1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shows for the over 70 crowd?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Mamabear0222, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm surprising my mom and taking her to Vegas for her 70th.
    Any advice on shows for the older crowd?
    she is not into Cirque, or Beatles etc

Years ago she saw Legends but I hardly feel that Lady Gaga and Shania are "legends" as listed in the show today.

Someone mentioned Million Dollar Quartet to me which might be right up her alley, she likes the old classics.

Any advise? Thanks

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jubilee is a classic old time Vegas show. Singing, dancing, etc... I didn't care for it but I'm in my 40's plus it's being "retooled". Once the reviews are in on the new show that might be an option. She might enjoy Jersey Boys, I thought that was a great show. Mac King puts on a fun afternoon show at Harrahs, plenty of seniors there.

3. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Jersey Boys or Human Nature? Both fantastic shows with 50s / 60s music.

4. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She'll enjoy Human Nature. Good, wholesome song and dance.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha- I would not equate being 70 with requiring wholesome:evillaugh Of course, I've had bawdy great grandmothers and ex-military grandfathers, so perhaps my experiences are skewed:peace:

However, saying your mother doesn't like Cirque or the Legends is more helpful. If she likes music, those mentioned would be good options (Jersey Boys, Human Touch). What about a comedian? I personally can't believe I haven't seen Carrot Top yet and really need to get on that. My mom (and my & my husband) enjoyed Rita Rudner. But we also love Joan Rivers. My mom would probably love Absinthe. But then, she's "only" 64 and my bawdy great-grandmother was her grandmother :wink2:

6. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my Mom is not wholesome in any way ... she loves a good time and we'll also go see a raunchy comedian I'm sure (thinking maybe Vinnie?)

Just for the show aspect she likes classics ... so thinking something like Million Dollar Quartet. I was going to do Legends but like I said her idea of a Vegas legend is Wayne Newton (who I cant find ANYTHING on him anymore), and Elvis etc ...

7. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, Legends is a waste of money. You will see far better talent with dancing and sets with Vegas! The Show which carries you through the years and is a great experience.

I did see Million Dollar Quartet and enjoyed it, but prefer the Motown sound over country.

Haven't seen Vinnie, but absolutely loved George Wallace.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never got around to seeing Wayne but I would go if he ever performs in town again. I would think he'd still draw people and given his money woes I'm surprised he's not performing somewhere.

9. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got to see him in 2004. He is such a multi-talented showman! But he seriously should have accepted aging rather than all the plastic surgery.

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not give her an actual treat and take her to thunder down under.

Thats entertainment for every age group of ladies!!

Its vegas, not lawrence welk village.

11. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha she's turning 70, not sure I want her to have a heart attack on the strip
    LOL kidding

12. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thunder down under...lol but why not! Anyway...if you are looking for something different I saw a thing for Panda, a show they brought over from China. I think its at the Venetian. Not really sure if that would be something that you are interested in

13. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you will be there the first weekend of the month, I highly recommend going to see Clint Holmes at the Smith Center. The Cabaret Jazz is a beautiful venue, as is the entire Smith Center, and Clint puts on an original show every month. This month, which I am attending, is titled New York My Old Friend - music by the likes of Stephen Sondheim and Cole Porter. In the past he has covered music of Paul Simon, Sammy Davis Jr. and Sinatra. Always entertaining, always different.

You may want to check out the Smith Center schedule for other performers and Broadway musicals that might be appearing during your stay.

We have seen Human Nature 3 times and just love it.

Addendum: a small show you might consider is Remembering Red - A Tribute to Red Skelton. Brian Hoffman will have you almost believing that you are seeing Red. It is an afternoon show performed in an intimate theater in the Westin. KSHP has a sale in progress so you pick up a pair of tickets for only $18. Be aware that the vouchers representing the tickets are mailed out unless you make arrangements to pick-up at their offices and the vouchers expire in 90 days.

Vegas! The Show at Planet Hollywood is another old school type show filled with music and dance. You can pick up 1/2 priced tickets at
    GoldStar or tickets4tonight.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You hit the nail on the head! I took my mother to Las Vegas for her 80th. She partied me under the table. She died at 94 and while taking care of her stuff I discovered that her girlfriends hired her a mail stripper (Photos!) when she got back from Las Vegas.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too funny typo - anyone else have a vision of Cliff Clavin doing a pole dance??:evillaugh

[​IMG]

16. MTROH

MTROH Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big Elvis at Harrahs, afternoon free show.

17. Birdawg

Birdawg Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about the Rat Pack is Back. I believe they are currently at the Rio. I've seen the show a few times and always enjoyed it. Always wished I could have seen them in person.

18. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vinnie is rude and crude, but super funny. He uses the audience as his target for humor.
    How about Donny & Marie? I haven't seen it yet but have heard good things For an afternoon show, how about Big Elvis at Harrah's?
    Another one I have not seen, but have good reviews (from elders) is Gordie Brown downtown.

Just some mere suggestions.....:beer:

19. Mamabear0222

Mamabear0222 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    I have a few shows now to narrow down .. you've all been super helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.