1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Question for video poker players

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by cartoonp, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I been playing poker for near on 35 years Diffrent games 5 card stud 7 card stud Horse and other forms . My question on VP is there a book you can buy that will help with plays or do you just play the same way as say NLH I played a few VP but I think my strategy for video poker is Diffrent IE I have 2H 5 H k H kC AC I world hold the 2 kings :eek:

2. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your basic poker instinct are right, however remember your not out to best or bluff another player.
    The sole object is to get a paying hand that pays out against a preset schedule.
    There are different basic strategies for the various games. JOB is probably the most popular,but there are others such BP, DDB and deuces wild.
    The following site will help with the basics and also has a training game for practice.
    Good Luck.

http://wizardofodds.com/

3. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    many thanks :nworthy:

4. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good post by frankr163 that I will add to:

The skills you will need:

The ability to learn the correct way to play each dealt hand, for the version of video poker you enjoy playing, sometimes for thousands of hands per day.
    The ability to find the best paytables for the version that you enjoy.
    The bankroll management skills to weather the (sometimes) long losing stretches between royals or other premium hands. I try to maintain a BR of 3-4 royal amounts (so $3000-4000 for quarters) for JoB and BP.
    The ability to play the comp game smartly, as this adds (sometimes significantly) to your EV.

Good luck in your VP adventures!!

Dave

5. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thank you for advice :nworthy:

6. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in addition to reading up the strategy on wizardofodds I also use the ipad (ipad only-as in not on iPhone, cannot comment on Android) WinPoker app-$10 but i think worth it, for practicing...

It has most (if not all) games, and you can adjust the paytables. very realistic..it will keep stats for you, and you can turn on/off the strategy advisor

7. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a number of free video poker trainers. With a video poker trainer you will get a pop-up of you don't make the best odds hold, recommending the best play. I use Video Poker Coach 2.0 on my PC as a trainer. It's free and I like it.

I have Video Poker Expert for my trainer on my Android phone, but I'm not crazy about it. It's free, but there may be something better out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.