1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For All You Club Lovers!

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by smartone, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

From the article:
    Yes, I'm definitely part of that demo that wants hip hop and other stuff with a club vibe instead of the EDM concert-type experience they offer right now. If they could just extend that to Thur-Sat nights I'd probably hit them up more often.

Its interesting to read that Victor Drai never cared about bringing in the big name EDM DJs. He has the longevity in the business, but these guys jumped on something that was hot for the time being. In Vegas the latter tends to be successful since the town keeps reinventing itself all the time.

3. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you kickin. More hip-hop is needed.

4. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clubs look at where the money is. Marquee, light, hakkasan, surrender, xs are all doing monsterous amounts of alcohol sales because of high priced DJs. Clubs like Tao, and pure have multiple genres do good still. My opinion, Drais hasn't done well from the music, they do well because they are open later than anyone and when clubs close, employee's and patrons both will go. I also think as long as they play a mix of top 40, hip hop with some house they will be fine. If a club strictly plays hip hop, they are either closing or reinventing themselves fairly quick.

Right now clubs want bodies, but dance floors are getting smaller. When someone builds a place that fits a 5000 sq ft floor for the main area and one or 2 slightly smaller dance floors for different genres, they could have a gold mine. 50-75 tables .

5. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Listening to only EDM with no mollies gets boring after some time. :rolleyes2:

6. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno about mollies but I'm totally cool with a mix.

I actually like EDM but not enough where that's all there is. People don't dance to EDM like that but jump up and down.

It will be a sad day when clubs barely have a dance floor. Some are starting to become just large "see me" lounges.

7. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda dislike it compared to 5 years or even 10 years. To many promoters, to many hosts and too many people want info and then use that info to do it themselves, I have gotten 15 emails since beginning of the year about people not delivering what they say, and people ant to save $50. Lets get a $500 minimum to Calving Harris for 9 guys. This way of clubs right now has to change in the next year or 2.

8. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So wait, not to thread jack but can we confirm XS has been playing some hiphop on sun/mon?

I will be in town next sun! :)

9. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trap and house.

10. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While theres still a good amount of people that want HH clubs, I still feel that if EDM didnt get this big, Vegas clubs wouldnt have evolved as they would have the past 3-4yrs. It would have been stagnant... Hip Hop didnt grow as much the past years that was anything significant.

I highly doubt that pool parties(EBC, MDC, Wet) would have the same vibe if 2Chainz or A$AP woulda headlined. It just wouldnt be a big draw as it is now.

Regardless what many think, I still feel EDM saved the Vegas nightlife in the recent years. If EDM didnt come into play, the clubs that would probably be the talk of the town would still be LAX, Gallery and Risque. haha.
    EDM reshaped the nightlife hype these few years.

Honestly, you can get the typical Vegas club experience that you get at Pure and LAX at most major cities. But the big EDM experience in Vegas isnt something that can easily be experienced unless youre in LA or Miami. And thats why many people flock to Vegas to get that experience.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a niche for sure but that doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

EDM is a pocket of music that doesn't sell like hip-hop or top 40.

12. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am down with EDM but i would just as easily join the Down with Edm crowd as in get rid of it. It doesnt necessarily make clubbing more fun to me. I can attest to xs mixing hip hop with edm on sunday. it was a happy balanced mix.

13. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got to check it out!

Does anyone know if the bank still has the DJ booth on the dancefloor? I dunno but that kind of ruined it for me last time I was there.

14. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want more extreme, obscure edm, the kind played at 3rd world beach parties: astral projection, california sunshine, space buddha, Psilocybe Project. And, I want Vegas to make it and its trailing glowsticks mainstream.

schwaiguy

15. chekraze

chekraze Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The DJ with biggest draw now in Vegas has to Calvin Harris and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact he has succesfully married EDM with hip hop/pop. This is what most clubgoers probably want. He may not actually be the greatest pure "DJ" but as a producer he is gold. Same with David Guetta.

16. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a post-EDM Vegas

I've been thinking hard about this situation/post for the past couple of weeks. I love EDM Vegas so much, I tried to move there and am considering buying a house there.

I am wondering what appeal Vegas will have after EDM is played out. There will still be clubs, tons of attractive women, gourmet food, far more shopping than the dirt farm where I live. However, without the EDM, I don't think I'll find a post-EDM Vegas nearly as appealing.

Sometimes my promoter sends me to venues like Pure, LAX, and Tao. Given, much cooler than where I live. But it's not the same as catching Martin Solveig, Avicii, Knife Party, or Cedric Gervais at places like XS. These guys aren't my favorite electronic musicians, but this is the closest to mainstream my tastes have ever come.

schwaiguy

17. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

belive it or not clubs where alot cooler before edm and bottle service.:thumbsup:

now there not nite clubs there basicly concert halls, thats a big differnce, yes edm is fad ,it will pass like everything else and clubs will be come clubs again and take on what ever is hot again.
    time changes all.

no big deal i just go with the flow, to me all the djs sound the same and i coundnt care less who was djing as all they do is jump up and down , raise there hand and pump up the bass. as long as im having fun i dont care

18. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This kills me. These folks are not artists on stage. They are producers playing their preprogrammed music.

EDM won't die but the allure of certain EDM DJs showing up will.

I laugh that people care if Avicii is actually there or nah.

I've been to clubs where the DJ is spinning EDM and hip-hop and the DJ was unknown, for the most part.

If the music is good, that's all that matters.

19. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW someone got a bit butt hurt, plus I belive I hear the use of Mollies FAR more in rap than EDM lyrics so might want to replace Mollie with say MDMA :evillaugh. When it comes to clubs that profit, going not just from Vegas perspective but clubs I work in Oklahoma and Texas and friends who promote in Cali, NY and Chicago the EDM clubs are the profit makers. The rap clubs do not make the money the others do flat out in any of the cities I mention, hate on EDM all you like but when it comes to making money that is where the rubber meets the road.

20. sirdeez

sirdeez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hahaha... One, EDM is pretty much Pop at this point. Go look how many of those DJs/producers have had a single in the top 10 or 20 in the last year. The answer is ALL of them.

That being said, Vegas doesn't care how many records a style of music sells, it cares how many TABLES and TICKETS the music sells. Make no mistake, hip hop doesn't sell 4 $600/bottle minimums for the worst table inside and that's with a $400 handshake (that's XS btw). Someone going out for a regular club night, who likes a nice mix of music and to dance around a little bit, is not what makes Vegas clubs money.

So, to call a style of music that has gotten progressively more and more "POP"ular over the last 15 years a niche is well... not correct. Most people just didn't know about it until it got to the mainstream level... and most mainstream styles of music don't just go away.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.