1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fight weekend what to expect

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by chefshaun, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefshaun

chefshaun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we booked our trip I checked the event and conventions calendar. Nothing was happening but now the Pacquiao-Bradley fight is scheduled. Is it going to be extremely busy? We're checking into Aria on Saturday and leaving Tuesday. Will there be no chance of getting an upgrade? Rooms are already going for twice as much as what we booked them for.

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be more than busy. Fight nights are huge draws, not to mention you may have some holdovers from the National Association of Broadcasters convention (96,000 attendees) that ends 2 days before you get there. Fight weeks are really fun, IMO. I like to party and it makes Vegas an even bigger party place. Biggest difference you will see is that most minimums on fight night will be $25 plus with places like MGM, Aria, Bellagio, Cosmo more like $50 plus. Also, with a Saturday check in on fight weekend, I would say upgrade is about impossible unless you pay for it.

3. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wifey and i are also there for pacman vs bradley 2.
    i missed out early on the aria offer and had to settle for TI for friday and saturday. we then have 3 comped nights at the mgm.
    our first las vegas live fight night. :) i want to see pacman live before he retires.

i dont know what to expect.

however, still A LOT of tickets left.

4. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Expect to never get a taxi or restaurant rez. Expect loud drunks everywhere any time of the day or night. Been there, done that. Never again.

5. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at MGM the weekend before the Mayweather fight (in Sept?) When we were leaving Tuesday morning, the MGM lobby was already an absolute zoo. One of the bartenders said they were going from 40% occupancy to being completely sold out by Tuesday night. Definitely glad I got out of town when I did.... I'm sure it can be a lot of fun but way too many people for my liking.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thoughts exactly. It's been quite a few years since we were in town on a fight night but the time we were, there was a lot of gang banger wanna be's in town. Maybe that's changed....:rolleyes2:

7. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going to be in Vegas on the 12th :( I hope it's not too bad. We are staying at bally's that weekend. My husband does not so well with huge loud crowds. (Combat ptsd) hopefully Paris & Ballys won't be too bad and we can just stick around there during the weekend

8. tkriger

tkriger Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there April 11-14th, got a random offer from Cosmo for a 1 bedroom terrace. Was hoping to play there that weekend, but not for $50 minimums.

Maybe I'll go downtown or off-strip for Saturday - hopefully those won't be as crowded.

9. bridaman

bridaman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother and I also arrive on the 12th leave the 16th. We are staying at the Luxor but plan on going off strip Saturday during the day. We have a show Saturday Night so hopefully it wont be so bad since it will be competing with the fight. Hopefully by Sunday or Monday the table limits will go down for us low rollers......

10. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be in Vegas that weekend at the Mirage. I did notice that the airfare and room rates were higher than normal. Approximately $550 for the flight and approximately $150/night (including resort fees) for Friday and Saturday night, Thursday night was comped. I would normally pay closer to $400 for the flight and less than $100/night for Friday and Saturday night.

I have been in town for MMA events and didn't really notice a big difference in the crowds, but I did notice an increase in the gang banger crowd near the MGM Grand. I'm hoping the crowds and table limits down the other end of the strip won't be too much of an issue. We'll see.

My Longest Trip Ever
  11. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what about downtown?? Will it be busier or just on the strip?

12. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just make sure you allow for a slow go getting to your show. Traffic will be terrible and you don't want to miss your show coming from off strip.

13. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The crowds will likely be a little thinner but the table limits will likely be similar, its a huge money grab on fight nights because for the most part the people who attend those things are doing well financially, also keeps out the *********.

I'd say anyone that does not like or cannot handle crowds or is looking for lower limits should definitely head off strip or downtown on Saturday. Anywhere from Mandalay to Encore is gonna be pretty well packed and hard pressed for any minimums less than $25 with maybe a few $15 if you are lucky.

Unless however the fight doesn't sell out, which it hasn't yet but they still have almost a month. *Fingers crossed* for all you traveling that weekend.

14. bridaman

bridaman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luckily we are attending Carrot Top that evening and we are staying at the Luxor so we should be okay. A little bummed about the high table limits that evening but will make for interesting stroll on the strip as I love to people watch and the drunkards :beer: (myself included) will be out in force I am sure.

15. sirdeez

sirdeez Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For Pac - Bradley it will not be THAT bad... yes it will be busy but it's not going to be intolerable. I never even notice the difference for most of them and I go to almost all of them.

Now Hatton - Mayweather... NOTHING will ever compare to that.

16. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah but you said you'd be going off strip during the day, so just make sure you give yourself enough time to get back to the Luxor with traffic and all.

17. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet that was nuts the GOAT plus Hatton is a stud.

18. luci5

luci5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were actually staying at the MGM that weekend even though we weren't there for the fight. We spoke to Hatton's Dad in the elevator.

That was before the MGM twigged that they always had a fight the first weekend in May and I got a really low rate booking 7 months ahead before the fight was announced. They must have cottoned on as, for the past 3 years, the rates for that weekend are always high even before a fight is announced.

There is always a fight on the first weekend we are there as we go the same 2 weeks every year. Yes it is crazy busy, especially south strip, but it is a great atmosphere. To avoid the crowds we head north on the Saturday night.

19. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It hasn't. The closer you are to MGM, the more noticeable it is.

The people actually attending the fight are most often staying at mlife props so the overcrowded restaurants and jacked up table limits are less extreme elsewhere.

20. VegasRandy

VegasRandy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can expect a lot of women of the night.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.