1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Maggiano's Little Italy vs Battista hole in the wall

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by moefoe81, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to Vegas in June and just wanted to know your opinion on which Italian restaurant would you suggest? I cant find prices online for Maggiano. Battista seems a bit steep but I keep hearing its really good there.

Ernie

2. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't had Maggiano but I've had Battista's about 10 times and have no real problems with it. You'll hear mixed reviews...people either love it or hate it. Prices aren't bad as it includes soup/salad, bread, unlimited house wine, main course, cappuccino (delicious).

I used a coupon there in the past without any issue...maybe 10 or 15% off? I don't remember. In any case, a quick google search gave me this $10 off of $50 or more.
    http://whats-on.com/coupon/battistas-hole-in-the-wall/

You might want to call to verify that they'll accept it...or just take it with you and if they do they do...if not no biggie.

If you want to try another Italian restaurant Bootleggers Bistro is fantastic and not too pricey either (large portions from what I remember but it's been years). It's a short taxi ride south of Mandalay Bay

3. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread will start a war. I always loved Batistta's for the TOTAL experience,( and there is a LOOOOONG BACKSTORY about how some from my club including myself and in the New Haven area got to know about the place) and have had people with me from a few different parts of the country that thought the same. Now THAT said is it the best food wine you ever had( for a FIXED price). NO. Is it old red cloth style YES. Will many think its TOTALLY OUTDATED YES.. Do they have a massive creative menu. NO. But I love the little cubby hole rooms, red sauce joint with the paintings on the wall, the music , Gordy when he was playing from the accordion ( his family had ties to the CT area too!) and again the TOTAL experience. Maggianos was okay... no problems there, would return w/o hesistation.

Now to the other place mentioned by rob889..Bootleggers is very good, open 24/7 ( but a limited menu after midnight or so). But the drawback for some is a bit away from the action ( and I kinda like that).If ya have wheels its not a big deal. I had dinner twice at the bar area which is VERY nice and would return again in a heartbeat.

4. sukiran

sukiran Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to hit Battista's every trip. Especially the dark ``cubby hole'' rooms. The food will not thrill you but the meal and the check will. Gordy is still there. He's from Buffalo, by the way.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eaten once at each of those places in Vegas. And as much as it pains me to say it (I really dislike eating at chains and prefer to sample local/unique restaurants) I preferred Maggianos. I found the service, the food, and the restaurant itself at Battistas totally downmarket. The food was greasy and bland, the service was SUPER slow (and it wasn't that busy) and the entire place with all its tchotchkes on the wall hadn't been cleaned in years.

Maggianos is uniform food at all its locations, but at least there was a little more flavor in it, and the service was speedy (of course, we were in the bar area - very lively & busy but we didn't have to wait for drinks, food, or the check)

In full honesty, I wouldn't actually recommend eating at either of those places......Though I suppose I'm glad I at least tried them once? ;-)

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never eaten at Battista's so I can't give an opinion on it, but I have eaten at Maggiano's many times, and it has always been a great dining experience for me. In fact, I generally go at least once on every trip to Vegas. Is it as good as an authentic Italian restaurant in my hometown of NYC? No. But it is a very pleasant dining experience when you combine the food, view and ambience (the restaurant plays great music by all the legendary crooners).

The prices are very reasonable and the portions are generous. The food has consistently been very good (while it is a chain restaurant it does not have that "chain" feel to it at all). You should make a reservation because it can get quite crowded at times, and try to ask for a seat by the windows in the back room because those views are really nice to dine by.

If you sign up to receive Maggiano's email newsletter at www.maggianos.com they will send you a $10 off coupon a couple of days later. I would do this about a week before you plan to head to Vegas so that there is time for the coupon to make it to your inbox. Oh, and make sure you select the Las Vegas location when you sign up for the newsletter. They will also send you $10 certificates on your birthday and/or anniversary.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a fan of Maggiano's as well... LOVE the view sitting at a window table of Las Vegas Blvd and the Wynn across the street. I don't let the fact that it's part of a chain (OH MY GOD!!!) send me into a tizzy, the food and atmosphere are both very good.

