1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Eating challenges

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Vegas Insight, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read elsewhere today that Jerry's Nugget has one of those eating challenges: if you can eat their giant prime rib and all the sides in 45 minutes, you get it free, and a T-shirt. Fail and you pay the $40+ for the meal. Not interested. I did my share of overeating at buffets in the past, and while I do eat too much now and then, I have no interest in eating an obscene amount under any circumstance. (I miss my youth.)

That got me to thinking about ridiculous eating challenges. I've seen 'em at restaurants occasionally. If you eat a giant meal, it's free. If you fail, you pay. Usually the T-shirt is part of the bargain. (I seem to recall one at the Sahara involving a giant burrito.)

So, any memorable eating challenges you've come across? Did you attempt one? If so, did you succeed?

I concocted one of my own many years ago. Long ago, chocolate bunnies at Easter were solid as often as they were hollow. After Easter, they were cheap, too. I'm pretty sure the chocolate bunny I bought for 50 cents way back when was two pounds in weight. I brought it to school and decide that my buddy Bob could have it, if he ate the whole thing at lunch. I'm guessing this was 8th or 9th grade. It was a decent size rabbit, and it was solid. Bob thought he could do it. The stakes: if he eats it all, it's free. If he fails, he owes me a buck or two. He didn't get half way before he gave up. I can remember the glassy look in his eyes when he threw in the towel, jackals waiting to pounce on his remnants.

2. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite eating challenge is in the movie The Great Outdoors: The Old '96er

Diablo's has a Death Wings Challenge.

The Pub at Monte Carlo used to have an 8 pound burger challenge. Not sure if it's still offered.

Brand Steakhouse has a 120 oz steak meant for six people. If one person can take it down, it's free. Otherwise it's $250.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my younger years (sigh) my friends and I would occasionally go to this all you can eat sushi place. We would bet who can eat the most pieces of sushi, of which I've never won.

The most I ate was 32 pieces. ( I know, I'm a lightweight...lol!) My friends would eat twice as much. One buddy ate 87 pieces.

We weren't too popular with the restaurant owner.

4. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't a volume of food challenge, more of a spicy food challenge.

I've not tried this, but a friend posted a video of trying to eat death/zombie tacos at GenkiYaki - yelp, a korean/japanese taco place.

The death tacos, zombie tacos (I forget which) are made with ghost chili peppers, which have a Scoville rating of 1 million - jalapenos have a 8,000 rating, by comparison.

If you survive the experience without drinking, then you get your picture on the wall. Very few make it past the first few bites, and the real pain comes later on when the ghost chili pepper sauce is being digested.

You have to sign a waiver before attempting the challenge. The youtubes make it look painful.

5. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This takes me back to my younger years when I was working at a store. A co-worker and I and the department manager, John, was taking lunch break in the office when John mentioned that he was so hungry he could eat a dozen hamburgers. The co-worker and I said no way and challenged him to it. After second thought he said six hamburgers and we still took him up on it.

It was a small bet. We would buy the burgers and if John ate them all he had a free lunch. If he couldn't finish then he would pay us back. These were just ordinary deluxe hamburgers but he was a skinny guy and no heavyweight. As he ate thru the burgers the sweat started showing on his forhead. Then the tie came off and the shirt buttons unbuttoned. This was getting funny. Then the belt got loosened and the shirt came off. We were cracking up! We had to lock the office door so no one would come in and see him half naked!

Each buger took longer and longer to finish. After all of that he finally gave up with just 1/4 of the last burger left. I will never forget this.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adam on "Man vs. Food" took on the giant burrito at Sahara. I don't think he made it. Some please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seem to recall eating a whole mess of Spicy Chicken Wings once to get a free Ball Cap or something.
    My Nieces (both now in their 30's) were little kids back then so I guess I was showing off for them.
    I finished them all and I'm pretty sure I suffered the consequences later! I've never done that again.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Gawd! The smallest cut of prime rib at Jerry's is very generous!

They had a giant hamburger at the Plaza for a while, on a bun about the diameter of a large pizza.

The one that always comes to mind when I think of pig-out challenges is the incredibly huge steak down in Amarillo. (Or as they call it down there, "Amarilla"). :) :) I don't see how any one person could possibly devour, let alone enjoy such a thing!

9. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never done any actual food challenges but my friend and I did have a contest between the two of us to see who could eat the most food. We each had 60 chicken nuggets and 8 corn dogs when we were around 21 and we both gave up because we didn't want to cook anymore food at that point.

10. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, how about the hard boiled egg challenge in Cool Hand Luke?

Challenged a buddy of mine to the Gallon O' Milk game. He had less than 12 oz left in the gallon, with like 10 mins to go. . . .then failed SPECTACULARLY! :vomit:

It's probably small potatoes, but I took down 34 Hooter's wings back around 2003, along with a couple beers and side of fries. Haven't ate there since!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.