1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Secret Pizza! Pizza Rock

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by johnvic, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally tried Secret Pizza at Cosmo yesterday. I had a mushroom slice and a white slice. The mushroom taste was okay, nothing special. The white was very garlicky and tasty. But both slices were soaked in oil. I could not pick up a slice and eat it like a slice should be eaten. I had to ask for a fork to pick up the soggy bits. In my opinion, crust should be able to support a slice. That's the way I've eaten pizza all my life and I think that's how a NY style slice should be.

The other day I had a slice of NY style pizza at Pizza Rock. It held up when eating it. The taste was good, maybe a hair salty. I'd have to try it again to see if it was too salty. But it was good.

I would try Pizza Rock without a question. I would not try Secret Pizza again, I would walk to Aria and get Five 50 Pizza instead.

2. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tks for the info, I'm already debating what/where to try pizza on my trip to Vegas next month. There's so many pizza places that are new or I haven't tried yet. Have you ever tried naked city pizza? I'm gonna go there again, the pizza was REALLY cheesy but very good.......

3. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely agree with your assessment of Secret Pizza. The most consistent quality pizza we've tried so far has been Five 50. I realize everyone as different tastes, and I look forward to reading about other peoples experiences.

4. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I received a $50 gift card to Pizza Rock by entering a contest on their Facebook page, so it made the decision to try them pretty easy. I'll pass on my thoughts after we get back!

5. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    550 great compared to secret.

Also has anyone tried the 800 degress by Monte Carlo?

6. donof

donof Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from New York, I can tell you that five50 at Aria is horrible. The pizza was dry and lacked oil. So it lacks taste. Pizza is at its best when it is soaked in quality olive oil. That's what makes New York pizza (actually in New York) special.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're soaking the pizza so much that you can't pick up a slice then you're over doing it.

Also a native New Yorker.

8. donof

donof Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why New Yorkers fold slices. You can pick it up and fold, while the oil stays on the pizza and off your clothes lol.

9. 16gauge

16gauge Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that Pizza Rock is by far the best pizza place in Vegas. Not only do they have great pizza's, they have a very extensive beer list as well.

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. The actual crust was soaking wet, you could not fold the slice in half. I don't mean oil on top, I mean the crust. If you like Secret Pizza then I'm happy for you. If I went on the wrong day then that's life. But you can't fold soaking wet crust. Pizza Rock you can fold. Sacco Pizza on 9th avenue you can fold.

11. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret:thumbsup:

12. Nebraska

Nebraska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had Secret Pizza two days and thought it was good, not outstanding, but certainly competent.

Where is Pizza Rock?

The only other slice places I saw were the Pin Up Pizza in PH and Bonnanno's...there was another one in the PH mall though I can't remember the name.

13. 16gauge

16gauge Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza Rock is downtown. It is in the Downtown Grand complex. It is in the same block as Hogs & Heffers and Triple George Grill. Take the pedestrian walkway that is between Binions and Fremont one block north, cross the street, and you are at the door.

14. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had 3 good slices at POP Pizza in the Plaza at different times. But my fourth slice was not that good, it was dry. I enjoy Metro pizza also, and I grew up with NYC pizza and make my own frequently with the limits of a 500 degree oven.:beer:

15. 4dazeoff

4dazeoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta second Pop up Pizza @ the Plaza. Been 5-6 times and never been disappointed! It's not "to die for" but it's pretty darn good! Definitely one of our favorite Vegas pizzas. We still need to try Pizza Rock. Walked by last year but had just eaten somewhere else. Looks good though! Good Luck!:beer:

16. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza Rock is a must-try for pizza lovers. On two trips I've had the Michigan and both were very good. Do not get the Happy Hour pizza. Big drop off in quality from a crafted pie.

Pop-Up Pizza compares well with Pizza Rock. Both are very good with Pop-Up being the place to go if you just want a quick slice or two.

The Miracle Mile Meat Lovers at Chicago Brewing Company (in the 4Q) is excellent too.

17. GMS

GMS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza Rock!

Pizza Rock is very good. I've eaten both sit-down pies and walk-up slices there on 3 different visits and been chewing with a smile every time.

I agree that Secret Pizza is too greasy. It's tasty in a fast food kind of way, but there really isn't a crust to evaluate there.

Grotto at Golden Nugget is OK, but overpriced. (Like everything at GN.)

I haven't yet tasted Pin Up, Pop Up, or Five 50. And I am looking forward to 800 degrees, based on a friend's review of an LA location. So many to try now, which really is a welcome change from back in the day when it was food court Sbarros or the crappy joint inside Four Queens. Yuck.

But Pizza Rock, thumbs up!

18. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from Vegas yesterday where I tried both places.

Cosmo Secret Pizza was very good. The wait in line was incredibly long and they were out of some slices. Had to wait for them to cook up a plain 'ole pepperoni slice pie. Lorde was playing at the Cosmo and there were hundreds of tweens and teen waiting to see the show. Could be why the place was so crowded.

Pizza Rock was excellent and will make it one of my 'must haves' for each Vegas trip in the future. The crust was tasty, not soggy, and folded very nicely in half for easy eating. Thoroughly enjoyed the free slice I won on their bracket contest earlier in the month.

19. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Grimaldi's (been to the original one in NY years ago) at The Palazzo. AWESOME PIZZA!

20. omahatovegas

omahatovegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had Pizza Rock on Thursday night and while the pizza was great, the service was not. They might want to retrain their wait staff to pay more attention to the customers instead of the girls at the front counter. When the pizza was served we had no napkins or utensils, and I had to request a soda refill three times before I got one, and the place wasn't even half full.

Actually, it seems to be a trend I noticed while in Vegas last week. Spotty service at Margaritaville, Pizza Rock, Ellis Island, and a couple buffets. Basic services like utensils, drink refills, and occasional stops to check on the table were for the most part ignored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.