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get off-Strip a short ways, try Nora's on Flamingo. Family atmosphere, food a cut above the usual.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maggiano's is a chain. Even if one does not have a Maggiano's at home they are pretty easy to find when traveling. And that right there should answer that part of the equation.

As for Battista's, the only way to figure out if it's tastefully iconic or Boyardee-ic (and that might just be an insult to ConAgra) is to go for yourself. No other opinion in that regard matters. Hell, at least it's a Vegas institution.

10. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will go on record by saying I was born and raised in an Italian community in Youngstown, Ohio. My family owned an Italian deli/bakery(where I worked for 9 years) and where everything from sauce to wedding soup to sausage was made in house from scratch. I am not an Italian food "expert" but I cooked enough, ate enough, and went to enough food shows and authentic Italian festival to distinguish good Italian from crap Italian. Although my review below was in favor of the restaurant at that time, it still isnt A+ Italian food however it isnt bottom of the barrel either.

Here is the review I left on TripAdvisor this past November for Batistas....

The last time I had eaten here was when I was 16. I thought it was cheesy and dumb. However, on my return 14 years later, I came to appreciate it.

I was lucky to have dinner with 5 friends and 2 parents of a friend. We sat, socialized, had some good food, drank some really terrible terrible wine, and fun was had by all.

I had the lasagna which was typical restaurant quality. Portion was a nice size and I enjoyed it undoubtedly. Soup was solid. Wine was terrible but after 8 small glasses you hardly notice. Cappuccino tasted more like hot chocolate but it was nice having something sweet after dinner. Service was excellent. They were quick and efficient.

11. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a loyal fan of Battista's. It's always our first meal when I travel with a group. My group of 10 guys in March love it, and my group of 5 couples in November love it.

I vote Battista's. :peace:

12. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His family originally was from the Naugatuck area

13. Mayoman

Mayoman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maggiano's has a nice little happy hour, apps and drink specials.

14. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the reviews everyone

Ernie

15. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Joe Vicari's Andiamo Italian Steakhouse at The D downtown... their food and atmosphere is great. Their very interesting menu is online with prices and they have reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor
    ---
    If you don't want to go downtown, Maggiano's is always good.
    ---
    My mouth is watering just thinking about good Italian food... have a great meal whichever you choose!!!

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I said many times, when I'm in Las Vegas, I want something VEGAS. not something I can get in almost any other major city.

Another often overlooked Italian joint is Chicago Joe's near downtown. They keep a very low profile, don't advertise, it's really word of mouth. Very authentic old-school Italian. Very small place, and kind of a dicey area I admit.

17. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though Maggianos is a chain, we don't have them in Canada so go every few trips. The food is much better than Battistas but Battistas is a try once experience. There are better restaurants for Italian in Vegas though...any particular reason for just these two?

18. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 100% - but as there is no Maggiano's close enough to where I live, for me it IS something Vegas lol (same with Hash House A Go Go).

I just thought of another really good Italian restaurant on the Strip that I have eaten at and would recommend: Trevi at Caesars Palace. There is also Rao's at Ceasars Palace, which is very good (fantastic meatballs).

19. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second this post and recommendation. Chicago Joe's is great, it has a good size crowd of people who work the court system a few blocks away during lunch (I've been a few times for lunch but not for dinner). Not very fancy inside, but the food is very good.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in a small town with no national chains to speak of; when Applebee's opened you'd have thought Santa had relocated from the North Pole. But there still is little/no interest for us to hit such places on vacation. Why? I kinda get not "having it local," but then you don't remotely have any Vegas-specific joints local, either. Do people from small-town Iowa go to Red Lobster in Hawaii since they don't have Red Lobster in small-town Iowa, or do they eat Hawaiian?

I'm not jamming the food, per se; OK, Battista's verily sucks. :nworthy: Just the opportunity lost.

+whatever to the Chicago Joe's nod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.