1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My 2nd new car in 3 months.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    History:
    I owned my Accord for 16 years, it had 249,000 miles on it and the head gasket was going. We keep our cars a long time. My wife’s Outback is a 1997.

I wanted bigger, higher and after 30+ years of shifting, an automatic. I was just tired of shifting.

I shopped around, looked at Ford, Chevy and Subaru, which are the closest dealerships to where we live out in the boonies. I got a good deal on a 2014 Forester with 8 miles on it. The Forester I test drove and the one I bought seemed to be a difference of night and day between the ride, handling etc. It just drove me nuts and drove like a big truck. I felt every pothole, bump etc.

Saturday, I traded it in with 840 miles and bought an Outback with 7 miles on it and I love it so far. The ride is better, smoother and the interior controls are so much more intuitive then the high-tech video display with 10 menus and 30 sub menus on the Forester. I took about a $500 hit on the Forester and the Outback was $2,500 more, but after 3 days, I am so much happier.

Knowing how long we keep cars, it could be the last car I ever own.:cry: The nephews might inherit it.

2. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you traded the Forrester back in to get an Outback?
    Hmm...Well, the NEW Outbacks don't look too bad...but my favorite will always be the new Forrester.
    Either way..Subbies are bad ass.

3. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, you only lost $500 on trading in a new car that you put 840 miles on? How'd you manage that?

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hated the Forester more and more every time I drove it. I was used to a more car-like drive and it didn't have it. Like I said, the test ride I took, I thought it was a great ride.

5. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in 2002 I bought a new Saturn VUE........had it for 2 weeks and almost 500 miles and learned to hate it......took it back and got my money back.....took about 1 hour to get every dime back where it took almost 3 hours to purchase it......Go Figure.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently the Forester's are a big demand auto and there is a wait time to get one. I know i had to wait 7 weeks for mine and it wasn't a special order. I said I would except 2 different exterior colors and didn't care about the interior color. I did want the all-weather package.

7. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you a scary person? :poke: Just kidding that was a pretty good trick.

8. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scary...maybe.....LOL

But no trick......back then Saturn gave you I believe 30 days and up to 500 miles and you could bring the vehicle back for a full refund, minus .15 per mile but they didn't even do that......a year or two later Saturn changed that policy to where you could bring the vehicle back and get something different instead of your hard earned cold cash.

They were a great company to deal with....no haggling and no problems or BS when you had service done. Over the years I purchased 4 vehicles from them.

When I got my money back I went right over to their Ford Dealership and bought a Ford Escape so the company really didn't lose money on me....they own many other car dealerships and have been good to us over the many years dealing with them.

9. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For only $500 and an upcharge of $2500 i would too if i didn't like it that much. Really can't go wrong on that.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moves across country, large consumer goods expenditures … very glad you think this stuff through and then never have to look back. :wink2:

Good on ya, Joe. Sounds like you ended up where you need to be and didn't get wanked in the process; that's impressive.

I'd like to get a play car, something like a Honda S2000, but when it comes to cars we're rather, well, I don't know if cheap is the right word, so let's say were focused. We have great vehicles for us, neither of 'em is a year's worth of tuition at a middling private university. I do want to admit, however, that I'm jonesing for the next-gen VW GTI when it finally hits our shores.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife's 97 is getting old and she really likes the looks of one of her bowling teammate's VW. Don't ask me which one, but I can't even get her to look. I dragged her to the Subaru dealership on Saturday and I forgot some paperwork I needed to close the deal. I tried to get her to test a Subaru while I ran back home and she wasn't interested. She has her Outback since 97.

Her car is a 97 and her last car was a 77 Saab. Nothing in between. We both keep em! I think it's time for a new one for her, but I can't get her to even look, let alone test drive anything. 17 years old and only invested $7,900 in it for upkeep and maintenance, but, I can't get her out. "my car is fine"

I'm sure most husbands would be fine with that, but it is WI and winter etc, so I would like to put her in a new car, so there are few less worries.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love Terri's 2010 Passat.

13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

We were just having same discussion Joe. Our Accord is also 16 years old and getting close to 250,000 mark. It's due to give out.
    Not sure what direction to go, but we'd like to stick with Honda.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't consider another Honda this time just because the closest dealership is so far away.

Even near the end, I was still getting 30+ mpg with a mix of city & highway and never had to add oil between changes.

15. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 2000 Taurus that I love .....with 150k
    but when I said "lets get a new Camaro " the wife was all for it
    we got a 2013 with leather and sunroof ...we love it
    we will own this car forever

16. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe...I saw your thread and thought, wow I'm not the only crazy one..LOL:poke:

Different scenario though. We actually bought 2 new cars in the last 3 months. Actually mine is a 36 mo lease on a Jeep Compass that I'll most likely turn in at the end of the lease. My wife had a 2011 Acura MDX that we had in the shop (under warranty) numerous times and they could never get the blue tooth/phone computer to work correctly. Then they took it all apart and there were rattles in the dash. Long story short...I decided it was just one of those "lemons" and Acura had some .09% financing. So we got a new 2014 that had numerous improvements that were important to me, one being a 7 (that so far is in reality almost 10) mi/gal improvement in mileage. Kept the same payment but added 2 years to the time until we're paid off.

Nice move trading in for only a $500 loss after such a short time:nworthy:

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to see you're back posting again, Dean:thumbsup:
    The Forester had a fancy video display with about 7 menus and 20 sub menus that I could never master and the digital clock kept losing time! Not the reason I got rid of it, but a major annoyance and so damn hard to get to the clock menu to change it.
    I've got a whole 120 miles on the Outback and so far I love it!

18. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a bad deal. Good luck with it. The only better deal may have been a like-new used one. It took me decades to convince the wife to do that.

I'm on my last pickup truck- also my first. 2000 Tundra I got new. Has only 35k on the odo and I hope a lot of years left.

19. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too own Toyota Tundra but it's a 2007......this was my first non Detroit build vehicle and because of how dependable it has been I purchased the bride a 2009 Honda. Both vehicles have been amazing. Neither have ever been back to the dealership. That little Honda Civic is also amazing on gas....fill it up every 3-4 weeks.....wish I could say the same with my truck....but then again it's a work horse for hunting/fishing, towing my boat and hauling in the firewood. I hear that Detroit is now building better quality vehicles but I have no reason to switch back because I really like my Toyota and her Honda.

20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The '07 Tundras are bigger than my year but may use the same basic motor, the 4.7 liter small V-8 that was used on Land Cruisers starting around 1998. Gas mileage is why it has only 35K. I drive it one day a week plus when I actually need a truck. The vehicle has never had a problem of any kind. I feel a little guilty putting so few miles on a motor that could probably go 300K without an overhaul.

My neighbor makes fun of the Tundra because it's supposedly a consumer truck, not a work truck. Mine has done everything I ever asked of it, has been overloaded pretty badly on occasion and done fine, and it doesn't live in the shop.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.