1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Poutine in LV? Classic, no fancy stuff

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Persistent Cat, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know if there's anywhere on the Strip or downtown that serves poutine? And not fancy poutine with lobster or duck confit, but fries, cheese curds and brown gravy? Sometimes, when you have a belly full of beer, you really really need poutine.

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never seen it on a menu but yelp says that Public house at the venetian does it..

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just going to say that I thought I saw it on the menu at Public House. :Þ

I didn't try it though, so I can't vouch for it.

My husband has become an aficionado of poutine for some reason. He orders it everywhere he finds it. He used to be afraid of it. :haha:

We were in Vernon, BC on a trip and I was really tired from drinking wine all day. He volunteered to go to the KFC and get us food, but came back empty handed because he was confused by the sides. "What is poutine!?!"

On his 50th, we went to Victoria, BC and the restaurant where we had lunch was serving it and he loved it. Now he can't get enough. I keep telling him it's just french fries and gravy, but he says the curds make the difference. :rolleyes2: Um.. okay.

4. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, you're right about Public House, but I'm afraid it fails Persistent Cat's requirement that it is "...not fancy poutine with lobster or duck confit."

I tried it there, and wasn't impressed. Now it's true this was my first time eating poutine. However, as a native Baltimorean (or should I say Bawlmeron), I'm familiar with the french fries with gravy concept. Cheese curds should make it better still. The problem: there were almost no cheese curds, and even the gravy was in short supply. I've heard others have enjoyed it there, so maybe the cook was just having an off night. Oh yeah, the duck confit was fine.

5. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

ah poutine. have had it once, and not again until i get done with this diet! had seen restaurant signage for it on trips to lethbridge and calgary, but did not know what it was.

on a trip to seattle this january, our daughter took us up into the university district, and from the food truck in seattle of bacon jam fame, took us to one of the skillet locations.

my first time was not the classic, because short ribs were added to the mix. wow, i will have what she's having!

6. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Public House does have it. My buddy swears by it, I for one do not care for it, would much rather have some chili cheese fries or a McDonald's double cheeseburger when drunk. Crazy Canadians, between this and "Canadian Bacon" or what I call ham? lol

7. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol we call it ham too, Americans decided to call it Canadian Bacon.
    Bacon is bacon here, ham is ham. The first time someone asked if I wanted Canadian Bacon I had no clue what it was!!

8. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's weird. I live outside Detroit and in my times in Windsor I've seen "Canadian Bacon" on their menus especially at breakfast.

9. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only seen it in border towns occasionally and the US. Nothing around here says Canadian Bacon. My best guess is it's for the tourists.

10. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought Canadian bacon was back bacon. What's peameal bacon? I hate that stuff (and back bacon if they're different). And I've never seen Canadian bacon written on a menu in Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal.

11. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peameal I think is referred to as back bacon. Like back bacon on a bun at the fairs ...

actually peameal might be back bacon with the cornmeal coating, and the back bacon has no coating maybe?

I believe "Canadian bacon" in the US is the circle ham like they use on egg mcmuffins

12. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :vomit:

Thanks for the info!

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bacon is bacon, Canadian bacon = back bacon (not ham), peameal bacon = back bacon with peameal coating on it, ham = ham

14. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, that's what I thought. Apparently my Google hand is broken.

15. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^THIS IS CORRECT^^ Canadian Bacon is NOT ham nor is it the "Strips", it's Back Bacon!

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never thought of eating poutine in Vegas. But, that's genius. It combines 2 things I love most in the world. You'd think ther's enough transplanted French Canadians to have an authentic poutinerie going. They just need some legit cheese curds.

17. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they call it Canadian bacon in Canada or just bacon?

18. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never seen Canadian bacon on a menu here, in the US Canadian Bacon is ham is it not???

Or is Canadian Bacon in the US peameal with no coating?

19. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure Canadian bacon is an American term for back bacon. I can only speak for my area in British Columbia but we have no Canadian bacon here nor have I seen it in my travels to other Canadian cities. Only time I hear of it is when I'm in the States.

1st photo: In Canada, it's called back bacon (with or without the peameal coating). In the U.S. it's called Canadian bacon.

3rd photo: In Canada, it's called ham. In the U.S., creative menus sometimes refer to this as Canadian bacon as well.

2nd photo: In Canada, it's bacon. In the U.S., it's bacon. Finally something we all agree on! :drunk:

Attached Files:

20. Jake&Avery

Jake&Avery Planning my next vacation!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so at McD's they have the egg McMuffin which has Canadian bacon on it - but its just ham, right?

I always sub "bacon" for the Canadian bacon (ham) :evillaugh

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.