold accents) and a nice hot pink one for the bride. To complete her outfit, we got neon pink mesh gloves, a cardboard tiara, complete with white netting veil, a candy garter and a big purple candy penis on a stick as a bouquet. This was going to be one classy wedding! We all retired to our rooms to get ready for the blessed event, and eventually ended up pre-gaming in one room while waiting for the limo. In addition to her high-class accessories, the bride wore an almost obscenely short little black dress (as far as Vegas standards go, she wore far too much, lol...)
    The limo took us to the Hard Rock restaurant/bar, where we went in and sat at the bar for a bit while waiting for our ceremony time of 8pm. We made arrangements for the post-wedding reception dinner while we were there, and also met a super young man who was there on a casting call for Survivor! The staff at the HR were amazing, and made us feel more than welcome in their establishment. Drinks were plentiful, and no one stole the case of beer that was stealthily hidden in the bushes outside the bar  The bartender even asked the bride and groom for requests for the music they wished to listen to while we sat and waited! At about 7:45, we paraded across the street, all the while singing “Going to the Chapel”. We arrived at the Monster Mini Golf and were greeted by some great staff members, who welcomed us with open arms. There were some families there enjoying the mini golf, so we made sure to keep things appropriate and inoffensive to those around us. Yes, we might be rowdy, but we’ve all got kids and families, and if anything, we’re respectful of that.
    It was at this point that the absurdity of this entire affair kinda hit me. Maybe it was the black lights, maybe it was all of the KISS paraphernalia, the smoke machines, the giant Gene Simmons tongue slide?? Brian, dressed in his Elvis suit, was prepping the couple for their big moment, the monkey handler arrived with “Don Juan” in tow, and I started to giggle. And giggle, and laugh, and snort, and guffaw. Everyone else joined in and I’m pretty sure this was the funniest happiest wedding EVER.
    The monkey walked the bride down the aisle to Kip Moore’s “Hey Pretty Girl”, where he promptly sat upon the best man’s head for the rest of the ceremony. Mini Elvis officiated the ceremony in true Vegas fashion, with all of the vows being the King’s lyrics. Only wedding where instead of “I Do”, the commitment was “Hell Yeah!”. The newlyweds danced their first dance to “Blurred Lines” as they walked back down the aisle, monkey and all.
    My sides hurt from laughing so hard. However, it really was a beautiful ceremony, and perfectly suited to the group we were with. The kids that were in the mini golf all got to come and see the monkey while we posed for photos and had the traditional eating/tossing of the garter and flinging of the penis/bouquet.
    We retired to the Hard Rock for dinner, where the bride promptly fell asleep at the table. Dinner was tasty, the limo arrived and shuttled us back to the Flamingo for a good night’s sleep/a night of unbridled passion (for the newlyweds, of course!) ;)

16. sam

sam Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gosh you are right, no one could make this up. This has got to be the funniest thing I have heard of in a while. Your group must have been just fabulous. When my kids were teenagers they used to say we had more fun they had. Thanks for the report and good luck to the newlyweds.!!!!!!!!:

17. Patti_H

Patti_H Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome stuff :nworthy: . Sounds like my kinda fun. Congrats to the newlyweds!

18. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a crazy wedding! I doubt I'll ever get to witness anything so comical. Love it!

19. Jonnyvegas

Jonnyvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pictures of wedding please!

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely great report!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.