1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Must dial area code after May 3, 2014

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ajonate, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just received a notification in the mail today that Centurylink, the incumbent telephone service provider for the Las Vegas area, will require the area code to be dialed for all calls starting May 3, 2014.

This is being done because they are out of 702 numbers. Starting May 3 they will start handing out 725 numbers for new installations and new cell phone accounts. The new area code will service the same area that 702 has been servicing, and 702 numbers will continue to work. You'll just need to dial the area code, even when you call another 702 number.

Needless to say, if you get a new cell phone it's going to have an area code 725 number.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They can have our two 702 numbers back:evillaugh Six years later, never found a reason to switch to a WI area code and new number.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a bit surprised it took this long. The St. Louis area has two area codes for almost 20 years I think. St. Louis metro is bigger, but Las Vegas isn't exactly a tiny populace.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had that since at least the early '90's.

5. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember the debate about the how and why of area code splitting in the Twin Cities way back when. No matter what you do, there will be a faction that won't like it.

In this day and age I like what it appears Vegas is doing, assigning new codes to new accounts, regardless of geography. The Twin Cities area codes were divided into four regions, and I think the third and fourth region were instituted to get ahead of the necessity of creating them. Back in the 90s it made sense to split area codes by regions, because most people still used land lines and dialing a phone number was a common practice. Nowadays I don't know the phone number of 99 percent of the people I dial, because I either have to look it up or I have it stored in my phone, never to be dialed again.

Like the phone book and the pay phone, the days of needing area codes to represent a geographic region have pretty much gone the way of the floppy disc.

6. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's always a catch! Yeah, we get "Free" local calls included in the resort fee, but we have to dial the area code now :grrr: the horror!!! That's it, I'm never going back :wink2:

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the 20th Century Nevada :)

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually we went thru this once before... prior to like 1997-98 or thereabouts, the whole state was 702 area code. The rest of us took a back seat to Clark County (Las Vegas) and they got to keep 702 and everyone else was switched to 775. Nevada has about 3 million people now and 2 million of them live in Clark County. It's not surprising more numbers are needed.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With so many cell phones and so many disposable cell phones, numbers get recycled a lot faster than they used to. It's not unusual to get a new phone (or a new number) and immediately get calls for the previous number owner(s). Especially collection calls :)

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in san diego and we have a handful of area codes. I have lived here for about 30 years. When I first got here on the Navy base you could just dial the last 5 digits of any number on base and it would connect you. I noticed my home phone had the same prefix so I could even dial my home number that way, just the last 5 digits.

Times have changed for sure.

11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had 10 digit dialing in Central Florida for several years. I think it started in 1999.
    I remember only having to dial 5 digits when I was a kid but that was in another state.

12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope the in-room show "The 725" will air adjacent to "The 702" by the time I return to Vegas.

(Miss the old Convention Center programing with documentaries about the Vegas Mob, Nuclear Blasts, older Hotels and other fun Vegas programing).

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hadn't really thought about it, that there was only one area code in Las Vegas... have to agree with the general sentiment that its a bit surprising its taken this long

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow the DC area, Pennsylvania, and NJ had this ages ago.

I remember the backlash of 410 getting 443, and 301 getting 240, almost entirely from the older crowd. 667 was added to 410 last year.

DC is still 202 only.

15. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More like 15.

PA got it's first split in 94 and Philly got an overlay in 97.

They still mainly represent geo regions. Numbers still come out of local COs. Local Number Portability changes that a bit but there are still restrictions.
    ------------
    As smartone said, the overlay is what is new to Vegas. All of Vegas was 702 till about 1999.

16. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Starts tomorrow...

17. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my sleepy town in California, you have to dial the area code to call across the street, even though the nearest different area is over a 90 minute drive away.

18. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the entire central valley, theres only 3 (916, 209, 559)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.