1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Room keys and stuff

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by soled905, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got a quick question for something I haven't dealt with before. I've been coming to Vegas for almost 20 years, but every time it's been with the wife and daughter.

This time I booked a comped room at the Mirage for March Madness that I was gonna share with a couple buddies, but now one of my friend's wife is coming along(yeah, I know it's gonna be crowded, but the room rates are ridiculous these days, so we're gonna put on our best camping faces and squeeze in).

Anyway, I haven't experienced it first hand, but I've read on here over the years that some of the hotels will charge more if you are bringing in extra people. I'm wondering if having the room comped will keep them from caring whether we have 4 adults and ask for 4 room keys, and of course have 4 adult's names on the register? Or if I should just pretend we only have a couple of folks in there and either share the keys or try to get a couple extra later on? Or some other solution?

Anyone experience this?

2. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't tell them and ask for 4 room keys, if they ask why just say you are worried about losing them, but I have done the same during my college days and a second glance has never been given.

Good luck squeezing in 4 adults into one room, why not just split the cost of another room between the four of you?

3. aashleyjc

aashleyjc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You shouldn't have a problem getting the keys, but I would seriously consider adding another room. If the room is comped, I would tell your buddies they need to kick in for their own room. Call your host and see what they can offer you.

4. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like I said, the room rates for these MM days are ridiculous. A regular room is over $300/night for a couple of the nights. I did call a few weeks ago and they would not give me any discount for a second room due to the extreme demand of MM on those dates.

I have no problem making an exception to save my buddies what will be $1000 after resort fees and taxes and stuff. We're firemen(and I'm a former Marine), so we're all used to cramped living quarters. On top of that we won't be in the room much. I'm guessing we'll be getting about 4 hours sleep a night. The squeeze won't be an issue. None of us would have a problem even sleeping on the floor if it comes to that.

On just asking for 4 keys, I was thinking of that because we've done that before when taking a friend with my daughter. In those cases, though, they've always asked for names of each. I guess that's my greater concern.

5. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just ask for 4 keys. They shouldn't care. If they ask, just say you want extra keys for another party you are traveling with.

6. AOchoa95

AOchoa95 Low-Roller

I've always asked for three, then get another one at a different time. Did last time with my three boys, and one room. It was crazy but fun to be with my boys. Last time we did it, was a Disneyland trip. About to do it again, in June.

7. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Register one additional person on the room and ask for 4 keys. It's very common for each registered guest to have 2 keys so 4 keys in total won't be a problem.

Cheers.

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sleeping will be the least of your worries. 4 people trying to shit and shower in 1 bathroom is where the fun begins!

I was going to say the exact same thing.

9. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sure hope this doesn't sound snippy, but I've been going to Vegas for nearly a couple decades enough times with 4 of us in one room(my wife, daughter and one of her friends), with all three of them being females who take up much more bathroom time than 2 guys and a gal. And many of the fire stations I've worked at over the years also have only had a single shower for 4-8 guys who sometimes take 2 showers a day due to working out and getting filthy at fires. So trust me I have lots of daily life experience with living like this and I'm sure I can deal with it once again for 3 short days. It's just a little time management juggling thing. I's not the perfect vacation, but it sounds worse than it is.

I appreciate all the informative responses, and I'll take yours and the chitown's advice and just book one other in the party and ask for 2 keys each. Sounds like good advice.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Help me here. Gonna be two guys, plus another guy with wife. Just double checking.

You can get 2 keys to start.

Then stop at desk and get another two. Or if wife is always going to be with hubby, no need for another key.

People do this, or something similar day in and day out.

11. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I have my key replaced after it has quit working, my husband's doesn't work anymore. We usually have to go get them both replaced.

They really shouldn't care about extra folks in the room. Those folks are going to spend $$$.

Will they charge more if you get a cot?

12. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to tell them NOT to change the code, but to add keys.

They have that option so that other keys keep working and your roommate does not get locked out.

13. herder

herder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't know they would give out more keys. An extra key would be handy but just thought they might think We are trying to have more then 2 people in the room.

14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in my college days I put multiple people in a single room all the time. Definitely just ask for extra keys and don't put four people on the register -- even when I'm solo I ask for 2-3 keys (because I lose them) and nobody bats an eye, but having four names on the room will almost certainly lead to an extra charge.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People do this all the time.

Keys get lost, left in room, left in car, etc.

Desk clerks really do not care.

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just go check-in yourself, or bring one friend, have your friends sit with the luggage. That's what I do when I'm cramming a bunch of people in my room haha. Then you can add that guy to the room but don't add the other 2 people.

Also do you really need a million keys? Won't you all be together?

17. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I didn't think I gave that impression, but we don't need a million keys. But we need 4 because we won't be together 24/7 and we can't predict when someone needs to run to the room to get something or whatever.

No one will be checking in with me, so there won't be a need for shuffling anyone around for that.

Like I said, though, there's been good advice here that I'll follow, so thanks everyone.

18. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good suggestion.

OP, it's not a bad idea to have a second person on the register. If someone's key becomes deactivated like mine has, at least they can show I.d. and get back into the room without hunting you down.

19. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just one thing to bear in mind. If a person who is not named on the room gets locked out because they lose the key or it doesn't work and they can't get hold of someone who is named on the room they will not get back in that room. I had this once when I booked for two but they didn't have the second name. It took her hours to find me so she could get in the room when her key didn't work.

20. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make it work

You guys do it the way you want to:beer:. To the original question make a call to see how much additional guests are. If you find the price agreeable, pay it then ask for room keys, towels even a rollaway cot to make the situation more comfortable.

I say you have to pay the cost to be the boss. This is one of the times you chose not to be the boss. :peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.