1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For the golfers: I am a _______ guy/gal

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ping irons.

I've played most every brand known, unknown and comical at some point, yet I always come back to Ping, and have several times. Next time I switch out the irons I think I'm just gonna stick with 'em.

2. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel likewise about their fairway clubs.

3. Molder66

Molder66 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TailorMade Irons

I started with Ping, flirted with Titleist, jumped quickly to TaylorMade
    used up that set,
    I liked the Pings and decided to bought another set. (use those for my Midwest visitors now)
    I went out two weeks later and picked up another set of TaylorMade.

That was 2 years ago, I may have to go hit some of those RocketBlades this week.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 20+ year old set of Spalding Excels with graphite shafts, a mismatched 4-wood and sand wedge and an Odyssey putter.

An assistant pro told me they were ladies' clubs.

I asked him to hit a 6-iron. He hit it about 200 yards.

I said "Not bad for a ladies club".

He said "I would never own those, they are way too light".

When struck right, they go very high.

I have used this set to make a complete ass out of myself on some of the finer courses around the country.

Question for you: How do you react when a +25 handicapper like myself is in your foursome?

5. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taylor made burners. Cobra big Bertha driver

Nike balls

Budweiser beer ha

6. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    don't play much any more, but i have some LYNX...nothing special...got them hella cheap...had to extend them by 2 inches dues to my height...graduated to those from some old hogan's my father gave me...tough clubs to hit...sweet spot the size of a dime, but when you hit them...it was pretty... :beer::beer::beer:

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just back from Sacramento. We go annually, for my wife's work. My closest golf bud also attends the same conferences, so he and I always plan an afternoon at Haggin Oaks, which is kinda like Disneyland for golfers.

Haggin has one of America's best golf shops and they let you beat anything in the shop. Anything. So Kevin and I always have an iron elimination. We each choose three models giving us six to hit in each round. We each keep the one we like the best, and add two more, or a third on one side if we agree on the "best." And we do this through about four or five rounds or six rounds, revisiting at times.

For three years running I've come back to the same two models, though the name might change: the Ping blades and Cleveland's CG16 Tour/now TT. Kevin did the same the first two years, and this time opted for the new Wilson cavity back forging instead of the Ping S55. I don't know if it's self-concluding habit or just right out legit, but we do hit pretty much everything.

I play the i20s, btw.

8. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a Titleist irons guy. Simple, clean lines at address. Great workability and feel. Don't know that I'd play another brand of irons except maybe giving Mizuno another shot or maybe give Miura a shot. Either way I would still likely end up with Titleist irons.

Same goes for Vokey wedges and Scotty Cameron putter.

Only things I've dabbled and switched fairly regularly is driver and 3 wood although those more often than not end up being Taylor Made in some form.

9. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Currently playing G15 driver and hybrid, i15 irons, Cleveland wedges, odyssey putter. For balls, I get the pro v1x practice balls for about $32 a dozen. Exact same performance as regular pro v1s, but with a slight, cosmetic-only imperfection.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did this a bit back, but since a few are going through the bag …

Cleveland: Driver, 50 and 54 wedges
    PING: Irons, putter
    Vokey: 58 wedge
    Adams: Hybrid (recently reshafted with KBS steel in 3i length)
    TM: 3w (tweaked to 4w)

Sun Mountain bag and Bridgestone B330 Tour balls (quit the Srixon Z Star XV because I yank it back too far).

11. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taylormade.

Got Burner 2.0s and love them. Have had my R7 Driver since it was new. My favorite club though is definitely my Daddy Long Legs. After learning to use it, I haven't three putted at all.

12. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Driver: I am a TaylorMade guy 110%. I've ventured other places, but always come home to TM. I find it impossible to hit a Callaway -- the visuals at address make me laugh when a try a Callaway.

Irons: Was die hard Ping guy....until.....I hit a Titleist AP2 irons. Simply the smoothest, most workable irons I've ever touched.

Note of warning -- don't go and buy the AP2's if you don't know how to get your way around a course in under 75. My higher handicap friends have no love for them.

Odyssey flat sticks are my current love.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is some sweet stuff right there.

14. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesnt matter that much to me

I dont care if you only hit the ball 100 yards ,walk or ride up to it and hit it another 100 yards and just keep moving . If you're a fun person to be around and you know enough not to waste a lot of time screwing around and pick up when you are obviously out of a hole ,I'd have no problem playing with you.
    If you like the feel of your clubs thats all that matters. I know guys who are low handicappers who play with ladies balls in cold weather because of the low compression they work better than a Pro V .

15. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a new "golf nut" only been playing for the past year; but almost everyday weather permitting!

I'm a Cobra gal!

Cobra Amp cell driver and woods sit proudly in my bag. I found after testing numerous clubs they had a great feel; almost effortless. DH got me these for getting my cap under 30 and now working it's way down to 20 :beer: Up until December I was using Taylormade R360 driver and woods; they were ok for learning.

Yonex Irons - DH got an absolute steal on a new set a few years back and I really love them! To think they spent years sitting in my golf bag unused! I like them so much will probably not upgrade until they are worn out.

Adams IDEA 4 hybrid - gift for my first game under 100 :kiss:

Odyssey putter- Was DH's and he had it regripped and fit for me.

Ball - Nike PD Soft

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a set of Cobra 3400 irons with graphite shafts.

A Taylor R7 Driver and Cobra 3 wood. Yesterday bought a Cleveland 20.5 hy brid at Sports Authority close out for $49.95 . Basic Wilson putter I've had for years.Played today to try the new hybrid in 30 mph winds. Club went well when I hit it flush. Was really beat after last night in AC so I only made 16 holes and waved the white flag. Hit the 4 deuces in AC,better than my golf game today.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:

As Jersey's getting at, golf for most of us is a social game. Even all the gobs of round I play solo annually, I have my other Kens with whom to converse and definitely laugh.

The best thing you can do for yourself and any playing partners, something we all should remember, is to just be fun. Don't make excuses for going yard or go off on some long soliloquy as to how you're working on something and it's just not carrying over to the course. Don't get pissed or launch clubs. Do make group-appropriate chatter. Be aware. It's OK to be nervous. Pick up before you reach double digits. Stay sober. And play appropriate/forward tees; there is no shame and it is not rude playing from a different set of tees.

Most players have been there, Breeze. I've played with some tour guys/gals who came across like life-long friends. Some are total and complete assholes. Actually, assholes isn't quite strident enough. Sadly, I've seen plenty of ams doing the latter. Don't be that person.

Ty Webb didn't believe in keeping a score. In some very real sense that was a great approach. And when asked how he measured himself against other players, as he told Judge Smales: "By height."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an equal opportunity golfer. My golf bag is filled with different brands.

Driver - Titleist 913D3
    3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6
    Hybrid - Adams Idea, I forget exactly which model, it's been a bad boy lately and hasn't been taken out much lately
    3 Iron - Mizuno Fli-Hi
    4-PW - Nike CCi Forged
    52* and 58* Vokey wedges

As far as the putter goes, I have a Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport that I've been using for the past five or so years but picked up a Tour Edge putter late last year (same shape as the Odyssey #9 putter) and have had that thing in the bag since I purchased it.

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ping irons and TaylorMade driver, 3 & 5

20. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty immature, but this made me giggle :evillaugh

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.