1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Large group needs reservation for all meals?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by GawdyGypsy, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GawdyGypsy

GawdyGypsy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy crap I just started booking our dinner for the night of the wedding and they are requiring a preset meal at all the places. Which is something I didn't think of but I can deal with it. So my question is this do I have to make reservations for each meal while in Vegas for 40-50 people because our itinerary is lax and I don't want to have a schedule for our guests every second. Also, do I have to pay for a room each time we eat? I'm so confused. Please help.....

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you planning on having 50 people at every meal? Or just for the wedding dinner?

I've walked into a restaurant with as many as 15-16 people and after some arranging, they were able to accommodate us without a reservation. But 50? That's going to require much more planning.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good way to ruin the vacation would be to try and schedule things for everybody to do together as one massive group - the wedding dinner is one thing but then after that everybody should pretty much be able to do whatever they want and if they want to meet up with a few people thats good and if they don't then that should be good too.

Otherwise, for a big group then yes, some places will require advance notice: they have to make arrangements for food, staff and space to accommodate groups that big - because if they have only 3 people working the kitchen and 3 servers that its enough to handle a typical Wednesday night, as an example, and then suddenly 30 people walk in at once they just wouldn't have the staff to handle such a surge.

And for dining in big groups also remember that tips are usually mandatory if the group is 6 or more people... if you have a pretty big group together that can really add up to a big amount at some places.

4. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you could walk up and get 50 people in anywhere in Vegas without a reservation. I would doubt that everybody would show up for all meals and I am sure if you made a reservation for 50 people you would be paying whether or not everyone came.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that trying to plan all the meals for everyone is quite an undertaking. I'd say have a nice wedding dinner, then maybe say "We'll be at the ___ Buffet during these hours" and people can join you or not.

When we were looking to have our wedding in Vegas, we found lots of great options for groups around that size. Most did have a specific menu and required tips and guaranteed number of diners, etc. My favorite was the little room at Mon Ami Gabi, but I think that only held about 30 people.

Keep us updated on your plans! How exciting!

6. GawdyGypsy

GawdyGypsy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no intentions of making an itinerary for everyone other than the ceremony and the dinner. My idea was sort of like you mentioned "we will be at x place around this time join us if you feel like". However this group is all super close and I feel like people will want to be together a lot of the time. It's not a bunch of extended family or anything like that. Now I'm a little terrified. Even that Mon Ami Gabi said it would be $2000 to hold our reservation, we just don't have extra money to throw at stuff like that. We came to Vegas in the first place to save money on a no traditional wedding. Plus we are having a full blown reception when we get back. Crap. Crap. Crap.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you were expecting them to give you the food for free (or planning a mass dine-and-dash) that $2000 isn't "extra money"

The restaurant is pretty much just asking for you to pay for the meal upfront so that they don't go and order all this extra food and schedule in extra staff and then have you change your mind or cancel and then leave them on the hook for it all.

If you choose a buffet for your reception dinner then you would probably be able to get around the deposit, but otherwise for a group as big as yours I would expect any restaurant to be asking for a deposit.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep things loose and easy. Have a nice wedding dinner, but then make the rest loose. Meet up in bars or buffets or at the pool. People can buy their own food and mingle.

I think trying to plan for everyone to be together, all the time is asking for bride spontaneous combustion. :)

I travel with a group, but we sort of ebb and flow as to the numbers of us at any one place. We always have one thing every day that we do together, but otherwise, it's text messages and facebook notes saying "I'm going here!" and people can join or not.

I think with a group that size, you can't possibly have every meal together.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.