1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hunter Mahan

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by zamboni, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking this is the year he wins a major. Next time I am in Vegas I am throwing a $20 on every major with him as a winner. Gotta hit one I am thinking.

Ryan Moore is another one I think has a major in him in the next couple years, but Mahan will do it this year. I have a feelin'

2. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The names have changed a lot. I had to see what sport he was in. I would have bet NASCAR. Wrong again. I'm getting really old. :cry:

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't feel bad... that was my guess too!

4. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a good run with Hunter - putting $20 down a few years ago - he won on a 75 - 1 long shot (yes, actually was that) and put $1500 in my pocket.

I also used to bet for Ryan Moore - still haven't been lucky with a win, however, still feel he is always in the running on tough courses (with that funny swing).

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all the Golf Boys group, Hunter will be the next to win a major. It's a lock, and I truly think this is the year. Not sure if Bubba will ever win another, and Ricky will eventually, will just be a few years. He is literally still a kid. Ben Crane is good, not win a major good.

Ryan is always a decent pick to win the Shriners in Vegas, but I think he lives on TPC and plays it all the time, so that really helps. He won it 2 years ago and always seems to be in contention. I predict within 3 seasons he will have a major under his belt.

6. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Vegas next wknd. I might make that bet.

7. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Vegas next wknd. I might make that bet.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golf's a bizarre thing. Ben Curtis? Todd Hamilton? Andy North x 2?

For the younger set, I still go to DJ. He's an airhead at times but that might also be what gives him the ability to shrug off the mental pingpong that plagues many in the big ones.

Fowler's doing the right thing going with Butch Harmon. I remember watching him on the range in Murrieta when he was a sprout, swinging this big driver almost on a flat plane and just having a lash at it.

Now if Mahan had a set of hands, look out. But if we're playing that silly game that the silly talking heads on TV like to play, gotta consider him and DJ the best we have in that age cohort on either side of 30.

Let's keep an eye on Reed.

P.S. I love Ryan Moore's shoes. Great kicks.

9. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we're talking the best players 35 or younger without a major here's my list:

Dustin Johnson
    Matt Kuchar
    Jason Day
    Hunter Mahan
    Jordan Spieth
    Brandt Snedeker

I'd put them roughly in that order right now. Of those listed, I think DJ, Day, and Spieth will all win multiple majors in their careers. DJ should have two already if not for a collapse on Sunday and a stupid rule regarding the "bunker" at WS. Not sure if Spieth will take one down this year, but I think he's better than any player has been at his age, including Rory and maybe even Tiger.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty damn good list.

Know there's the usual majors hook going on in this thread, but sometimes when we rank players we often give too much credence to the Big 4 too early. Absent a body of work, an entire career, while a guy is still young and active, what's "better," a major and maybe another win or six, eight wins sans a major?

I'd certainly like to say I'd won the Open Championship over the John Deere, but would I choose to be Keegan Bradley or Webb Simpson right now, or DJ … or maybe Kooch?

Reed belongs on the list. We have to see that he doesn't go all Robert Gamez, but in snapshot, I'd say he's the best of the truly young guns right now (guys of a younger age and who haven't been out there for four or five years) and ahead of some of the more "established" guys. He and Spieth appear to have well-focused 'tude. That's good stuff.

11. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reed has a bright future, that's for sure. Hunter should have won the Caddy but finding the water yesterday killed him. Dufner might have a couple more in him as well.

12. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Koooootch is the old man in that group, and he has been on my list to win a major for awhile.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Kooch's storyline. Can't miss kid who didn't miss, then he did. He went back to the minors, didn't piss and bitch and moan, got it back together, and has been on a very nice curve since returning.

And he's not an a-hole; meaning he's no Zach Johnson.

14. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sold on Reed. I've seen all three of his wins, and he's faded into a win in two of the three. In both the Humana and this weekend, as soon as the field starts getting close he gets rattled. Luckily for him he's had a big enough lead in both to hold on. If Watson, Donaldson, or DJ had gotten to within two shots when Reed was in the early part of the back 9 he would have folded. You could see it once his 4 shot lead had faded to two, however, at that point he only had a few holes left to hold on.

A win is a win, but until I see him put together an impressive finish I'm not sold.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say the Humana would be more of a "warning shot" given the ease of the Palmer Course. But the kid still hasn't done a Norman-to-Faldo. And getting out front on a course like the trumped up new Doral to be able to squander a couple …

I'm certainly not ready to open the gates in St. Augustine for the kid, but I'll still give him just props for three wins in eight months -- including an overhyped WGC -- as the Top Whatever haven't exactly matched the tally, whether sprinting away or falling back.

I like how he played 18.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would take the field bet over Hunter.

17. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 guy vs what, 100 guys? Yes that's a common sense bet. I just stated that this will be the year I think he will win a major. He has played solidly the past year, and will break through this year.

18. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet Hunter in last years Masters. He shot an 80 something.
    I was on the range behind Ricky at the Plantation when he was just starting at OSU. How does such a small guy hit it so far? And farther yet with Butch.
    I'll go with Kooch at Augusta, which means he'll miss the cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.