1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

One and three year old's sailing the Pacific

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are these people nuts? Taking two little tots like this in a sailboat around the world. Saw this on the news this am where the boat was disabled 900 miles out ,the one year old was sick and the Coast Guard had to go out and rescue them. Luckily they werent further out.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were the Captain, I would not have permitted children of that age on a sailing vessel. No accounting for reasons and logic sometimes, I'm afraid.

Adults go missing frequently on gigantic ocean liners. I read a grim statistic once about how many U.S. Navy sailors go missing each year.

There is inherent danger for all while sailing on the briny blue. There are several poor judgments, here, in my opinion.

3. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was also my reaction -- but let me play devil's advocate. Our society has become much more risk averse in the last fifty or hundred years, and that's not necessarily for the good. If the parents went into it blindly, that's foolish. If they knew what they were getting into, then, well...

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took my boys when they were 1 and 3 years old for a week of houseboating (40' boat). They wore life vest that fit them at ALL times when out on the decks of the boat......best vacation we ever did as a family.

5. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dream is when I retire in about 12 years to purchase a catamaran and sail the blue oceans.
    PS I went on a deep sea fishing trip last summer and got sea sick.

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have MANY years of experience on boats........you don't have to wait....contact me if you're really interested.......I have no financial interest in houseboating but more than willing to steer you in the right direction if you are interested in this.....I have done 3 houseboating trips.....I am a NYS certified captain and have over 34 years of boating experience if that helps.....I have a son in the DC area and know you are only 1 day drive from good houseboating area......

PS.........you will NOT get sea sick in the area I will recommend....

7. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they are freakin' nuts. I saw the rescue article on the news tonight along with speculation about who is going to foot the bill. They are coming home to a lot of justified criticism IMHO.

8. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a family sailboat. The Father was the 'Captain'. He should be keel-hauled and given a bill for several thousand $$.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The mother and father have a right to raise their children as they see fit, we have no say, nor should we into the matter. Since they haven't said exactly whats wrong with the kid you guys can save your inquisition for later.

10. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently the child was sick enough to put out a distress call for someone to come save them and since my Tax dollars went in saving them, I have every right.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree, you can dislike what they did, and you can think it's terrible, etc, but the fact is you or anyone else have no say.

12. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These people should be brought up on child endangerment charges, and forced to pay any or all of the costs incurred by the rescue.

Then keel-haul them.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are way over reacting, if the father had say a heart attack or appendicitis, the coast guard would still react the same way, age is not a factor.

Thank god we still live in a world where people can do what they want, and not have to seek permission to take your kid on a 400 mile drive to grandmas house for christmas, cause you might run into a ditch and be in real danger.

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ditto ! ! !

15. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't a 4 hour drive in a car through the countryside to grandma's house....

They were on a sailboat, going around the world, on the OCEAN. With a ONE YEAR OLD and a THREE YEAR OLD.

That is a tough enough feat for seasoned, experienced sailors, let alone 2 parents and 2 toddlers.

While they have the right to do so.....it doesn't make them any less stupid in doing so.

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me, it's the degree of danger.

My Dad,Grandfather and many others going back made their livings on the sea so I learned a respect for it at an early age. I can picture me saying "Hey Pop,I'm taking the family across the pacific on a 36 ft. sailboat".Sure thing.
    My main concern was whether or not that vessel could handle a battering from high seas ,wind etc. I just thought these people should know better.

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you it was not a wise thing to do, but that is only my opinion, they are not my kids and I have no say in the matter. Taking boats across the ocean is risky, taking wagon trains across the west is risky, settling the plains and living out in the middle of nowhere is risky. Taking risks is not a bad thing, actually it's a good thing, most of society seems to have forgotten that.

18. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if house boating is what I am talking about but if that's the terminology I am suppose to be using you already taught me something. I am looking into joining a sailing club to see if this will be an enjoyable experience for me but is house boating the same as sailing around the Caribbean (island hopping) on vacation for 3 to 4 months?

19. Eldon

Eldon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that the parents were properly prepared for the voyage.
    Many others have gone to sea with their children.
    The boat is adequate for the voyage and it is their right.
    People get sick, boats fail, and stuff happens.
    - - - - -
    When I was younger my Mom and Dad (and my high school teachers) didn't have to defend themselves when they whipped me for bad conduct.

When I was younger my Mom and Dad received calls from adults when they observed my bad conduct. No authorities showed up.

Times have changed and I sometimes wonder if it's for the better.

20. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God NO.....think a LOT of small lakes connected together by canals and locks that can be navigated from the Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario) going west to Georgian Bay (Lake Huron).

http://happydayshouseboats.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.