1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Meat Loaf at PH-Dont go...Save the dough

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by rsees, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsees

rsees Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I saw Meat Loaf at the Planet Hollywood on thursday March 13. Save your money and see another show instead. His voice is gone and he cant keep a note. We walked out early disappointed. I saw him 10 years ago and need to keep that memory.

If you saw it let me know your take. I know everyone has an opinion but this was just baaaaaad.

If you were thinking of going trust me dont.

2. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i liked it, worth it for the rocky horror part . would have liked less talking more music other wise it was fine

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha!

I thought you were talking about a meal.

Best meat loaf I've had was at 777 Brew Pub at MSS. Second best was at the cafe at the Palms.

Both were very economical compared to a Meat Loaf performance at PH! Haha!

4. sabre

sabre Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw him about 4 years ago at Mohegan Sun. He was awful, completely out of tune. Damn shame.

5. MrSandsman

MrSandsman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, our soon-to-retire CEO of the Australian Football League recently said that his only regret in his decade in charge of the AFL was inviting Meat Loaf to perform at the half-time show of the AFL Grand Final a few years' back.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw him 30 years ago at the Tower Theater, pretty awesome.

7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw Meat Loaf at PH last month, as described in my (ridiculously long) TR dated March 01. In a nutshell, Ms. Gecko knew his voice had deteriorated long before we attended his show, but she still enjoyed it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw Meatloaf in the mid 90's in Liverpool and his voice was done then! The band were great but we noticed a lot of guitar and drum solos, his daughter sang a couple of songs and his guitarist did a couple of songs too so it was obvious they were trying some damage limitation!
    Recently watched a documentary filmed around 2000 about Bat Out Of Hell and Meatloaf was sitting in a recording studio screeching along to the album very badly out of tune and boasting "Yeah, I still got it!"

9. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is sad as I love Meatloaf. I considered this show when I was in town in October but passed.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad because he had an amazing vocal range in his prime.

11. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

we saw him on feb 20th. our two tickets at tix4tonite were 106 total. as we entered the theatre area, ticket checkers were segregating us by ticket number, with those of us with tickets gotten by exchanging the discount vouchers shunted to the side. after others who had paid full price were seated, we were given new tickets.

we were eight rows back, center! the large guy next to me had the ability to move a seat away, so both of us big guys had room. the people who paid for the tables down front spent a lot of time craning their necks and turning aroung to look up at meat's butt as he came out on the center walkway of the stage.

i was initially mad at the sound men, until i realized they were cranking the guitars and drums higher over meat's voice on purpose. did not realize what was happening until the duets that he did with his two young female backup singers happened, and could hear them just great.

could hear him well when he did his talking segments, and was entertained and informed by a few of the parts. did not realize what some of his hits were, paradise....kind of dominates my thinking of him.

so, i enjoyed the two girls who sang with him a lot, some of his talking parts, and hearing some good songs, if i knew the words it made not really hearing them from him much better.

very glad i did not pay full price.

in the past few years, i have gotten to go to some shows that i could not afford to go to during college!

styx
    gordon lightfoot
    jackson browne
    meatloaf

glad i got to see them all, but was most disappointed by lightfoot, because he insisted on doing all the songs, by himself, though he had 4 very good musicians backing him, there was not a mike in front of any of them. at least meat got some help.

12. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then, obviously I was correct that the meatloaf at the MSS is a better bet! Lol

13. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

From my trip report

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He had some concert on TV a few years back.
    I felt bad for the guy as his voice is shot, but gave him props for doing a concert. I can only image how much worse it is now.

15. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got 2 comped tickets to the show on March 8th. Price would have been $125 each.

I was in my teens when "Bat out of Hell" came out and I absolutely wore the album out. I truly believe Jim Steinman is a brilliant composer and he and Meat were a perfect combination.

This album came out about 40 years ago, and Meat is now in his mid 60's. His vocal style also does not lend itself well to longevity. Also, as other performers have stated (Elton John, Celine, etc), the Desert does things to a singers voice. So yes, unfortunately, his voice is pretty much gone.

The Band - The backing Band, and 2 backup singers are AMAZING! There is a blond, and a black haired singer. Both have bodies that are absolutely 10+ on the Richter scale, and their voices are incredible. They and the band literally carry the show.

Audience Interaction - Meat interacts with the crowd extensively throughout the concert (about 2 hours in length) and also uses an ipad to show pictures of his family, and other things, answers audience questions.

The venue - nice, smallish auditorium with good visibility from virtually all of the seats. We were in the first row in the middle elevated section and could see, hear perfectly.

If you are a meat loaf fan, I do recommend the show, with the caveat that do not expect him to belt out his songs like he once did. But, hearing him perform - "All Revved Up & No Place to Go", Paradise by the dashboard light, I will do anything for love, and Bat out of Hell gave me goosebumps, and as I stated, the band and back up singers are superb.

16. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still would pay to see this show. I feel the same as Mrstealth. We saw him about a year ago, and I enjoyed it thouroughly. I think I would really love this show with all the interaction.

17. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i enjoyed it wish he did more music than talking but a fun nite

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like singers/musicians who make you feel the music, as well as hear it. Always thought he was in that category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.