1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

El Cortez Room Capacity

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by ahoang515, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahoang515

ahoang515 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

I heard the El Cortez has a security guard on their elevators pretty much 24/7. Does anyone who has been there recently know if the hotel itself is a huge stickler for their room capacities? I'm trying to stick about 7 people in one room for our EDC trip.

Thanks!

2. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think they pay much attention as long as you don't announce it. Or ask. Once you check in they don't really keep track of who's in the room. Just tip housekeeping and you should be fine.

3. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    7 people is a tremendous number, but they have bigger security concerns at the Cortez than how many people are in each room.

The security guys are more concerned with bad actors trying to break into the rooms. The surrounding neighborhood of the property, most certainly is not one of the safer areas of the city. Lots of drug activity about, and homeless people.

If you keep the noise down, don't be slamming the doors every time you guys go in and out, you'll 'probably' get away with it.

It's your room, you can have people "visiting" you there during your stay if you wish.

4. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the area around the El Cortez still bad? I thought it had gotten a lot better since the Zappos people moved in.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't heard of any problems with people breaking into rooms, especially since they secured the tower elevators (either a guard or you need a pass key to go up the elevator or press a floor number).

The other rooms (vintage and pavilion) will NOT be able to handle 7 people IMHO. Just too small for it. The tower rooms can handle a large group and the upgraded rooms at the Cabana suites might handle a large group but the cabana suites might be more obvious with 7 people.

I'm not sure how obvious it will be to have 7 people stay in a tower room, probably best to bring them up in smaller groups IMHO.

I think the negative comments is just one person's opinion. Others feel perfectly safe in the area, especially since there are El Cortez guards at the front entrance, entrance to the parking lot and at the Cabana suites. Be aware that it gets noisy in the area due to the clubs and other activities going on. Some people complain about the noise (boom boom of music till late at night) but I would assume that 7 people means a younger group so probably won't mind the loud noise in the area.

Usually security will shoo away the homeless or drug activities on the block although you may encounter homeless or panhandlers on the walk to the FSE.

6. downtowndonna

downtowndonna Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a tower room

I stayed there last August. There weren't any guards to get in the tower room I had. It was very large too with 2 queen beds and a sitting area with a view of the strip. I actually rode in the elevator with Jackie Gaughan, who owned the place, and the current owners let him stay there.Although very frail, he was very friendly. I just heard he passed last week. rip.

I wouldn't worry about it if you ask for the Tower. (they are the nicest too) The beds were good, and they only charged me 18 a day, and don't forget to go to their restaurant, they give you a coupon for 1/2 off. coffee shop has 1/2lb burger and beer for $5 too

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I have wandered all over Ogden, Fremont St, and Fremont St. East etc sometimes til 2 and 3 am alone since 1997 and never felt threatened or uncomfortable. There are fewer panhandlers in the area of the EC now than back then. Buying the land and putting in the entrance onto LV Blvd was a good move, and there is usually security there. With the Downtown Grand, Pizza Rock, etc. Ogden street has never looked better. I have stayed at the EC 4 or 5 times now including the last 2 years and have never seen security in front of or in the elevators, or people wandering the halls.

I don't understand this perception of the area being so dangerous. There is drug activity everywhere, and I have seen an increasing number of panhandlers, beggers and rude people on the Strip, as well as drunks sleeping at the bus stops not to mention drive by shootings. One should always be aware of the surroundings, but the development of downtown LV and Fremont St East is a good and positive thing. I am happy to see it busy, growing and viable with new businesses, and opportunity.

Jimbo338

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the time there are no guards. You cant ride up the elevator without a room key, so there is no need for it. Honestly if you are going to sneak in 7 people, you need 2 rooms.

9. El Cortez from ND

El Cortez from ND Low-Roller

Really, between the 7 of you, you can't pony up enough money to get another room @ the ElCo? That's being TOO cheap, IMHO.

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, $30 split between a few people can make or break ya :rolleyes2:

11. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where does that come from? I have stayed a few times and never a problem.

12. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally find the area to be pretty safe. Common sense rules apply wherever you go, of course. But there is more security and now, more police, than most other places in the country. And more than in times past on Fremont.

Always pays to be careful but you should be fine there.

13. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of times when I hear people saying how bad the area is, I think they must be going off the old reputation? I keep hearing and reading to the contrary. It's been awhile since I was in town and stopping at the El Cortez is a must stop for me this trip.

14. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

meanwhile back in 1995...

15. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crime index rates in the City of Las Vegas rank 14, with 100 being the safest index number.

Explained this statistically indicates the City of Las Vegas is safer than 14% of the cities in the U.S.

Make your own conclusions.

Got these stats at this site called "Neighborhood Scout".

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nv/las-vegas/crime/

16. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was downtown last week and I'll go by what I saw as a visitor. I was out and about on Fremont from the plaza down to the Container park and its vastly improved over the last few years.
    I saw no drug deals going down. the vast majority of the homeless were begging under the canopy - its a current trend. Didn't see anyone being harassed.

heard sirens once - and that was a fire engine.

my friend said he saw a couple of fights kicking off on st paddys day at about midnight.

Its fine.

17. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually no guard , but room key is required to access tower rooms third floor and higher. Get a room on two and no key required, you can also use stairs behind lobby bar. Or dare the patio rooms, frankly a room filled with seven dudes doesn't deserve to be inside.

18. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Would be awesome if that were the standard vintage suite rooms but they are not. Not sure but I think the room in the video is on the 3rd floor. The regular rooms that most of us get are on the 2nd floor and are much smaller. There aren't many rooms on the 3rd floor but I did hear that they are nice. My only problem is that you need to take the stairs to get to the 3rd floor rooms. I usually have a heavy suitcase and in June will have my bowling bag with me so it will be a pain to lug it up and down to the 3rd floor. If you stay on the 2nd floor there is an entrance to the parking structure that has a short flight of stairs to go up and down to.

probably best to be forewarned that downtown las vegas can be dangerous so buyer beware. Most of us don't have any problems even in the El Cortez area but it is always best to be aware of your surroundings.

20. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If ahoang515 comes back to check on his thread... we may find out if he is young and spry and can leap up all those stairs.

I didn't know they don't have an elevator.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.