1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

24 hour Buffet Pass

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by njude1971, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njude1971

njude1971 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We received a free 24 hour buffet pass for 2 for signing up for a Total Rewards Visa. Not sure if I could eat 24 hours of meals at a buffet. For those who have used one of these, do you eat 4 meals or 3? Are you completely stuffed after? Also which ones are the best? We have tried Paris, Planet Hollywood and Harrahs on previous trips. All were good with Harrahs being are least favorite. Any info would be appreaciated.

2. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My suggestion for 24 hour buffet passes is to just eat a little something every 3 to 4 hours instead of stuffing yourself. Just snack off them all day until your time is up.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah thats my thinking too: to a lot of people they see buffets like "I have to eat until I am burstingly full!" and while that works for some, for me it leaves me feeling full, bloated, stuffed, etc all day long and in to the next day.

For a 24 hour buffet pass I just approach it like a variety of foods instead of a mountain of food... for breakfast I'll usually just have a small plate like some hashbrowns, bacon and a bun and then for lunch a small salad and a variety of lighter foods and then coming back for dinner I will go for a bit more food and be willing to eat heavier stuff.

4. njude1971

njude1971 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats sounds great! Maybe thats how I will approach it.

5. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this at the Orleans, but they gave out a wrist band that also works as a line pass. I'd play poker, nip up for coffee and fruit and any small bite, play again, nip up again, and so on. But each time I just walked in the VIP line and held up my wrist.
    The one time I had a 24 hour pass (Veteran's freebie on Veteran's Day) I still stood in really long lines to eat at the places I wanted to try. It would discourage me to go for just a snack.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  6. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always do it for 4 meals i usually do it twice per 7 day trip

Harrahs is my fave, flamingo is the one i like the least but its more than fine for breakfast

7. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always do once each trip. We start with dinner about 8pm at Rio or PH. Breakfast next morning at Flamingo or PH, lunch....? and dinner again at whichever we didn't go to the night before...Rio or PH. The only meal that we eat more is the 1st dinner....pretty hungry after traveling. The other meals are very light and only what we really like. Lunch may just be a small salad or some soup.....maybe some shrimp cocktail. For us, it is a good value.

8. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Late dinner, Brunch, then dinner again.

One reason it's hard to do 4 meals is that it's, one, too much food, and two, you are tethered to having to go at certain times.

I don't like NOT staying out late because I have to get up to eat breakfast, so I eat a brunch or lunch. Paris is my go to spot for that hands down.

Vegas is great for eating when you feel like it. It's bad enough you have to make it under the wire for that last dinner.

9. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    buffet

For me the best bang for the buck was to get 2 dinners within the 24 hrs....I try to get in before 5pm (to start the "clock") for the first dinner.....later that evening, if I want a snack, coffee/dessert, I'll duck in the closest CET buffet, Caesars excluded.....next morning breakfast, usually at Paris by 7:30......I usually skip lunch, though you could get a snack/beverage at the closest CET buffet prior to dinner.....then dinner before 5pm again.... the main thing to keep in mind about the 24 hr buffet is, towards the end of the 24 hr time period, you have to be past the cashier and not still in line, in order to use the pass....and depending on the time of day, the queue to get in can be long....

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Neither, we did 2. First was an early dinner the day we flew in and second was brunch the next day. That was plenty, had no appetite for another buffet after that. When you get a free buffet pass, cramming as many meals as possible into 24 hours is kind of value destructive if you're not thoroughly enjoying it.

To answer your other questions, yes I did feel stuffed. I wish I was disciplined enough to only eat an appropriate amount at buffets but I usually end up cleaning my plate(s), even if I'm not particularly impressed with the food. Just the way I grew up, it's a bad habit in my opinion.

You probably know Bacchanal is considered the best of the bunch but there is a surcharge. I found PH dinner to be pretty good and Paris brunch to be very good. But for me good means finding a couple dishes that I really like even if several others were unimpressive.

11. jgxtrav1

jgxtrav1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I both got the credit card in 2013 so we did it twice on credit card comps last year (in addition to using some of our comp points to do it more times). I made four trips to Las Vegas in 2013-2014 with four sets of 24 hour Buffet of Buffets. My wife joined me on the first three trips.

The first trip we did:

5:30 pm dinner at Caesar's/Bacchanal with a $25 surcharge (using comp points, of course) (fabulous!)

8:00 am breakfast at Caesar's/Bacchanal with a $15 surcharge (using comp points, of course) (great but not much better than Paris/LeVillage)

5:00 pm dinner at Rio/World Carnival (great)

Second trip we did:

8:00 am breakfast at Paris/LeVillage (great)

5:30 pm dinner at Planet Hollywood/Spice Market (just ok)

7:30 am breakfast at Paris/LeVillage (great)

Third trip we did:

5:30 pm dinner at Caesar's/Bacchanal with a $25 surcharge (using comp points, of course) (again fabulous!)

8:00 am breakfast at Paris/LeVillage (great)

5:00 pm dinner at Rio/World Carnival (great)

Fourth trip (solo, just me):

7:30 am breakfast at Paris/LeVillage (great)

4:30 pm dinner at Planet Hollywood/Spice Market (great this time)

7:00 am breakfast at Paris/LeVillage (great)

Our favorite meals were:

#1: Dinner at Caesar's/Bacchanal
    (with credit card comp/comp points; probably wouldn't pay full price)

#2: Breakfast at Paris/LeVillage

Dinner/breakfast/dinner is the "best deal" but I really love breakfast/dinner/breakfast so it's a toss up there.

Since we have often done buffets in Las Vegas, over eating was only a minor issue (just for me as my wife has great self control at these).

In addition to the above "main meals", we actually stopped by a couple times and had a snack when we felt like it.

Enjoy wherever/whenever you choose!

p.s.
    My wife and I are both mid-60's.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  12. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And doing it like that you can be a bit more picky on hitting when lines when they are shorter.

13. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked this very same question for our upcoming trip this May and this is what we got out of it from the responses.

***1) The 24 hour clock starts when you go to the Total Rewards desk to activate it.

2) With the TR Visa, you get Platinum and reportedly that allows you to go to the shorter lines (not sure about the Caesars line).

3) It was suggested to start the 24hr pass with a late dinner, for that way you can get a second earlier dinner.

4) You have to be at the Hostess station for seating before the 24hrs runs out (not just in line).

We plan on having later Dinner for the first night, then on day 2 breakfast, then an earlier Dinner. On day number 2 we will be in the Flamingo area that afternoon, and plan on going to the Flamingo buffet for just a snack, for maybe coffee and small desert.

We are two meal a day type people (Breakfast and Dinner), with a snack in the afternoon. Just because it is a 24hr pass, it will not change our eating habits and have no desire to STUFF in a full lunch, just because it is part of the 24hr pass and ruin dinner.

14. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy: to all above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.