1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

If everything in Vegas were three times more expensive right now, would you still go?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Snowbelle3, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Imagine your costs for everything in Vegas--apart from your bankroll--tripled. (And for those who have room comps, imagine that you suddenly had to pay discounted rates for your room). Would you still go? Why or why not?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simply put: NO!

3. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Ditto and the reason is obvious.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If instead of getting free rooms and a good amount of food and beverage taken care of, I just got discounted rooms…I would still go. And probably just as often as I do now. I would be a bit more conscious of how I spent my money (no more four am raids of the minibar, etc.), certainly. And I would just reduce my bankroll by whatever amount my newfound thriftiness didn’t take care of.

But, if everything cost three times what it does today…that would be the end of my Vegas travels, I think. $400-500/pp for a nice meal? $100 for burger, fries and a beer? $40 for a food court lunch? No gracias.

5. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we are assuming loss of things like My Vegas comps as well AND that even with using coupons, the cost is still 3x, then I am out.

6. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. We go to Vegas cause it gives us a good value for our vacation money. Triple would negate that good value.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope! .

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yes I would, but only because with that type of sudden inflation the bond market would collapse and I'd become unemployable. So I'd just go to Vegas to gamble and drink until I was either broke or dead.

9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not likely

I wouldn't be going, and not many would. Las Vegas is one of the most price sensitive vacation destinations in America. Typically the room rate for hotels is the lowest I've experienced on my travels and if you enjoy gambling a modest amount you can get the hotel and food for "free". If price climbs even 50% I would likely not visit. If the Canadian dollar continues to lose value to the American dollar you will see less visitors from the north this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see total visitation level or slightly down this year despite the slowly improving US economy.

10. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The having to pay discounted rates instead of my normal comp wouldn't deter me alone because I love the city and would gladly pay to visit but thankfully I get comped.

As for the 3x cost of everything, thats a definite no. Except I agree with Kickin that I'd probably still go because if you think our economy is bad now imagine what kind of spiral must be going on for inflation to arbitrarily jump 3x in Vegas or anywhere in the country.

I know this is a hypothetical and seems to me wants a responses to see how far Vegas can nickel and dime or price gouge customers until they stop coming and I have to say there is a long way to go before that happens. The most expensive standard pay rooms in Vegas still top out at $300 a night for the most part, look at a place like NYC where a standard room at some top hotels are $500+ a night easily. Not to mention you can still get Excal, Luxor, Quad, Harrahs, Ballys all for under $100 a night which is always a good price for a hotel anywhere in America but for some reason people think that's too much in Vegas but would gladly pay it for any other vacation hotel. Perspective is everything.

While people think Vegas is getting too expensive, the reality is times have changed from free rooms and $2.99 buffets. Whether that is good or bad is up to the individual. I like it because it tends to keep out the sketchy ********* (Think Cousin Eddie in Vegas Vacation) and leaves more often than not a classy environment and clientele. There are plenty of options if you want to be frugal in Vegas, you can stay downtown, off strip or at the above mentioned properties and there are plenty of food courts to eat meals under $15 a pop. A person knows whether they can afford Vegas or not and if they can't then choose another destination because Vegas won't miss them.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel like there is so much discussion of Vegas getting too expensive. It's always been the town of extravagance, it's just now that extravagance comes in many more expensive forms than the old $2.99 buffet. It's unfortunate that this price increase has alienated some Vegas lovers because I believe we all should be able to enjoy it in our own ways but again people know whether they can afford it or not and will find a way to afford it if they truly love it.

11. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, too many other places to go that would cost the same.

12. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd still go. I'm not that fussy. If I could only get discounted rooms, I'd probably just stay at cheaper places. All I really care about is clean and quiet. So whether it's Bally's or Bellagio - I don't really care. I'm not a foodie and don't eat at high end places. I just had a stay at NY NY with a $300 food comp - and mostly ate Pizza :)

13. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably not. Why? I couldn't afford it. It's a long trip for us from Orlando and we can only come about once a year as it is. Also, one of the draws for Vegas for me is that we can actually afford to go there and not have to pay for the rooms and can find lots of bargains on food and shows. If I'm going to pay out lots of money anyway, I would probably choose other locations.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone has a place where cost plus X just becomes too much to swallow depending on the value of X, be it Vegas or cars or housing or Disneyland or clothing or everything short of what keeps us alive.

To this specific question: Adios Vegas.

But again, if this house we love was three times the cost, we'd love another house. Also why I don't drive a Ferrari or drink Cristal on Friday nights. It's all about value.

15. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most likely yes because everywhere else just tripled in price with it. :)

In the mythical world though that Vegas and only Vegas prices tripled. No I wouldn't go there. I would instead book travel to visit Saturn's moons with a possibly layover on Mars. I may also consider saving up so I could instead head to the Andromeda galaxy. Not entirely sure where, I think I'd just wing it. I'd like to see it in it's nature state before it collides with us.

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  17. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3x as much? Then I'd gamble in Aruba.

man you eat expensive burgers.:eek:

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gut response is hell no. However, that's exactly what I'll be doing in 2 weeks. I blame my fool brother for picking the dates. If this trip is successful as a "family trip", I'll be picking the dates next time.

19. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I’m not talking about In-N-Out. :rolleyes2: I’m talking about one of the roughly 150 “gourmet” burger places on the strip. And $30-35 is par for the course for a burger, fries and a beer (and the tip) at one of those joints. In fact it's probably on the low end.

(I'm not saying it isn't a bit ridiculous, of course...)

20. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no. im used to getting comped rooms, have been for years, and now I do have to pay this trip. I am not for spending 200 bucks on a room, sorry..

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.