1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Virgin cancels my return!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by fenway68, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always book the non stop 225p flight back to JFK (NY) as this works out as the best itinerary for my and whomevr I travel with. No red-ye, no rush to the airport in the morning, a little more time to play before I go...

Now, I was just informed that (80 days before the flight) that they moved the entire flight to 9:40 pm...with an arrival in NY the next day at 545am...

I spent years taking the red-eye back to maximize the "vegas time", but am getting a bit old for that...(don't sleep well on the plane)

I called, the only option is to re-book for free on a connection that leaves at 11:15am and arrives after a connection at 11:35pm..9 plus hours...vs the 5 hour usual flight....

No compensation other than a $25 credit to my FF account for upgrade, baggage or future flight...tried to weasel a free upgrade, but no dice...

ugh...

apparently they cancelled that flight for the entire month of June..
    have the same itinerary booked for October, hope they don't cancel that one.

sorry had to rant...

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's HORRIBLE! Can you possibly get a full refund for the entire ticket (I would think so) and rebook something more suitable with another carrier?

3. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I have that recourse in this instance, its not as if there are no other flights that day...I have options, just not desirable ones...

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to make sure. At least on Delta, if the flight times are changed more than a couple hours, they give you the option of cancelling or rebooking.

5. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I will check. But only if I can find a comparably priced flight.

6. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would assume with a change over 6hr, you should be able to get a refund, even on a non refundable ticket. (i can't seem to find anything in writing on the virgin american site though).. Jetblue has multiple non-stops most days to jfk

7. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with others that you should be able to get a refund. I've had this happen one other time but it was really to my advantage (gave us a few more hours in Mexico which was ok with us). I did question at the time however what would happen if we had to be back at a specific time.

Sorry, kind of a sucky situation especially since it will cost you Vegas time.

8. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well, we decided to take the later flight. Vegas time gained!! No other comparable itinerary that is priced at or lower than what we paid.

1. Extra time in LV
    2. The red eye is a 5.5 h trip
    3. The earlier re-book is a 9 1/2 hour trip with a connection. Even tho we get back the same night it just didn't seem worth it to sacrifice vegas time, and connections are always risky.

I got Virgin to comp me $25 to my "account" for a future trip/upgrade/ or baggage.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to do the redeye all the time. Arrive back about 6 AM, hop into bed and then head to work at 2 PM. We both felt like crap at work, but at least we got paid and saved one day of vacation time. We worked at the same place.

Maybe, one time only we would do it again, like for a $800 bump, but it messes you up for at least a full day.

10. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fenway68: Thanks for letting us know how things ended up, and good luck with your October plans.

I've taken plenty of redeyes, but try my best to avoid them unless there's a huge difference in fares. And since most of my Vegas trips are a week or longer, I don't mind leaving early. Actually, I don't even mind redeyes all that much, as long as I don't have anything to do the next day and if I still have a room prior to leaving for the airport. A few hours R&R does wonders, but if I have to checkout at noon and am "homeless" until flight time, I start resembling the walking dead. Have a great trip!

11. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same happened for us, same flight change. We checked and you can get a refund for the VA flight if you want, or just a refund for the leg and book a one way on Delta.

12. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Rebook the leg. Never thought about that. Thanks for the tip.

13. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

$156 refund, if I want it...

Jet blue has a similar nonstop but currently it is $266 plus tax/fees

I will keep looking

14. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

By the way. Did you get any answer as to why they shut down that whole flight for the month of June?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.