1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Carnevino, Craftsteak, Gordon Ramsay or Cut?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by IowaRyan, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IowaRyan

IowaRyan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assuming price is not a consideration which one to you go to for a good steak dinner with your BIL and why? Leaning towards Cut or Craftsteak just because they’re at hotel we’re staying at. Good bourbon selection a plus. All opinions appreciated. Also, whoever has slowed the rotation of the earth—please stop-these last few weeks are going to crawl.

2. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NOT GR. I repeat, NOT GR. Its average at best!

3. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been to Cut and Carnevino.

Cut, very good steak and sides. Decor is modern.

Carnevino, amazing steak but last time I was there they overcooked it. Sides are amazing. Decor is dark and very steakhouse. Music is Batalli's selection, expect Aerosmith. I didn't like the music a lot but my friend liked it.

4. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of the four you listed I've only been to Gordon Ramsay (twice) and Cut (once). I'm honestly not sure if I could choose a favorite between the two because they were both excellent. If it were me I'd probably go to Cut, but that's simply for the fact that I've only been there once.

5. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Steak, Sides, Dessert, all great at CUT, top that with fantastic service, you got a winner.

I believe most Puck spots try to keep Geo T Stagg and his friends (when available) on the shelf along with a host of other whiskies...

6. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carnevino may be the worse meal I've ever had in Vegas. Do not even think of making the same mistake I made. Only went due to friend having dinner credits at the Palazzo. I will never forgive him till the day I die.

7. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If those are the choices, go with Cut. Our last meal there was flawless.

8. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CUT again. My favorite steak house in Vegas.

9. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should add, I broke a 20 year non-red meat eating stint (don't ask, long story) to having my first steak in that time here at CUT. I haven't looked back...since have been to other fine houses in LV but none compare to CUT (Stripsteak and Jean-Georges have come real close, and Delmonico failed to impress)...

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you mean Cut or Carnevino? Cut is not at the same hotel as Craftsteak.

Anyway, I've eaten at all but Cut (which is on my list for next time) and haven't been disappointed by any of them. So it really comes down to personal choice and atmosphere. I'd be most likely to go back to Gordon Ramsey or to Carnevino, depending on what I felt like.

They have very different atmospheres (only thing I don't like about Gordon Ramsey is the decor and noise ... I wouldn't do it for a special occasion). If you do Carnevino you must have their Mascarpone & Guanciale Mashed Potatoes. If you do Gordon Ramsey, you must have the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert.

11. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My $0.02. I've been to Carnevino twice and loved it both times. First time got one of the off menu dry-aged rib-eye for 2. The second time a strip. Both cooked perfect and service was impeccable.

I've been to Cut once and it was good but not great. Overcooked steak (just on 1 side, so you can tell they screwed up) and the service was not attentive even though it was a slow night in the restaurant.

12. JB in MN

JB in MN Low-Roller

I don't think anyone else in LV offers anything like the Riserva steak at Carnevino which IMO gives it the lead. Even if atmosphere, sides, service are a smidge below the other options, that steak is like nothing else and worth the price.

Riserva at Carnevino. Riserva at Carnevino.

--JB

13. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm I am scheduled for Ramsay tomorrow night. First time was outstanding all around! But maybe I should try a different steakhouse.

How come I can't find carnevino steak menu? I mostly see Italian dishes?

Thanks

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You desire a break today, at McDonalds....LOL...JK

Craftsteak hands down......never had a bad meal there....a bit price but aren't they all now.

Enjoy your meal

15. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a similar experience.
    Horrible,rude servers.
    Poorly prepared food.

Cut or Crafsteak would be my top two.

16. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of those choices, I've only had Craftsteak and it was an amazing meal. For an underrated favorite of mine - Jean Georges Steakhouse at Aria, get the crispy sushi appetizer to start you'll thank me later. :licklips:

17. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cut and Carnevino are solid. Had the worst steak dinner I've ever eaten at Crafsteak and have avoided since.

My favorite remains StripSteak.

18. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had an ok meal at GR. I do think I'll go back just to the bar at get the sticky toffee pudding. My biggest complaint is that certain parts of the service were just very slow. Our drinks took 15+ minutes to get to us. This was also the first place where I was given the tasting menu and then 10 minutes later given the regular menu. Just give me both at the same time.

Once the food started coming though, service was great. It just started out slower than any other places.

Would I go back? Probably, but there are so many others that I would try elsewhere first. From this thread Cut will most likely be the place I go on my next trip.

Sorry one last small rant. As a restaurant if you choose to have part of your menu on something like an iPad, make sure you have plenty of them. GR seems to love these as their drink menu is on an iPad at both the steakhouse and Burgr. While the interface is nice, it felt as though they wanted to take it away as quickly as possible to give to someone else. If you have a ton of good cocktails or beers(Burgr has a ton of great draft beers), I'd like to look over the menu a little more to pick out a 2nd beverage when the time comes. Especially at the steakhouse, the only place where I felt rushed during the entire experience was on our first drink order. We were given the menu and 2 minutes later they came back for the order. Given a good menu and 15 minutes later they were back to take the order.

19. happecamper

happecamper Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Cut and Craftsteak... the domestic wagyu at Cut was close to perfection. Craftsteak was also very good, but not as good as Cut.

20. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at all of those at some point, and my preference would be in the following order -

Cut

When I was staying on the strip, I would eat there at least twice over a 3 weeks trip, and one year went back for a third visit.

Never had a meal that was anything less than excellent, and several friends I have steered towards the place have said that it's the best meal they have ever had.

Ramsay Steak

Ate there after the July 4th UFC a few years back, and they actually allowed us to arrive after 10pm, even though the kitchen was supposed to be closing.

I didn't hold out much hope for the meal, given they were probably looking forward to heading out for the Saturday night party.

I couldn't have been more wrong, because the meal and everything about it was excellent. I will definitely go back at some point, just to try some of the other dishes.

Craftsteak

Only eaten there once back in 2009, but it was a good all around meal, and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

It might seem bad, but the most memorable thing was the Banana Bread, which was to die for!

Carnevino

Ate there in 2011 as a group of 8 and it was probably the most disappointing high end meal I have had. The sides were far better than the steaks and the service wasn't great.

Went back in 2012 and had a better experience, but still doesn't hold a candle to Cut. That said, the sides at Carnevino are excellent, and the pasta dishes are superb.

These threads are always going to cause more confusion than anything, because it's all so subjective, and what one person loves, another will despise.

Still, I suppose it makes for interesting reading, and I nearly always pick up another spot to place on the 'to do' list :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.