1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are these the new airport signs to prevent long-hauling?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kickin, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickin

Kickin Flea

There was a thread in the past about the taxi authority working with the airport to post signs of what the approximate fare should be to various strip hotels in order to help prevent long hauling.

I just found these on the taxi authority site and haven't seen them before so I think these must be them, from both T1 and T3:

http://taxi.nv.gov/Rider_Info/Approximate_Minimum_Rates_-_McCarran_Airport_to_Las_Vegas_Strip_Hotels/

Has anyone seen the signs at the airport yet? If these are them I think they are pretty good. I was skeptical at first as to how much help the signage could be but these are pretty clear in showing the difference between the routes, the fares, and the times. I think they are well designed and just need to be prominently placed.

2. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The signs are a good idea. Except...

Where is the direct dispute line?

How many issues will actually be resolved by filing a complaint through an email?

It's absurd. Most people will realize that they have been duped and can't do a thing about it. There will be no restitution given to the people complaining and the cab drivers know that. So long hauling will continue.

Best solution when getting into the cab: I've been to Vegas 5 times. Take me the quickest route to my hotel with no tunnel. 100 percent success rate.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But there is restitution. Don't pay the inflated fare.

When you have been ripped off, give the cabbie the fair amount, notify him or her that you are doing that because you were long hauled, and now you don't need to worry about restitution. I have done this in the past and it has always worked.

If the cabbie complains, I either call over one of the employees of the hotel (who will usually quote the fair price for the trip) and the cabbie backs down. Or I threaten to call the taxicab authority (just put their number in your phone) and the cabbie will back down. They may bitch and moan at you, but what are they going to do if they are in the wrong

I Need Spa
  4. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the savvy VMBers it's easy for us to do.

The majority of long hauling will happen to the infrequent visitor. For them, this resolution process offers nothing. The last thing that a newbie concerns himself/herself with is, whether or not they are going to be hustled along the way to their hotel.

It's human nature to trust. After the fact, is too late.

5. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well at least they made it concise and to the point :rolleyes2:...

Seriously, that sign must have a thousand words on it. I can't imagine anyone slowing down long enough to decipher that complicated mess. My 2¢

6. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing will ever happen after the fact to the driver! Never!! Not ever!!! It will never even be brought up to them by anyone. You have to call the TA on the spot or resolve it yourself with the driver as others have mentioned.

Call and email all you want when you get home your wasting your time.

7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The placement of these is 100% useless in my opinion. They are in the entrance/exit from the airport. Having them on the outside wall while standing in line would have been 100000000X more useful. The ONLY reason I even noticed it because I saw the board on one of my turns in the line and realized it was the sign people were talking about. I couldn't read it from the line though.

8. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with this, in my 40+ trips to Vegas I haven't seen the sign. If they were really interested in the best interest of the consumer they would post the sign at each of the designated waiting stations.

How come Monte Carlo via Paradise is n/a?

9. RDO248

RDO248 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was one on a concrete pillar near the cab line in terminal 3 last time I was there. If the line would have been shorter most people would have missed it as they wouldn‘t have to walk past it.

Vegas Baby!
    Vegas Baby pt2!
  10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'm pretty sure these signs didn't exist until about this year. I saw them in Februrary. It estimated my fare to Mirage was $19.45 via Paradise; it was $19. What's concerning is the pdf that KickinChicken linked does not always highlight the lowest fare for every hotel.

It's n/a because you would have to backtrack if you took Paradise beyond McCarran property. The only opportunities for a through street from Paradise to LV Blvd is at Tropicana and Harmon, and Harmon is too far north for Monte Carlo.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.