1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shoulda bought the damn Panasonic

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I've price-shopped myself into the gulag, and Panasonic's no-longer-made plasmas are all but gone at anything approaching a good price.

Anyone have experience with Samsung's PNF8500 series? The reviews are good.

TYIA

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have two Samsungs and love them both.

Superb picture quality. Audio could be a little better, but maybe I'm getting hard of hearing.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LCD or plasma? (I have a Samy LCD in my office and it's great.)

Speaking of sound, I gotta re-calibrate the receiver, we have a big standing wave when it comes to dialogue.

4. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a Samsung (UN55C7000WF) and we love it. It takes people a while to unjust to the picture because they aren't used to seeing such a clear and crisp picture.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Jerry. Other option is the UN65F8000, if we decide to go with LCD, but I just can't seem to shake the plasma tic.

6. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

No problem, Mine is a 3D LED. I never did get into plasma. But have had LCD (and actually still have a Sony LCD), but to me, this LED picture blows anything I have ever seen out of the water.

7. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,
    After reading reviews and price points...
    The wife and I decided on a 50" LCD Sceptre, from Walmart for $400.
    We've put it up against a Samsung and LG 50" (playing a blue-ray on a ps3) and you literally can't tell any differences in picture quality.
    For the price, its unbeatable

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's an LED, Jerry, sorry. Just still kinda call 'em all LCDs since that's mostly what they are. Don't care about 3D here (or at least not yet), but won't kick it to the curb at a Ben or two if the set is superior. Was looking a model or two down the Samy LCD/LED line from where you are and the blacks just aren't there. That's what sent me back around again after the Panys disappeared. Was at Magnolia and saw one like yours and the Samy plasma and definitely shifted.

Thanks, Tim. Too small for us and we have a very light-difficult room we're dealing with.

9. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you mean. I have a 5 year old Panasonic plasma and I considered buying a new one when Panasonic made the announcement. But the screen is still so sharp on my current tv that I couldn't justify pulling the trigger. So, I'm stuck with my old 50-52" plasma until it dies.

I guess I'll be happy until then.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drag.

A bud just found a 50 or 55, ST or VT, can't remember which, he's stoked. They're still a few around in that size it seems.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then you'll definitely need a back-lit LED TV...forget plasma.

12. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was fortunate to snag one of the last Panasonic plasmas in SLC a month ago at RC Willey's. It's the VIERA TC-P55ST60 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV. The store was closing them out for $1,200. It's my first web-enabled/Wi-Fi capable TV and it rocks.

I'm hooked on plasmas too. It's the contrast ratios, brightness and ability to display the truest blacks. I had read about plasmas dying and how Panasonic was pulling the plug. Wasn't really ready for a new set - but figured I'd better move on it.

According to pricegrabber, Sears still has 'em for $1,350.

Bill

13. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe take a look at the Sharp Aquos LED's... we have a 60 inch and that thing blows our Samsung LCD out of the water. We had had it for a couple years and continue to be impressed. A good friend just bought a newer model 60 inch and it appears to have only gotten better IMHO. Bought ours at Sears and they threw in a free blu-ray player also. :beer:

14. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Ken
    Can I bother you to tell me what this is about? Is Panasonic no longer making plasma? I have a 60" Panasonic and we are very happy with it and bought another smaller one for the bedroom.
    Thanks for any info regarding this.

15. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely love my Panasonic plasma. I've not been a fan of the LCD?LEDs without the ability to have those blacks be true.

I have a Samsung plasma too, while it is acceptable, it is a step down from my Panasonic.

My 50" Panasonic was put into service in 2009. Hope it lasts a while longer. Not in the mood to replace it.

16. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you considered Vizio? They have some new ones for 2014 on their website. They are called full array backlit. I've had my Vizio four years now I and I think the picture is great. I think you can get a 60" for under $1000.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Panasonic is no longer making plasmas effective. What's in (limited) inventory now is the end of the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.